Something to Hide by Deborah Moggach

Something to Hide

by Deborah Moggach

I picked this book up at Heathrow Airport on my way back out to China, and when I flipped through it on the plane I wondered why I'd bought it. However, three days ago I picked it up and within a nano-second was completely engrossed!. Moggach skillfully weaves the stories of several individuals into a cracking tale.
The barren wife of a rich Chinese businessman; the happily married wife (mother of two kids) of an American soldier serving in Iraq. A middle classed post menopausal women who embarks on a life-changing affair with the husband of her oldest friend...
Its a cracking tale, you learn a great deal along the way, and the outcome is not what you expect ---- wonderful escapism in a book! ( )
  herschelian | Mar 29, 2017 |
Yesterday I read Deborah Moggach's - Something to Hide. I liked her novel Tulip Fever and the one that became The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel or whatever that movie was. This was like a Lifetime movie - if Lifetime characters were allowed to say fuck and cunt.

She is good at the plot juggling and the overlapping story lines. Perfectly pleasing. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
This is about 4 women with very tenuous links - apart from Bev and Petra who are best friends. There are a few twists and turns to keep the reader guessing, some vivid descriptions, especially of Africa. Bev and Petra were not the most likeable of people and not much was said about Lorrie (the American) or Li-Jing (the Chinese lady). It was an easy book to whizz through with some thought provoking topics. ( )
  boudicca123 | Nov 30, 2015 |
The beginning of this book introduces three characters who seem ordinary people, living everyday lives, facing challenges which we or our family/friends/neighbours are facing every day. What is there about them that could possibly be of interest to me? But Deborah Moggach draws me into their stories until I read late into the night.
The Prologue is set in Africa, the plot revolves around Africa though not always in an obvious way. Don’t read the ‘Dear Reader’ letter from Moggach at the front of the book, save it until you’ve finished reading. That way, you will turn the page, drawn into the story of each woman - Lorrie in the USA, Jing and her husband in China, Petra in London – wondering how they can possibly be connected. Their situations are universal and Moggach demonstrates how globally connected we are these days, globally similar despite our assumptions and generalizations about things we know nothing about. But at the end of the day, it is a book about those universal things: love and lies.
This is a thoughtful book, with dramatic settings. I can certainly see it as a film.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 30, 2015 |
Deborah Moggach’s latest novel takes the form of intertwined separate narratives, one of which is told in the first person by Petra, a divorcee in her late fifties or early sixties, while the others are third person accounts of events affecting Lorrie, the self-consciously overweight American wife of a soldier currently serving in Iraq, and Li-Jing, the wife of a successful businessman from Beijing who is struggling to come to terms with her inability to conceive.

As the novel opens it is difficult to imagine how these separate storylines, unwinding on different continents, might coalesce. Moggach does, however, unravel the disparate plotlines very deftly, and their nexus proves to be on a fourth continent, in a fictional state in West Africa.

The story touches on a wide range of emotions – bitterness, resentfulness, jealousy, love and fear of loneliness – though is never bogged down in undue sentiment. None of the characters are particularly likeable though she sparks our interest in all of their plights. I am not wholly convinced of the plausibility of the story line, but I was able to suspend my disbelief while reading the book.

This was not the best of her books that I have read, but was still very enjoyable despite that. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Aug 3, 2015 |

"Petra’s romantic life has always been a car crash, and even in her sixties she’s still getting it disastrously wrong. And then she falls in love with Jeremy, an old friend visiting from abroad. There’s just one catch: Jeremy is married to her best friend, Bev. Meanwhile, on opposite sides of the world, two other women are also struggling with the weight of betrayal: Lorrie, a Texan, is about to embark on the biggest deception of her life, and in China, Li Jing is trying to understand exactly what it is her husband does on his business trips. It turns out that no matter where you are in the world or how well you think you know the one you love, everyone has secrets." --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,371,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible