Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson

Undead and Unwed (original 2004; edition 2007)

by Mary Janice Davidson

Member:floating_lush
Title:Undead and Unwed
Authors:Mary Janice Davidson
Info:Piatkus (2007), Edition: New Ed, Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read 2012, fiction

Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (2004)

English (109)  Spanish (1)  All languages (110)
silly and didnt require much attention ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
I gave this 2 stars when I read it, but it's 3.4 in the audio book format. The reader, Nancy Wu, did a wonderful job of doing Betsy's voice. The valley girl turned vampire really came through as the funny character she is. Where the humor fell flat for me before, now it had me chuckling out loud.

It's a cute story, a true candy read. I will listen to the next book, but I won't try to read any more. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
MJ is just so bloody hilarious. If you ever need a pick me up, pick her books. Unless you are a stone robot her stuff shouldn't fail to give you a lot of lols or at the very least some wide grinning :D
This review covers most of her books in my opinion. I would however say that when it come to the romance- or should I say physical side of things she does tend to lay it out heavy. I completely skip her more um..shall we say erotic stuff. Hilarious as she is, I do have a line!
If you like Betsy series definitely check out the Alaskan Royals trilogy, & the Fred trilogy. ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
When the novel begins, Elizabeth "Betsy" Taylor is already (un)dead. The day before her death unfolds in which she is late for work, fixes the copy machine for her incompetent coworkers, and chases after her cat who is stuck in snow on the other side of the road. A truck hits her while she crosses the street and her body slams into a tree, killing her. She wakes up in a funeral parlor dressed in a tacky, pink power suit and her stepmother's last year, knock-off designer shoes. It's her mission to recover her designer shoes from her stepmother, which she does within the first forty pages, and then the rest of the novel is focused on other vampires mixing her up in their politics.

Betsy angered me. I found her to be unlikeable, both as a narrator and a main character. She's a completely passive character. She’s incredibly whiney. She mentions her height—we get it; you’re tall—too often (see: height breakdown). Her judgment is lacking. When she wakes up from her death, her first instinct is to attempt to kill herself repeatedly by jumping off a building, drowning herself in the Mississippi River, electrocuting herself by grabbing a power line, drinking a bottle of bleach, stabbing herself in the heart with a butcher’s knife, and getting the tar beat out of her by muggers. None of them work but she tries over and over again as if she thinks, “Maybe this time I’ll die!” Betsy is trying to kill herself when she intervenes in a mugging. She wants the men to beat her to death and, you know, not rape and murder the woman and her daughter. The daughter tells Betsy she’s a vampire because she sees Betsy's fangs hanging out. Up until that point, Betsy thought she was a zombie despite having an unquenchable thirst. She’s so stupid.

Read more: http://theparanormalreview.blogspot.com/2014/07/undead-and-unwed-by-maryjanice-d... ( )
  Katie.Loughlin | Jul 21, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Betsy Taylor is having a rough week. First she gets fired, then she gets hit by a car, and then she wakes up in a coffin lined with plush pink satin (yuck!) wearing an unfashionable dress, cheap shoes, and the wrong color make-up. How embarrassing! After piecing together the clues and visiting a minister, Betsy realizes that she??s a very unusual vampire ƒ?? sheƒ??s not affected by crosses, holy water, or sunlight. She does, however, need to drink blood.

Betsy is determined to make the most of her death by getting back to her normal life, but she soon discovers that the other vampires in town have expectations of her. Though she tries to stay clear of them, they will not let her rest in peace, and she ends up in the middle of a vampire clan war.

I thought that Undead and Unwed was totally not my kind of book. I donƒ??t like sarcastic female protagonists and I donƒ??t like vampires. I only picked up Undead and Unwed because it was cheap at Audible during one of their big sales and somebody needed to review it for the SFF review site I'm involved in. I was completely surprised, therefore, at how well it entertained me.

MaryJanice Davidson managed to make Betsyƒ??s shallowness and over-concern about fashion amusing rather than annoying (ƒ??Being dead was no excuse to get sloppyƒ?) and, though Betsy can be rather sarcastic, itƒ??s mostly directed at the villains and itƒ??s not the defining feature of her personality. The villainous vampire and his minions are completely over-the-top ƒ??the men in black tuxedoes, and the women in red lipstick and nail polish. Their leader sits on a gold-plated throne. This works so well here because the novel is aware of its campiness and Betsy is constantly commentating on their bad sense of drama and fashion. She has no respect for the vampire scene and its clich??s and wants no part of their ƒ??little undead covens.ƒ? I found her to be genuinely funny.

Betsy has a couple of likeable friends who are eager to be her new sidekicks. Thereƒ??s Jessica, the rich black heiress, and Mark, the gay doctor who is less disgusted with Betsy being a blood-sucking vampire than that she used to donate money to PETA. There are not many characters, but two are homosexual (one male and one female) and I canƒ??t help but think that this is an easy way for the author to make some characters sexually off-limits. Maybe Iƒ??m wrong, and it doesnƒ??t really matter anyway since Undead and Unwed isnƒ??t asking us to take it seriously. Speaking of sex: itƒ??s rather steamy.

I listened to Recorded Booksƒ?? audio version of Undead and Unwed, narrated by Nancy Wu. I didnƒ??t like her at first because her reading started off choppy and I could hear her breathing after every sentence, but after the first chapter, she really did a great job. She doesnƒ??t have the best male voices, but her performance for Betsy was brilliant, especially each time Betsyƒ??s fangs started erupting.

Undead and Unwed is a cute and entertaining paranormal romance and I will pick up the next installment when I see it on sale at Audible. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

MaryJanice Davidsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jaber, PamelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long,ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spier, NanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu, NancyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, StefanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Anthony Alongi, my editor, my partner, my bearded nemesis, and my friend. All praise to my darling husband.
The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042519485X, Mass Market Paperback)

First Betsy Taylor loses her job, then she's killed in a car accident.  But what really bites is that she can't seem to stay dead.  And now her new friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:30 -0400)

After being killed in a car accident, fashion savvy Betsy Taylor becomes one of the undead and, with the help of her newfound friends, the lure of designer shoes, and a sexy vampire, must destroy a dark enemy and fulfill her destiny as the prophesied vampire queen.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,796,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible