The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories:…

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories: (Penguin Classics Deluxe… (edition 2011)

by H. P. Lovecraft, S. T. Joshi (Editor), Travis Louie (Illustrator)

1,791353,909 (4)52
Member:FrancoisTremblay
Title:The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Authors:H. P. Lovecraft
Other authors:S. T. Joshi (Editor), Travis Louie (Illustrator)
Info:Penguin Classics (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Rating:***

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H. P. Lovecraft

Recently added byprivate library, abbeyhar, G_Riv, kathytapia, thaumat, lnmartin08, DashSpeedo

English (34)  Swedish (1)  All languages (35)
A selection of weird tales from the master of weird fiction. The epononymous work, Colour out of Space, The Whisperer in Darkness, and the Haunter of the Dark are the standouts. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

Ask any writer of horror, fantasy, or weird fiction who their influences were and H.P. Lovecraftâ??s name is almost sure to come up, especially if they├é┬â??re over the age of 50. For this reason alone, all true fans of these genres must experience H.P. Lovecraft├é┬â??s work for themselves. Think of it as ├é┬â??required reading.├é┬â?├é┬Ł Even if you don├é┬â??t read horror or weird tales, Lovecraft├é┬â??s Cthulhu mythos pops up regularly in fantasy literature, games, television, music, and art, so it├é┬â??s a good idea to get a little of it under your belt.

If you want to get a good quick culturally-relevant dose of Lovecraft, I recommend The Call of Cthulhu and Other Stories which is available in several editions. I listened to Naxos AudioBooksƒ?? version read by William Roberts, which I downloaded... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/horrible-monday-the-call-of-cthulhu-and... ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
S. T. told me, in one of our live YouTube videos, that he considers this book, his first of three volumes for Penguin Classics, to be his single best, most important selection of Lovecraft's tales. I've reviewed the book below, but I want here to emphasize that I return to this single edition again and again, to reread the excellent Introduction or to study the Notes at the end of the book, which not only explain obscure words and such, but give wee details concerning Lovecraft's writing of these wonderful tales. I especially love the cover that Penguin gave this book. ( )
1 vote wilum | Jan 13, 2014 |
Not everyone likes reading this as much as I do. Many like minded people have told me they enjoy Anne Rice or Poe more. These weird little tales by HP Lovecraft are by far my favorites. Darker than other horror stories, the good and evil in these stories are well defined. No blurred lines. ( )
  geniemagik | Dec 5, 2013 |
Lovecraft has had a tremendous influence on the modern fantasy, especially urban and comic fantasy. Terry Pratchett, Charles Stross, Jim Butcher, and several other major authors utilize Lovecraftian critters from the dungeon dimensions and the deepest depths as primary antagonists in their mythologies. I don't know if it's because I read the stories when I was too young, or if perhaps I encountered spoofs of his creatures before I read the real thing, but somehow, half-and-half fish/octopus men just aren't a terror trigger for me. Even in his more psychological works, I tend to find Lovecraft's writing a bit overblown, so much so that it tends to invoke laughter rather than horror. Granted, only a few of the antagonists of his stories are amphibious, but they almost always invoke an external influence. My classic horror stories of choice are the more internal/psychological ones-- The Yellow Wallpaper, The Turn of the Screw, etc.

For all that, I have a great appreciation for Lovecraft's ideas and influence. I believe Lovecraft is one of the first authors to consider abstruse topological mathematics as a dangerous art that could cause collisions with extra-dimensional horrors ("Dreams in the Witch-House"). He tends to invoke a theme that knowledge is dangerous ("Call of Cthulhu", "The Festival", "The Silver Key", etc). Lovecraft also has a tendency to write stories about ordinary people put into extraordinary situations, and while the people are changed by the horrors they encounter, they basically always lose against their inexorable opponents. This sense of depression, the belief that fate is written in stone, tends to add a very unique flavour to his stories. As someone who finds fish-faced fiends funny rather than frightening, I also have him to thank for the ability to read quite a few horror stories without any subsequent terrors or nightmares.

Overall, even if you don't find Dagon and the Deep Ones particularly dreadful or disquieting, Lovecraft is well worth reading for anyone interested in modern fantasy, horror, and fantastical comedy, if only to pick up on the Cthulhu jokes. ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |

H. P. Lovecraftprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Joshi, S. T.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am writing this under an appreciable mental strain, since by tonight I shall be no more.
This work should include the Penguin edition along with other collections containing the following stories:

Dagon -- Statement of Randolph Carter -- Facts concerning the late Arthur Jermyn and his family -- Celephais -- Nyarlathotep -- Picture in the house -- Outsider -- Herbert West--Reanimator -- Hound -- Rats in the walls -- Festival -- He -- Cool air -- Call of Cthulhu -- Colour out of space -- Whisperer in darkness -- Shadow over Innsmouth -- Haunter of the dark

Please keep separate the individual short story as well as collections with differing contents.
Contains the following novellas and short stories.

Dagon
The Whisperer In Darkness
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Dreams In The Witch House
The Haunter Of The Dark

Frequently imitated and widely influential, H. P. Lovecraft reinvented the horror genre for the twentieth century. Discarding witches and ghosts, he envisaged mankind as an outpost of dwindling sanity in a chaotic and malevolent universe. S. T. Joshi makes his selection from the early tales of nightmares and madness to the overpowering cosmic terror of 'The Call of Cthulhu'. This is the first paperback edition to include the definitive corrected texts of these classics of American fantasy fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:35 -0400)

Frequently imitated and widely influential, Howard Phillips Lovecraft reinvented the horror genre in the twentieth century, discarding ghosts and witches and envisioning instead mankind as a tiny outpost of dwindling sanity in a chaotic and malevolent universe. Love craft's preeminent interpreter S. T. Joshi presents a selection of the master's fiction, from the early tales of nightmares and madness such as "The Outsider" and "Rats in the Walls," through the grotesquely comic "Herbert West-Reanimator" and "The Hound," to the overpowering cosmic terror of "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "The Call of Cthulhu." The first paperback edition to include the definitive corrected texts, The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories reveals the development of Lovecraft's mesmerizing narrative style and establishes him as a canonical-and visionary-American writer.… (more)

165 wanted2 free

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141187069, 0143106481

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible