I'm a Girl! by Yasmeen Ismail

I'm a Girl!

by Yasmeen Ismail

English (6)  Spanish (1)  All (7)
The eponymous girl in this engaging picture-book has to constantly correct people who assume that she is a boy, or refer to her with masculine pronouns. Just because she makes a lot of noise and mess, likes to compete athletically, and is interested in boats, people assume that she is a he. Determined to be herself, she always speaks up to set them right, affirming her identity in the process. Eventually she meets a little boy who is interested in things like dolls and princess dresses, and a beautiful friendship is born...

Although I have long been aware of Irish-born author/illustrator Yasmeen Ismail, I'm a Girl! is the first of her books that I have read. I'm glad I picked it up, as I appreciated both the narrative, which contradicts many of the stereotypes we have about gendered behavior, and the colorful artwork. I particularly liked the palette she used here, and the exuberant sense of motion she worked in throughout the book. Recommended to anyone looking for children's stories that affirm children's natural interests, and present the idea that those interests do not have to be tied to gender identity. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Aug 3, 2017 |
Fun book! ( )
  melodyreads | Dec 22, 2016 |
I love that this book shows the reader that girls can be wild, messy and loud like boys. It shows a girl breaking the stereotypes between boys and girls. It also teaches the reader to be yourself and not care about what others think of you. At first she just corrects the people that think she is a boy, but by the end of the story she gets angry with the people who call her a boy. The illustrations show that she is happy when she is being herself, but angry when she yells "I'm a girl!" I feel like this would be a great book for children to read to show that they should always be themselves. ( )
  KellyMiguelez | Sep 19, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because the author really portrays the message that the characters want to be themselves and not compared to the stereotypes of boys and girls. The pictures are a great addition to the moral of the story. Not only do they have detail, but the young girl (the main character) is illustrated as blue, showing viewers that even though she may have blue skin, she can still have similar attributes that boys do. Also, just because the main character enjoys things or is better at something that other girls are not, she is comfortable in her own skin, which portrays a strong message to the readers. On another hand, this book was told in first person, which allows for a better understanding of the story in the main character’s eyes. Lastly, the dialogue and word choice was useful because the author repeatedly added, “I am a girl,” to signify how the main character’s appearance simply does not alter her self-confidence and eagerness to be different. ( )
  mbauer9 | Sep 7, 2016 |
I like this book for 3 reasons. My first reason for liking this book is because of the writing. The book flows very well and is engaging. On every page, the little girl tells people “I am a girl.” This makes the story flow and links each page to the previous pages very well. My next reason for liking this book is because of the characters. There is a lot of action in the story. The characters are all very believable and active just like I’d expect a child to be. The characters also react in the way I’d expect and have seen actual humans react before. For example, the cheetah tells the girl to “watch out young man!” and she shouts back that she is a girl. This is very realistic and adds to the character. My last reason for liking this book is because it pushes readers to think outside of gender stereotyping. All of the things the little girl does in the book are considered to be ‘boy’ things by the people who call her a boy. By standing up for herself she is making them rethink their stereotypes about what girls and boys do. She is doing the same thing for the reader. The last page also encourages readers to like themselves and not try to fit into any stereotype or be anybody else. ( )
  mheckl1 | Feb 22, 2016 |

Meet a little girl who's spontaneous, fast, and strong and loves winning. Sometimes she's mistaken for a boy, but she definitely isn't one! When she meets a boy who likes wearing princess dresses and playing dolls, they quickly discover shared interests and a wonderful friendship.

I'm a Girl! is celebration of being who we are and not being restricted by stereotypes. Most of all it is joyful and full of energy. Be yourself - there's no one better!

When a rough and tumble little girl, who is sometimes mistaken for a boy, meets a boy who likes wearing princess dresses and playing with dolls, a wonderful friendship is born.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible