Ransom Canyon by Jodi Thomas

Ransom Canyon

by Jodi Thomas

Ransom Canyon & Crossroads, Texas

Staten Kirkland is a rancher and also the last descendant of Ransom Canyon’s founding father. He is also practical and rugged. When his troubling memoires threaten to overwhelm him he runs to Quinn O’Grady. No one knows that he does so. Quinn is reclusive and lovely and has her own secret that no one living knows about.

Lucas Reyes is young and a ranch hand’s son but he has his eye on the prize of college and a chance to be more. His life is set on a course he hadn’t imagined one night with one wrong decision.

Yancy Grey has a troubled past that he is running hard from. He doesn’t plan on sticking around Ransom Canyon. He just wants to be around long enough to learn the town’s weaknesses and how he can use them for his personal gain. He has been a common criminal since he was old enough to reach a car’s pedals. He also isn’t prepared for what he encounters.

This is a great book that has several stories going that are woven together brilliantly. It makes for a book that is hard to put done and will have readers happy that it is the start of a series. The town comes to life with all the characters that live in and around the small town. It will be interesting to see where the series goes and to see what happens to the characters of the town. For those that enjoy small town romances and western romances this is definitely a book to check out. It will also have readers wanting to see what else the author has written. ( )
  lrhubble | Oct 11, 2015 |
I have read several of Jodi's books and always thought the storyline was well thought out and moved at a good pace. As I began to read her newest book, I began to wonder where the story was going. We have Staten Kirkland, a rancher who lost his wife to an illness that is emotionly drained. But death would knock on his door once again. This time it is his beloved son was has tragically been killed in a car accident. How much more heartache can he withstand? During his darkest moments over the years, he has secretly turned to Quinn, his wives's best friend for comfort. It's an odd relationship and one I had a hard time accepting. He goes there late at night to her house, and leaves soon after. It seems almost like a cold and calculated use of a woman. Will Quinn continue to allow Staten into her bed whenever he feels down? Has Quinn's feeling for Staten become more than just a need to be close to him? Quinn seems to be a woman that has yearned for Staten for years and is willing to continue to be used by him hoping his feeling will suddenly change.

Lucas is a nice surprise in the book. A young man who is respectful and a hard worker. He has big plans and his main goal is to leave the little town and make it to college . Being a ranch hand is respectful work, but his desire reaches much bigger than an extra hand for a ranch. Will his night out with friends change everything? Can one mistake , one poor choice change his destiny?

Yancy Grey is my favorite character in the book. The author does an amazing job of giving him an attitude of take what you can from whoever you can. He has just been released from prison and needs a small town to start over. He has plans to make a new start. What better place then a laid back sleepy town . When he comes upon a group of senior citizens, will they welcome him? Can Yancey protect this group from people who want to take advantage of them?

The authors description of the town is well done with a feeling of storefront shops and friendly people just waiting to say hi. Overall it's a good story of romance, working together, dealing with the past and finding happiness. The town is very picturesque with a sweeping of land spread as far as the eyes can see. Most romance readers will not be disappointed in Jodi's new book to Ransome Canyon.

I received a copy of this book from the author for an honest review ( )
  Harley0326 | Sep 28, 2015 |
Staten Kirkland is no stranger to grief. After the loss of his wife and son, it seems he doesn’t have much left to live for. For the most part, he’s able to bury his pain in the work on his cattle ranch, but on dark stormy nights, Staten seeks comfort in the arms of the only woman who could ever understand, the shy and troubled Quinn O’Grady.

Lucas Reyes is a young but ambitious hand on the Kirkland ranch. While the other boys in high school fight for the limelight, Lucas prefers to keep his head down and stay focused on his plans for the future. Preparing for an early start at college, everything seems to be going according to plan- that is, until he falls for the local sheriffs daughter after one fateful night that will forever change the course of their young lives.

Fresh out of prison, Yancy Grey is looking for a new start, and he figures Crossroads, TX is as good a place for that as any. After happening upon a quirky group of seniors in a retirement community, Yancy’s first thought is to take advantage of their good nature until he can get on his feet. But the more time he spends with the colorful bunch, the more he begins to think of them as family, and when old enemies from his past come to town, he knows he needs to do everything he can to protect them. But at what cost?

For those of us who were sorry to say goodbye to the people of Harmony, Ransom Canyon begins a wonderful new series by renowned author Jodi Thomas. Written in her trademark style, Thomas seamlessly blends each character’s backstory together into an increasingly suspenseful plot that makes her books so utterly un-put-downable! This book provides readers a heart-pounding, page-turning ride through the rugged beauty of rural Texas, full of colorful characters that step right out of the pages and invite you into their world of Ransom Canyon. Highly recommended!

Rating: 4 stars

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Marieange | Aug 31, 2015 |
Ransom Canyon is a beautifully written, dramatic and intriguing read. I have heard many great things from other romance readers about Jodi Thomas. I personally have never read any of her books before, so when given the opportunity to read the first book in her new series I decided to jump on it.

Ransom Canyon is a sleepy little town in the remote Texas landscape. A place where everyone knows everyone one, and where people are so trusting they never lock their doors. The people are engaging, especially the senior citizens. They were completely adorable and hilarious.

The story follows multiple couples on their journey to true love. I admit I struggled a bit connecting with the couples due to the multiple romantic story lines since I’m used to one couple per book. Maybe I just need to get used it, I’m not sure. I am definitely willing to give it another go though because I found other parts of the story very compelling.

Thomas brilliantly captured small town life in the world she created in Ransom Canyon. The setting was so vivid in my mind while reading, and long after I put down the book. As a reader I could definitely sense the overall love for the land that the people of Ransom Canyon shared, as well as the struggles to survive in it. One of my favorite spots captured in the book was the Gypsy House, it really felt like a secondary character in the book because of the way it seemed to draw people to it. There is some background given about the home, not a lot though so I hope we get more information about the tragedy that took place to turn it into a haunted house.

Leo and the gang of retirees completely stole the show in this book for me. Their inquisitive nature was a great diversion from the drama and suspense going on with the main characters in the book. Maybe it’s just me but every time Mrs. Kirkland, Staten’s grandma, popped up I kept picturing her as Betty White. I loved her character. She’s feisty, outspoken, and hilarious.

Overall, Ransom Canyon was a good start to Jodi Thomas’ new series. A good mix of romance, adventure, suspense, and humor that creates a solid “feel good” read. Some of my favorite things about this book was the setting, especially the old Gypsy House, and the secondary characters. Although, I did struggle connecting with the multiple couples I am looking forward to the next book. I think I just need to get used to this style, because I loved the rest of the book. If you are looking for a romance with cowboys, small-town setting, adventure, humor, or suspense then I recommend this book. If you enjoy a quick “feel good” read then I recommend this book too.

Notable quotes/parts:

“He felt as if he and Quinn were the leftovers, for the best of them had both died with Amalah.”

“Lucas never felt lighthearted, he had too many plans, too much to do, too much responsibility on his shoulders as the oldest child. But at this moment, with Lauren at his side, he was Peter Pan and she was his Wendy.”

Rating: 3 out 5 stars – I liked it

**An ARC was provided by HQN Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  azprettygrl | Aug 26, 2015 |
I am a fan of Jodi Thomas. I have enjoyed reading many of her books from her Harmony series. So when I saw her coming out with a new book from a new series, I was excited. Ransom Canyon is the first book in the Ransom Canyon series.

While I did like this book and thought it was a nice start to this new series, I cannot rightfully say that I am in love with the characters at this moment. Thus I cannot remember all of the details of each story line. Although the location that this new series centers around is nice. I look forward to reading the next book in this series and getting to know more people of Ransom Canyon. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 31, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373788444, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times bestselling author Jodi Thomas comes the first book in a compelling, emotionally resonant series set in a remote west Texas town—where family can be made by blood or by choice

Rancher Staten Kirkland, the last descendant of Ransom Canyon's founding father, is rugged and practical to the last. No one knows that when his troubling memories threaten to overwhelm him, he runs to lovely, reclusive Quinn O'Grady…or that she has her own secret that no one living knows.

Young Lucas Reyes has his eye on the prize—college, and the chance to become something more than a ranch hand's son. But one night, one wrong decision, will set his life on a course even he hadn't imagined.

Yancy Grey is running hard from his troubled past. He doesn't plan to stick around Ransom Canyon, just long enough to learn the town's weaknesses and how to use them for personal gain. Only Yancy, a common criminal since he was old enough to reach a car's pedals, isn't prepared for what he encounters.

In this dramatic new series, the lives, loves and ambitions of four families will converge, set against a landscape that can be as unforgiving as it is beautiful, where passion, property and pride are worth fighting—and even dying—for.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 31 Jul 2015 22:54:02 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible