Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson

Undead and Unwed (2004)

by MaryJanice Davidson

Series: The Undead Series (1), Queen Betsy (1)

English (117)  Spanish (1)  All languages (118)
Goddddd, it's hard to know how to categorize some books. It's marked as Paranormal Romance, so I suppose I'll leave it at that. The story itself isn't heavy on the romance department as it's focal point, but instead is of a young woman coming to terms with her new undead status, vampires in her life trying to convince her she's the foretold queen savior, and embracing her love of designer shoes. Top this off with her best friend and new sidekick, a homosexual who has the hots for the vamp who has the hots for HER, and a strange and unsettling father-daughter-stepmother (stepmonster) relationship.

Comedy laden, this book was a delight to start but I soon feared it would fall short as the humor never let up. I was in the vein for some serious stuff - somewhere - and I do think that would have improved it a bit, but it was still funny as hell and completely readable. The main character is a valley girl type, completely obsessed with shoes and fashion, judgmental and constantly spurting out almost annoying, slang-filled one liners. Yes, sometimes this was tiresome, but other times I genuinely laughed. She's clearly self-centered and not the brightest candle in the room, yet her personality as an average is amiable and her spunk high.

I loved her best friend, Jessie, and the sidekick Mark (who seemed adorable in almost every way). The main vamp sounds incredibly sexy and I loved his domineering manner, even if I didn't blame Betsy for wanting to slug him half the time for his smugness. I especially grew errr, warm, with the scene of him in the alley and at the beginning with the finger. Grrrrroowwwwl. The ending with Betsy and him (Sinclair) was cleverly amusing and I didn't see it from a mile away. What a great turn-around!

Undead and Unwed stayed alive with active pacing. From chapter one the stakes are high and the plot is hell bent on being something strangely different. This is no average vampire tale by far; in fact, I've never read anything even remotely close. It's not something anyone would grow bored with, as action is always taking place and Betsy's never able to settle down for a simple breather. Her 'differences' as a vampire were a nice touch as well, especially loving the part where she got out of the car and "yawned" in the sun, not thinking about the typical vampire rules.

There are a few very sexual scenes, although that does not dominate the book by far. The romance impact is not high, more like the bickering fun lust-filled hero and heroine who you want to get together, but are not sure they really will (at least in this book, anyway). I'll leave what happens between them - if anything - a surprise. You can never say I ruin a book with my reviews *evil grin* On the violence side, there's some head crashing here and there but nothing strenuous.

Overall the book was laugh-out-loud hilarious, a different vein of vampire novels, with a main character you can't help but like (even if at times she's temporarily annoying enough to where you almost put down the book), and a hero you couldn't help but almost love. *wiggles brows* I'll definitely read more of this series, especially with an ending like that. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this one. It was a cute, fun, lite read. I will definitely continue with the series. Betsy just cracks me up. She is such a smart a**. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Funny, charming, wicked and light. A great change of pace. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Pure silliness with an extra helping of snark on the side. Once I grew accustomed to the author's writing style, this cute little urban fantasy turned into a fun read. Betsy is having a bad day. She's been laid off from her secretarial job, is killed in an accident, and now she's trying to figure out why she's not dead. Suspending belief wasn't an issue. I simply couldn't take anything in this book seriously. My brain enjoyed the break though and I snickered all the way through the last page. I could've done without the weird sex, hence the three stars instead of four, but that's just my personal preference. It was just a little too crass and a little too close to the erotica genre for my taste.

What I liked: I got a big kick out of Betsy's sass. Even when being kidnapped, she became the tormentor, driving the villains to the point of hysteria with her sarcasm. I loved that she never cowered or backed down from a fight. Sinclair was also a fun character and added a bit of pizzazz to the story. This is a great start and the series has lots of potential. I will continue with book 2. This should be read on a rainy day when you need a quick laugh. Definitely adult material. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
The main character, Betsy, is a newly created vampire who doesn't get hung up on all of the old vampire traditions. She is fun, irreverant and totally entertaining. I will be reading more in the Queen Betsy series. ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 6, 2016 |

MaryJanice Davidsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaber, PamelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long,ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spier, NanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu, NancyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, StefanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Anthony Alongi, my editor, my partner, my bearded nemesis, and my friend. All praise to my darling husband.
The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry.
Hampton & Son, realizing about a year too late that they had to slash costs, decided administrative layoffs were the way to go as opposed to, say, cutting the six figure salaries of senior management. The clerks and secretaries had been deemed expendable. But vengeance would be ours. Without us, those twits couldn't even send a fax, much less run the company. (chapter 1)
I love my cat. She's a pain in the ass, but she's dependable, and has never once told me to change my shirt because I look like a crack whore in periwinkle blue. Heck, the whole reason I was in this fix was, in part, because of Giselle, but I hadn't gotten rid of her, or even snacked on her. I was definitely a cat person.

Which is why it was unbelievably annoying that dogs now found me irresistible. Before I woke up in the funeral home, I had ignored dogs, and they had ignored me, and we'd gone about our separate business. No longer. (chapter 11)
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the mass-market paperback edition):

If you purchased this book without a cover, you should be aware that this book is stolen property. It was reported as 'unsold and destroyed' to the publisher, and neither the author nor the publisher has received any payment for this 'stripped book.'

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

This book, or parts thereof, may not be reproduced in any form without permission. The scanning, uploading, and distribution of this book via the Internet or via any other means without the permission of the publisher is illegal and punishable by law. Please purchase only authorized electronic editions, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. Your support of the author's rights is appreciated. For information, address The Berkley Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc., 375 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042519485X, Mass Market Paperback)

First Betsy Taylor loses her job, then she's killed in a car accident.  But what really bites is that she can't seem to stay dead.  And now her new friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:06 -0400)

After being killed in a car accident, fashion savvy Betsy Taylor becomes one of the undead and, with the help of her newfound friends, the lure of designer shoes, and a sexy vampire, must destroy a dark enemy and fulfill her destiny as the prophesied vampire queen.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,525,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible