The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause

The Silver Kiss

by Annette Curtis Klause

Sunshine by Robin McKinley (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: Another vampire story with complicated, interesting characters and no simplistic painting of the vampire as a tragic romantic hero.
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (rose_81)
    The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce (infiniteletters)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (kaledrina)
    Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde (Konran)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)

English (59)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All (62)
Oh, man. If only I had read this when I was like 8-12 I would have been ALL OVER IT. I was SO into vampires and this is the perfect book for that age. It has romance tinged with some spine-tingling elements and is written in beautifully descriptive, moody language (and full of angst!) Now I’m too old, feeling vampire fatigue after all that’s come out in the past few decades and can’t help thinking of this as “Anne Rice-lite.” However, if you haven’t read a ton of vampire books already, then by all means give this a try - it’s well written and there are some interesting takes on the lore here; I especially like what the author does in regards to vampire’s shape-shifting and needing to keep soil of their native land with them at all times.

Zoe is a teenager struggling with grief as her mother is in the hospital and her father has grown more and more distant, spending all his time with his dying wife. They very rarely allow Zoe to visit. Her best friend is moving away, so she doesn’t even have anyone to talk to about these things, leaving her feeling isolated and depressed. Then she meets Simon, a beautiful, mysterious boy with an oddly old fashioned manner of speaking.

Simon is a vampire, but he tries to survive on the blood of animals. However, his younger brother, Christopher - forever in the body of a small child - is a brutal serial killer, responsible for a recent string of murders. So we get to see both the “vampire as a teenage heartthrob” and “vampire as a blood-drinking monster” in the same book, which is a nice way of doing it. I also like how Zoe’s grief and isolation tie into the vampire theme and even though its a short book there is significant character growth for both her and Simon.

“I should be disgusted, she thought. But no, it wasn’t disgusting now that she thought of it, but it was frightening. You could rush into your death unknowing, inviting, enjoying the ecstasy of it, burned up in bright light like a moth. She hadn’t wanted him to stop.” p.132 ( )
  catfantastic | Dec 19, 2016 |
Zoe's mother is dying and she's wasting away with grief--and then she meets Simon, a beautiful and tormented vampire. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A YA vampire novel...

17-year old Zoe's mother is dying of cancer, her father is emotionally shut down away from her, and her best friend is moving away...
Then she meets a mysterious and attractive young man in the park late at night... unknown to her, Simon is actually a 17th-century vampire on a quest to destroy his murderous younger brother, also a vampire...

a quick read. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This book got me into vampire stories though this story is nothing like today's vampire stories. More old school not so mainstream like they're today. The two main characters have a connection and seem to fall into each others lives at the right time. The characters are beautifully described. All I can say is just read it. It's a quick read. I've read it twice just because. ( )
  Ahopkinsbibliomaniac | Jan 10, 2015 |
Nonostante sia improntato su note tristi e malinconiche l'ho trovato molto bello. E' la lotta di Zoe per ritovare equilibrio in una vita che stà andando a catafascio. E che infine trova in chi mai si sarebbe aspettata. E' la lotta di Simon che cerca di non perdere se stesso. E si ritrova in Zoe. ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Feb 5, 2014 |

Annette Curtis Klauseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Larry Callen, who talked me into writing a novel; and to the Tuesday Night Writing Group, who kept me going- you know who you are.
The house was empty.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440213460, Mass Market Paperback)

Zoe is wary when, in the dead of night, the beautiful yet frightening Simon comes to her house.  Simon seems to understand the pain of loneliness and death and Zoe's brooding thoughts of her dying mother.

Simon is one of the undead, a vampire, seeking revenge for the gruesome death of his mother three hundred years before.  Does Simon dare ask Zoe to help free him from this lifeless chase and its insufferable loneliness?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:28 -0400)

A mysterious teenage boy harboring a dark secret helps Zoe come to terms with her mother's terminal illness.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,461,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible