The Good Neighbor by A. J. Banner

The Good Neighbor

by A. J. Banner

Sarah and her husband Johnny have a perfect life together. They live on an idyllic street with nice neighbors and now they are trying to have a child. But everything changes one night when Johnny is away. The house beside theirs burns down and Sarah is injured and their house is also damaged. Sarah and Johnny have to move away to a new house and slowly try to move on, but Sarah feels that something is wrong. Johnny is acting strangely after the fire. Soon she doesn't know what to believe, is their marriage at risk, or is she being paranoid?

This is a fast-paced book with short chapters. Which meant when I started to read it last night was it hard to stop because I really wanted to know the truth about the fire, about Sarah's marriage. If she was being paranoid or not. So I read half the book even though I was only going to read a little.

It's not a perfect book. I feel the ending was a bit too open for my taste. But still a good ending, I wasn't disappointed over it. I just felt that, unless there will be a sequel was it left way too open.

But in the end, did I find The Good Neighbor to be a good mystery book. I enjoyed reading it and I especially liked that it was a fast-paced that was something I needed after having read some heavier books lately.

Thanks to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
I agree with the person who said this would be a good Lifetime movie. I kept waiting for the suspense and was disappointed each time. Was an ok short read. ( )
  CorTim2 | Apr 4, 2017 |
When I first found The Good Neighbor by A.J. Banner, I was excited to read it because I have really been into psychological thrillers like Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train, just to name a few. I started the book and was pretty much hooked after the first couple of chapters.
The author had me pitted against the wrong character from the very beginning and I totally disliked this person by the middle of the book, only to find out that I was completely wrong. The twist at the end took me by surprise as I never would've suspected this person at all.
The suspense in the story was beyond fantastic and the build-up to the conclusion was superb as well. Ms. Banner definitely knows how to keep you guessing. The author is a skilled writer who knows how to keep the reader invested in the story. I love it when I find out that everything I thought I had figured out is wrong. That's what makes a good thriller. The only thing that would've changed my rating from "really liked" to "loved" would have been to extend the part leading up to the ending just a little more. I would've loved to follow along in a more drawn-out version as Sarah picked up tiny pieces of the puzzle and put it all together leading to the same unexpected conclusion. But, that being said, I would still highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good suspenseful read and I will definitely be watching for more from this author as well. ( )
  kitchenwitch04 | Oct 24, 2016 |
Captivating and emotional

This story held on to so many characters that you were always guessing the next move. Written beautifully and captivating to the last page. I fell in love with the main characters realistic traits and flaws. By the end, I wanted to hug her myself. ( )
  Literature_Owl | May 26, 2016 |
Good read. It was predictable but enjoyable. I did not care for the ending and who the villain turned out to be. ( )
  jhadsell | Mar 23, 2016 |

Shadow Cove, Washington, is the kind of town everyone dreams about--quaint streets, lush forests, good neighbors. That's what Sarah thinks as she settles into life with her new husband, Dr. Johnny McDonald. But all too soon she discovers an undercurrent of deception. And one October evening when Johnny is away, sudden tragedy destroys Sarah's happiness. Dazed and stricken with grief, she and Johnny begin to rebuild their shattered lives. As she picks up the pieces of her broken home, Sarah discovers a shocking secret that forces her to doubt everything she thought was true--about her neighbors, her friends, and even her marriage. With each stunning revelation, Sarah must ask herself, Can we ever really know the ones we love?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,997,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible