Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson

Undead and Unwed (2004)

by MaryJanice Davidson

Series: Queen Betsy (1)

English (109)  Spanish (1)  All languages (110)
Vampire chick-lit at its very, very best. Outrageous story, eccentric characters, a cuddly kooky heroine, and a constant stream of sparkling verbal and visual humour.

Betsy Taylor is mugged by a bunch of hairy critters outside a Mongolian restaurant and sustains some scratches. Two months and one job later, she’s hit by a garbage truck and hurled against a tree. Crushed skull — R.I.P. Betsy. Sometime later she wakes up inside a casket, mysteriously undead. And undead she remains even though she tries to finish off what the garbage truck started by jumping off buildings and bridges, impaling herself on knives, drinking bleach and electrocuting herself.

The pompous boss of the local vampire clan wants to welcome her into his fold, but Betsy tells him to get lost, and in her anger demonstrates some surprising talents such as immunity to crosses, holy water, and sunshine. Oh, and the strength to hurl macho vampires across mausoleum floors.

A cute lesbian vampire reveals that Betsy seems to be fulfilling an ancient prophesy about an ass-kicking vampire queen who will appear and rule the world of the undead with her drop-dead handsome consort.

The publisher’s blurb and trade reviews go on to summarise far more of the story, but I enjoyed this book so much that I’ll leave the rest for readers with tastes similar to mine.

Yet again, I find myself discovering a writer who’s already earned the NYT Bestselling Author cachet. Shame on me, but better late than never. There are more volumes in the Undead series, of which this is the first, and apparently Ms Davidson does other genres as well.

Lots of great reading to look forward to. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
silly and didnt require much attention ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
I gave this 2 stars when I read it, but it's 3.4 in the audio book format. The reader, Nancy Wu, did a wonderful job of doing Betsy's voice. The valley girl turned vampire really came through as the funny character she is. Where the humor fell flat for me before, now it had me chuckling out loud.

It's a cute story, a true candy read. I will listen to the next book, but I won't try to read any more. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
MJ is just so bloody hilarious. If you ever need a pick me up, pick her books. Unless you are a stone robot her stuff shouldn't fail to give you a lot of lols or at the very least some wide grinning :D
This review covers most of her books in my opinion. I would however say that when it come to the romance- or should I say physical side of things she does tend to lay it out heavy. I completely skip her more um..shall we say erotic stuff. Hilarious as she is, I do have a line!
If you like Betsy series definitely check out the Alaskan Royals trilogy, & the Fred trilogy. ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
When the novel begins, Elizabeth "Betsy" Taylor is already (un)dead. The day before her death unfolds in which she is late for work, fixes the copy machine for her incompetent coworkers, and chases after her cat who is stuck in snow on the other side of the road. A truck hits her while she crosses the street and her body slams into a tree, killing her. She wakes up in a funeral parlor dressed in a tacky, pink power suit and her stepmother's last year, knock-off designer shoes. It's her mission to recover her designer shoes from her stepmother, which she does within the first forty pages, and then the rest of the novel is focused on other vampires mixing her up in their politics.

Betsy angered me. I found her to be unlikeable, both as a narrator and a main character. She's a completely passive character. She’s incredibly whiney. She mentions her height—we get it; you’re tall—too often (see: height breakdown). Her judgment is lacking. When she wakes up from her death, her first instinct is to attempt to kill herself repeatedly by jumping off a building, drowning herself in the Mississippi River, electrocuting herself by grabbing a power line, drinking a bottle of bleach, stabbing herself in the heart with a butcher’s knife, and getting the tar beat out of her by muggers. None of them work but she tries over and over again as if she thinks, “Maybe this time I’ll die!” Betsy is trying to kill herself when she intervenes in a mugging. She wants the men to beat her to death and, you know, not rape and murder the woman and her daughter. The daughter tells Betsy she’s a vampire because she sees Betsy's fangs hanging out. Up until that point, Betsy thought she was a zombie despite having an unquenchable thirst. She’s so stupid.

Read more: http://theparanormalreview.blogspot.com/2014/07/undead-and-unwed-by-maryjanice-d... ( )
  Katie.Loughlin | Jul 21, 2014 |

MaryJanice Davidsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jaber, PamelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long,ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spier, NanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu, NancyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, StefanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Anthony Alongi, my editor, my partner, my bearded nemesis, and my friend. All praise to my darling husband.
The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042519485X, Mass Market Paperback)

First Betsy Taylor loses her job, then she's killed in a car accident.  But what really bites is that she can't seem to stay dead.  And now her new friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:30 -0400)

After being killed in a car accident, fashion savvy Betsy Taylor becomes one of the undead and, with the help of her newfound friends, the lure of designer shoes, and a sexy vampire, must destroy a dark enemy and fulfill her destiny as the prophesied vampire queen.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,214,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible