The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause

The Silver Kiss

by Annette Curtis Klause

Sunshine by Robin McKinley (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: Another vampire story with complicated, interesting characters and no simplistic painting of the vampire as a tragic romantic hero.
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (rose_81)
    The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce (infiniteletters)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (kaledrina)
    Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde (Konran)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)

English (61)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All (64)
I love vampire books. I don't know why I never read this one sooner. I"m glad I bought the copy that has the two short stories added. I like that the vampire Simon had a soft spot for cats.

I liked this book a lot. I couldn't put it down. I like that Simon is like the old vampires. He doesn't sparkle. He's not moody and depressing. I fell in love with him. I would love to meet Simon.

The story makes me sad. It had a happy-sad ending. If that makes sense. But I wished it had an all happy ending.

I feel bad for Zoe, although I wasn't really attached to her as much, but her life definitely sucked. Losing a best friend, her mother dying and her father isn't talking to her. Sucks a nut.

I want to read more about Simon and his life before he met Zoe. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
Senza dubbio questo è un libro per ragazzi di una certa fascia d'età e con determinate aspettative nei confronti di un libro fantasy.
Io, nonostante ciò, mi sono ritrovata in più punti a commuovermi. I temi trattati sono molto 'umani', cupi e tristi che finiscono per usare il fattore 'paranormale' solo come espediente per affrontare tematiche generalmente tutt'altro che piacevoli. Breve e scorrevole è un romanzo che si legge tutto d'un fiato, che commuove e che soprattutto fa pensare. Ben lontano dal commerciale Twilight dato che è stato scritto più di 10 anni fa (1990) ritroviamo la protagonista Zoe a far i conti con la malattia terminale della madre e con il senso di abbandono e rabbia verso un padre così preso dal dolore e dal compito di 'accudire' la malata che spesso dimentica quale siano le esigenze di una 'figlia'. Su questo sfondo viene affrontato un altro tema ovvero il distacco dalla propria amica del 'cuore' ed il mutamento irreversibile della pripria 'realtà'. E mentre Zoe lotta per non farsi sommergere dalla marea degli eventi che la stanno affondando fa la sua comparsa Simon, un vampiro. Certamente la scrittrice avrebbe potuto approfondire decisamente di più la storia ma, come già detto, questo è un libro pensato per dei ragazzi quindi ci sta bene la 'velocità' del romanzo che colpisce e scuote la mente scivolando via verso una fine, per una volta, non scontata ed abbastanza dura da non rovinare il suo intento.
Decisamente un bel romanzo. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
Oh, man. If only I had read this when I was like 8-12 I would have been ALL OVER IT. I was SO into vampires and this is the perfect book for that age. It has romance tinged with some spine-tingling elements and is written in beautifully descriptive, moody language (and full of angst!) Now I’m too old, feeling vampire fatigue after all that’s come out in the past few decades and can’t help thinking of this as “Anne Rice-lite.” However, if you haven’t read a ton of vampire books already, then by all means give this a try - it’s well written and there are some interesting takes on the lore here; I especially like what the author does in regards to vampire’s shape-shifting and needing to keep soil of their native land with them at all times.

Zoe is a teenager struggling with grief as her mother is in the hospital and her father has grown more and more distant, spending all his time with his dying wife. They very rarely allow Zoe to visit. Her best friend is moving away, so she doesn’t even have anyone to talk to about these things, leaving her feeling isolated and depressed. Then she meets Simon, a beautiful, mysterious boy with an oddly old fashioned manner of speaking.

Simon is a vampire, but he tries to survive on the blood of animals. However, his younger brother, Christopher - forever in the body of a small child - is a brutal serial killer, responsible for a recent string of murders. So we get to see both the “vampire as a teenage heartthrob” and “vampire as a blood-drinking monster” in the same book, which is a nice way of doing it. I also like how Zoe’s grief and isolation tie into the vampire theme and even though its a short book there is significant character growth for both her and Simon.

“I should be disgusted, she thought. But no, it wasn’t disgusting now that she thought of it, but it was frightening. You could rush into your death unknowing, inviting, enjoying the ecstasy of it, burned up in bright light like a moth. She hadn’t wanted him to stop.” p.132 ( )
  catfantastic | Dec 19, 2016 |
Zoe's mother is dying and she's wasting away with grief--and then she meets Simon, a beautiful and tormented vampire. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A YA vampire novel...

17-year old Zoe's mother is dying of cancer, her father is emotionally shut down away from her, and her best friend is moving away...
Then she meets a mysterious and attractive young man in the park late at night... unknown to her, Simon is actually a 17th-century vampire on a quest to destroy his murderous younger brother, also a vampire...

a quick read. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Annette Curtis Klauseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Larry Callen, who talked me into writing a novel; and to the Tuesday Night Writing Group, who kept me going- you know who you are.
The house was empty.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440213460, Mass Market Paperback)

Zoe is wary when, in the dead of night, the beautiful yet frightening Simon comes to her house.  Simon seems to understand the pain of loneliness and death and Zoe's brooding thoughts of her dying mother.

Simon is one of the undead, a vampire, seeking revenge for the gruesome death of his mother three hundred years before.  Does Simon dare ask Zoe to help free him from this lifeless chase and its insufferable loneliness?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:28 -0400)

A mysterious teenage boy harboring a dark secret helps Zoe come to terms with her mother's terminal illness.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,045,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible