The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories:…

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories: (Penguin Classics Deluxe… (edition 2011)

by H. P. Lovecraft, S. T. Joshi (Editor), Travis Louie (Illustrator)

Member:FrancoisTremblay
Title:The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Authors:H. P. Lovecraft
Other authors:S. T. Joshi (Editor), Travis Louie (Illustrator)
Info:Penguin Classics (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Rating:***

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H. P. Lovecraft

English (35)  Swedish (1)  All languages (36)
I’m pretty sure I’ve read Lovecraft in the past – in fact, I have a quite vivid memory of the cover art of a Lovecraft collection which, I think, I borrowed from Coventry City Library back in the early 1990s. It’s hard to be sure, given there’s so many different ways to pick up knowledge of his oeuvre and the Cthulhu mythos – I used to play the Call of Cthulhu RPG when I was at school, for example. Having said that, none of the stories in The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories seemed especially familiar. I’d always thought Lovecraft’s prose of poor quality, and despite a recent discussion on that subject, I suspect I may be revising my opinion. The early stuff is pretty bad – Q: when is a door not a door? A: when it’s a “panelled portal”; and Lovecraft had a bad habit of saying something is indescribable… and then going on to describe it. But by the late 1920s, his writing had improved hugely, and in stories like ‘The Call of Cthulhu’ (1928) and ‘The Shadow of Innsmouth’ (1931), he’d toned down his love of adjectives to great effect; and while he might still recycle his favourite words a few times too often, the less-is-more approach was certainly better at evoking eldritch horror. I have to admit, I enjoyed this collection a lot more than I’d expected. Happily, I bought all three of the Penguin Modern Classic Lovecraft books, so I have The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories and The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories, all in nice matching paperback editions. ( )
  iansales | Sep 17, 2014 |
A selection of weird tales from the master of weird fiction. The epononymous work, Colour out of Space, The Whisperer in Darkness, and the Haunter of the Dark are the standouts. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

Ask any writer of horror, fantasy, or weird fiction who their influences were and H.P. Lovecraft??s name is almost sure to come up, especially if theyƒ??re over the age of 50. For this reason alone, all true fans of these genres must experience H.P. Lovecraftƒ??s work for themselves. Think of it as ƒ??required reading.ƒ? Even if you donƒ??t read horror or weird tales, Lovecraftƒ??s Cthulhu mythos pops up regularly in fantasy literature, games, television, music, and art, so itƒ??s a good idea to get a little of it under your belt.

If you want to get a good quick culturally-relevant dose of Lovecraft, I recommend The Call of Cthulhu and Other Stories which is available in several editions. I listened to Naxos AudioBooksƒ?? version read by William Roberts, which I downloaded... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/horrible-monday-the-call-of-cthulhu-and... ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
S. T. told me, in one of our live YouTube videos, that he considers this book, his first of three volumes for Penguin Classics, to be his single best, most important selection of Lovecraft's tales. I've reviewed the book below, but I want here to emphasize that I return to this single edition again and again, to reread the excellent Introduction or to study the Notes at the end of the book, which not only explain obscure words and such, but give wee details concerning Lovecraft's writing of these wonderful tales. I especially love the cover that Penguin gave this book. ( )
1 vote wilum | Jan 13, 2014 |
Not everyone likes reading this as much as I do. Many like minded people have told me they enjoy Anne Rice or Poe more. These weird little tales by HP Lovecraft are by far my favorites. Darker than other horror stories, the good and evil in these stories are well defined. No blurred lines. ( )
  geniemagik | Dec 5, 2013 |

H. P. Lovecraftprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Joshi, S. T.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am writing this under an appreciable mental strain, since by tonight I shall be no more.
This work should include the Penguin edition along with other collections containing the following stories:

Dagon -- Statement of Randolph Carter -- Facts concerning the late Arthur Jermyn and his family -- Celephais -- Nyarlathotep -- Picture in the house -- Outsider -- Herbert West--Reanimator -- Hound -- Rats in the walls -- Festival -- He -- Cool air -- Call of Cthulhu -- Colour out of space -- Whisperer in darkness -- Shadow over Innsmouth -- Haunter of the dark

Please keep separate the individual short story as well as collections with differing contents.
Contains the following novellas and short stories.

Dagon
The Whisperer In Darkness
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Dreams In The Witch House
The Haunter Of The Dark

Frequently imitated and widely influential, H. P. Lovecraft reinvented the horror genre for the twentieth century. Discarding witches and ghosts, he envisaged mankind as an outpost of dwindling sanity in a chaotic and malevolent universe. S. T. Joshi makes his selection from the early tales of nightmares and madness to the overpowering cosmic terror of 'The Call of Cthulhu'. This is the first paperback edition to include the definitive corrected texts of these classics of American fantasy fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:35 -0400)

Frequently imitated and widely influential, Howard Phillips Lovecraft reinvented the horror genre in the twentieth century, discarding ghosts and witches and envisioning instead mankind as a tiny outpost of dwindling sanity in a chaotic and malevolent universe. Love craft's preeminent interpreter S. T. Joshi presents a selection of the master's fiction, from the early tales of nightmares and madness such as "The Outsider" and "Rats in the Walls," through the grotesquely comic "Herbert West-Reanimator" and "The Hound," to the overpowering cosmic terror of "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "The Call of Cthulhu." The first paperback edition to include the definitive corrected texts, The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories reveals the development of Lovecraft's mesmerizing narrative style and establishes him as a canonical-and visionary-American writer.… (more)

165 wanted2 free

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141187069, 0143106481

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible