Alice's Adventures in Underland: The…

Alice's Adventures in Underland: The Queen of Stilled Hearts (Volume…

by DeAnna Knippling

Thanking the author for sending me a free copy in exchange for a review.

I love retellings, but it has become a scary thing when it comes to Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. I get either bored or annoyed and I struggle to finish the story. I had come to a point where I had enough of zombie versions and girls yielding swords.

I got seduced: Charles Dodgson aka Lewis Carroll, a zombie? In Victorian England? I never dared to think Knippling would knock my socks off. And how she did! Probably THE BEST tale in a tale I’ve ever read!

I’m blown away and looking very forward to what we’re going to get to see in Alice’s Adventures in Underland: The Knight of Shattered Dreams!
**super excited** ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Sep 2, 2015 |
FTC regulations state I must acknowledge that I’ve received a copy KINDLE Edition of this book through a giveaway on LibraryThing.com and that the following is my honest opinion.

Through NetFlix I’ve probably seen all the versions of “Alice ub Wonderland” on television and in films ever made here in the US and the UK, which is why seeing this book intrigued me enough to have entered this giveaway.

This I feel is part biographical as it pertains to the life of Carol Lewis [Charles Dodgson] since he was indeed a photographer in 1856, the year when Chapter One takes place; and that of Alice Pleasance Liddell and her family. In fact, if you look the collection of photos which exists, you’ll find one which closely matches the illustrations of Alice in the original edition of the books.

Ms. Knippling takes this relationship between Lewis, the Liddells, and then throws in zombies holding professional positions in Victorian England’s society along with the charm of the era but with mischievous children. If they got their daily dose of a special serum which controlled their normal behavior they could also hold menial jobs such as servants and the like; if not, the macabre aspect of the story takes over, giving us the intriguing read the author has given us here in the retelling of the story we came to love as children.

While blending of the genres of zombie and classical children’s literature is interesting; it’s not totally original as there had a series of books containing Alice and other characters from Wonderland set in a world of zombies. I feel it the author’s love of these items which had influenced her to write this book, and why I’m giving it 4 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Aug 16, 2015 |
I'll start of by saying I've never "read" Alice in Wonderland. Of course, I did see Disney's version of it years ago, but never the printed word. That said, DeAnna's Adventures in Underland has convinced me that I am going to have to correct this omission. I found this macabre story fascinating from start to finish. I don't follow a lot of zombie literature and I wouldn't group this beautifully crafted story in the zombie genre. But it does have zombies, Victorian England, and mischievous children. The tale within the tale is read by the family tutor (a zombie professor) and the inventiveness of the tale, weaving in much of the Alice in Wonderland plot is a joy to read. All in all, a fun read for all ages. DeAnna's creativity never ceases to impress. ( )
  RichardABamberg | Aug 15, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

DeAnna Knippling's book Alice's Adventures in Underland was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

DeAnna Knippling is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible