Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson

Undead and Unwed (original 2004; edition 2007)

by Mary Janice Davidson

2,574None2,323 (3.73)78
Member:floating_lush
Title:Undead and Unwed
Authors:Mary Janice Davidson
Info:Piatkus (2007), Edition: New Ed, Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read 2012, fiction

Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (2004)

audiobook (13) betsy (19) chick lit (122) comedy (25) contemporary (13) ebook (16) fantasy (95) fiction (169) funny (17) horror (20) humor (146) maryjanice davidson (20) Minnesota (18) mystery (17) own (19) paperback (14) paranormal (110) paranormal romance (80) Queen Betsy (75) Queen Betsy series (17) read (57) romance (178) series (58) supernatural (42) to-read (58) undead (16) Undead Series (15) unread (12) urban fantasy (58) vampires (394)

English (106)  Spanish (1)  All languages (107)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Betsy Taylor is having a rough week. First she gets fired, then she gets hit by a car, and then she wakes up in a coffin lined with plush pink satin (yuck!) wearing an unfashionable dress, cheap shoes, and the wrong color make-up. How embarrassing! After piecing together the clues and visiting a minister, Betsy realizes that she??s a very unusual vampire ƒ?? sheƒ??s not affected by crosses, holy water, or sunlight. She does, however, need to drink blood.

Betsy is determined to make the most of her death by getting back to her normal life, but she soon discovers that the other vampires in town have expectations of her. Though she tries to stay clear of them, they will not let her rest in peace, and she ends up in the middle of a vampire clan war.

I thought that Undead and Unwed was totally not my kind of book. I donƒ??t like sarcastic female protagonists and I donƒ??t like vampires. I only picked up Undead and Unwed because it was cheap at Audible during one of their big sales and somebody needed to review it for the SFF review site I'm involved in. I was completely surprised, therefore, at how well it entertained me.

MaryJanice Davidson managed to make Betsyƒ??s shallowness and over-concern about fashion amusing rather than annoying (ƒ??Being dead was no excuse to get sloppyƒ?) and, though Betsy can be rather sarcastic, itƒ??s mostly directed at the villains and itƒ??s not the defining feature of her personality. The villainous vampire and his minions are completely over-the-top ƒ??the men in black tuxedoes, and the women in red lipstick and nail polish. Their leader sits on a gold-plated throne. This works so well here because the novel is aware of its campiness and Betsy is constantly commentating on their bad sense of drama and fashion. She has no respect for the vampire scene and its clich??s and wants no part of their ƒ??little undead covens.ƒ? I found her to be genuinely funny.

Betsy has a couple of likeable friends who are eager to be her new sidekicks. Thereƒ??s Jessica, the rich black heiress, and Mark, the gay doctor who is less disgusted with Betsy being a blood-sucking vampire than that she used to donate money to PETA. There are not many characters, but two are homosexual (one male and one female) and I canƒ??t help but think that this is an easy way for the author to make some characters sexually off-limits. Maybe Iƒ??m wrong, and it doesnƒ??t really matter anyway since Undead and Unwed isnƒ??t asking us to take it seriously. Speaking of sex: itƒ??s rather steamy.

I listened to Recorded Booksƒ?? audio version of Undead and Unwed, narrated by Nancy Wu. I didnƒ??t like her at first because her reading started off choppy and I could hear her breathing after every sentence, but after the first chapter, she really did a great job. She doesnƒ??t have the best male voices, but her performance for Betsy was brilliant, especially each time Betsyƒ??s fangs started erupting.

Undead and Unwed is a cute and entertaining paranormal romance and I will pick up the next installment when I see it on sale at Audible. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Betsy.. new dead, image & shoe obsessed, sarcastic, (vampire) drama queen. who is placed as the hero of the story, is completely clueless and bit of an idiot.. and its all the funnier for it. good quick fix little read. ( )
  max-rush | Mar 30, 2014 |
This series was ok, it will probably something i turn to if i have nothing else to read. ( )
  Talaskat | Oct 8, 2013 |
Light and easy to listen to. ( )
  smorancie | Aug 30, 2013 |
Well I seem to be on binge of reading series and vampires. I bought this book because the cover interested me along with the title.

Undead and Unwed was a funny book. I found myself laughing or cracking a smile while reading. Elizabeth Taylor or Betsy as she likes to be called gets hit by a car saving her cat one night and wakes up in the funeral home wondering what happened.

Once she finally figures out what happened she sees her father and stepmom then visits her mother. Her best friend is thrilled to see her up and walking even if she is a vampire. The abilities that she has make her a very unique vampire and the possible Queen.

This book would probably still be sitting on my TBR pile if not for the SOS Bingo game. I look forward to reading the next books in this series. ( )
  crazy4reading | Jul 28, 2013 |

MaryJanice Davidsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jaber, PamelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long,ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spier, NanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu, NancyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeller, StefanieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Anthony Alongi, my editor, my partner, my bearded nemesis, and my friend. All praise to my darling husband.
The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042519485X, Mass Market Paperback)

First Betsy Taylor loses her job, then she's killed in a car accident.  But what really bites is that she can't seem to stay dead.  And now her new friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:30 -0400)

After being killed in a car accident, fashion savvy Betsy Taylor becomes one of the undead and, with the help of her newfound friends, the lure of designer shoes, and a sexy vampire, must destroy a dark enemy and fulfill her destiny as the prophesied vampire queen.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible