This Is What I Want by Craig Lancaster

This Is What I Want

by Craig Lancaster

A weekend long slice of life in small town Montana. Instead of conventional dramatic structure here you'll find a montage of completely believable characters re-evaluating what they know of themselves and each other. I couldn't help but speculate beyond the ending and I hope there will be a sequel. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
I've been a Craig Lancaster fan ever since I read "600 Hours of Edward" (and can't wait for book 3 of Edward!!!). His latest book simply reinforces my love of the author's writing. Craig Lancaster creates a poignant picture of small town America. The entire plot takes place over the annual Jamboree weekend in a small Midwestern town mainly focusing on one family in particular.
It took me a little to get into this book, as the setting and lots of characters, which all seemed very authentic, are introduced. At the beginning, it seems like a light, entertaining story, but stick with it, and by halfway through, it turns into something much darker and deeper. It actually had me in tears at one point. There is a lot going on! And a lot of issues are raised: life and death, gender and race, family and parenting, politics and law enforcement...
This could make a good book for a book club to discuss.
For me, the ending was rather abrupt, as I still wanted to find out what was going to happen to some of the people and needed 'closure' for some of the events that happened. But maybe that way, there could be a sequel?
I received a complimentary copy of the book via NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.
  Pet12 | Aug 4, 2015 |

Craig Lancaster is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,513,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible