Everything Is Teeth by Evie Wyld

Everything Is Teeth (2016)

by Evie Wyld, Joe Sumner (Illustrator)

This book is strange and beautiful. This is for anyone who had anxiety or anxious fixations as a kid, who loves sea life, or is just a curious soul who likes to internet research the hell out of any topic they are currently interested in. This book is as much about pop culture and shark attacks as it is about the complexities, and sometimes blessings, of anxiety. ( )
  GabbyF | Jul 2, 2017 |
Thanks to a newly discovered YouTuber, Mercedes, I was made aware of what promised to be a very beautiful and interesting graphic novel by the name of Everything Is Teeth. Written by Evie Wyld and illustrated by Joe Sumner, this is the story of Evie's childhood obsession with sharks. It was the artwork that drew me in. Both cartoonish and realistic, the characters (most especially the sharks) seem to come to life with every turn of the page. The story follows her as she travels with her family to Australia to visit relatives and there her fascination with sharks truly blossoms. It's a rather surreal portrayal of a little girl who seems to live in a world which is invisible to all others. As she walks down the sidewalk to school what follows along in her wake? A shark. As she lounges on the couch why must she keep her legs from touching the floor? A shark. It's bizarre and at times slightly disjointed. I'm still not entirely sure I understood her relationship with her family or what exactly was going on with her brother. Maybe that's the point? I'd say this book is worth looking into for the artwork (not the cartoonish bits which I didn't really like as much) alone. However, I must caution that there are some rather gory bits if that's not your cup of tea. 😈 ( )
  AliceaP | Aug 26, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book-- enough that I will probably return to Barnes 'N Nobles and buy it. This was a quick read-- because the pictures told most of the story, and the text was so concisely and artfully crafted that the story flowed very smoothly. I wanted to read more and more! Joe Sumner, the illustrator, did a really cool thing when he made the main girl & her family in black and white drawing-form, and all of the sea creatures in colored, magazine-cut out/more realistic photographic form! The contrast really makes all of the sharks pop-- and they are the main focus of the book after all. I really related to this one, because the autistic 8-year-old boy that I work with is very obsessed with sharks and other marine animals. His mind works just like this girl's!
  Andrea_LaLonde | Aug 12, 2016 |
Very good graphic memoir, but if you have a fear of sharks, you might want to skip it. It gets a bit dark and scary. ( )
  msf59 | Jun 17, 2016 |
LOVED this!! ( )
  KristiAnneS | May 25, 2016 |

Evie Wyldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sumner, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Blair, KellyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's not the images that come first when I think of the parts of my childhood spend in Australia.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 022409971X, Hardcover)

Evie Wyld was a girl obsessed with sharks. Spending summers in the brutal heat of coastal New South Wales, she fell for the creatures. Their teeth, their skin, their eyes; their hunters and their victims. Everything is Teeth is a delicate and intimate collection of the memories she brought home to England, a book about family, love and the irresistible forces that pass through life unseen, under the surface, ready to emerge at any point.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 01 Aug 2015 01:08:26 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible