The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories…

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

by Howard Phillips Lovecraft

English (44)  Swedish (1)  All languages (45)
DNF. I got through Herbert West, Reanimator.

susanramirez | Sep 17, 2018 |
Somehow I have lived 30 years without reading a word of Lovecraft. That changed this year when I picked up the beautiful Penguin Orange copy of Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories. Most stories were so brilliant and creepy that the feeling stayed with me for hours after. Some were just okay, but just okay Lovecraft is better than most. His quintessential stories are here in this collection and recommended by a first reader like me. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Aug 27, 2018 |
It took much longer than expected, but I finally finished reading every story from H.P. Lovecraft's "Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories," a collection of the early 1900s horror writer's short stories. I actually bought this book over a half-decade ago, after hearing many references to the writer's work over the years, but it sat unread for all that time simply because of life's distractions. Thinking I'd at least give "Call of Cthulhu" a shot before giving it away as part of old book clutter, I was immediately drawn in by the very interesting writing style and vivid visuals Lovecraft portrayed. I then read a few more short stories, to see if he was merely a one-trick pony, but I soon discovered all the tales in this book were very different in setting and twist and creepiness, and I put almost all of my other reading to-do list books on the back-burner, just because this book was so good.

What I love most about Lovecraft's style are his detailed descriptions of things such as the smells and texture of the environments you're thrust into, and the meticulous writing style -- such as when a protagonist attempts to flee from a creepy hotel -- really helps the reader understand what's happening (most of the time it works very well). I also enjoy how unique his mythos and creepy historical info is that he made up, such as the weird names, places, objects, creatures and events that can't be found anywhere else except his work. Lovecraft's creativity is best displayed in the way he paints the world, such as when he talks of sailors discovering a mysterious island, full of structures...whose "geometry is all wrong." No two readers will envision the settings the same way, but all will think of otherworldly things. That's where H.P. Lovecraft shines.

The biggest complaint I'd have is that the same detail can often slow down reading progress, and can definitely be seen as a roadblock for most readers -- especially the short story variety, who don't necessarily want to spend hours poring over what should be a fairly straight-forward tale.

My only other complaints would be the somewhat repetitive storytelling approach, in that you are often given extremely detailed accounts of what already happened via some luckily-found journal or collection of notes ... or even worse, some character in the story (of which there are few in most Lovecraft tales) delivers a lengthy narration of crucial/plot-specific details that are absolutely necessary for anything to make sense. It's also odd how Lovecraft can take pages describing a character entering or exploring an old church, for example, but then describes his retreat from it in a mere sentence or two as if nothing interesting happened on the way out.

Regardless of those issues though, you can still see how influential Lovecraft was in later horror work, as I've seen many Twilight Zone and Stephen King shows and movies, respectively, that borrow heavily from the New England writer's take on the paranormal and mysterious things of the world. ( )
  scottcarmich | May 29, 2018 |
The fact that I can spell Cthulhu without having to look it up says something about how much I like Lovecraft. His style is... out of style, but he created a masterful mythos. These are the stories I read by candle or gaslight on stormy nights with a cup of tea and bag of popcorn. His monsters aren't threateningly real, so I can happily set aside rationality and just enjoy the fantasy. ( )
  Lndlindsey | Mar 9, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book, as a classic. As an inspiration for tons of D&D/RPG 'horror,' however, I just don't get it. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |

Howard Phillips Lovecraftprimary authorall editionscalculated
Joshi, S. T.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am writing this under an appreciable mental strain, since by tonight I shall be no more.
This work should include the Penguin edition along with other collections containing the following stories:

Dagon -- Statement of Randolph Carter -- Facts concerning the late Arthur Jermyn and his family -- Celephais -- Nyarlathotep -- Picture in the house -- Outsider -- Herbert West--Reanimator -- Hound -- Rats in the walls -- Festival -- He -- Cool air -- Call of Cthulhu -- Colour out of space -- Whisperer in darkness -- Shadow over Innsmouth -- Haunter of the dark

Please keep separate the individual short story as well as collections with differing contents.
Contains the following novellas and short stories.

Dagon
The Whisperer In Darkness
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Dreams In The Witch House
The Haunter Of The Dark

Frequently imitated and widely influential, H. P. Lovecraft reinvented the horror genre for the twentieth century. Discarding witches and ghosts, he envisaged mankind as an outpost of dwindling sanity in a chaotic and malevolent universe. S. T. Joshi makes his selection from the early tales of nightmares and madness to the overpowering cosmic terror of 'The Call of Cthulhu'. This is the first paperback edition to include the definitive corrected texts of these classics of American fantasy fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:13 -0400)

Frequently imitated and widely influential, Howard Phillips Lovecraft reinvented the horror genre in the twentieth century, discarding ghosts and witches and envisioning instead mankind as a tiny outpost of dwindling sanity in a chaotic and malevolent universe. Love craft's preeminent interpreter S. T. Joshi presents a selection of the master's fiction, from the early tales of nightmares and madness such as "The Outsider" and "Rats in the Walls," through the grotesquely comic "Herbert West-Reanimator" and "The Hound," to the overpowering cosmic terror of "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "The Call of Cthulhu." The first paperback edition to include the definitive corrected texts, The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories reveals the development of Lovecraft's mesmerizing narrative style and establishes him as a canonical-and visionary-American writer.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141187069, 0143106481

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,547,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible