19 Girls and Me by Darcy Pattison

19 Girls and Me (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Darcy Pattison, Steven Salerno (Illustrator)

438267,810 (4)None
Member:ccbell
Title:19 Girls and Me
Authors:Darcy Pattison
Other authors:Steven Salerno (Illustrator)
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:1st-3rd grd, easy

19 Girls and Me by Darcy Pattison (2006)

John Hercules Po's first day of school is not what he expected. It turns out he is the only boy out of twenty students in his class. John's brother is convinced that that many girls will turn him into a sissy. John's older brother is not the only one to learn a lesson from this story.

I loved this book. It had a great message. Although John was the only boy in his class it did not matter. Friends come in all types. Friendship is about enjoying each other's company and having fun. I think it was great that John got to teach his older brother a lesson and changed his perspective in the end. ( )
  ashleyschifano | Sep 2, 2014 |
“19 Girls and Me” was a fantastic book about genders. It conveyed the main message of even if you are a boy in a girls world don’t try and change them you can still have fun and be friends. One of mu favorite parts about this book were the illustrations. For whenever they would create a new thing or place to go for recess it was captured, as they would have imagined in in photos. I also like how all the girls were in red and the boy was in blue. It allowed him to stand out in the crowd and really look like he wasn’t one of them but it also showed that he was allowing himself to be part of the class because he is always surrounded by red. Another thing I liked a lot about this book was the writing. For throughout the book he talks about them being “19 tomboys” but on the last page he refers to them as “ 19 friends”. ( )
  KiTiraShorter | Apr 16, 2014 |
At school in his kindergarten class John Hercules is surrounded by girls, 19 to be exact. Even though his older brother says that all of the girls will make him a sissy. John every day at recess goes on a different adventure with the girls in his class. His brother continues to tease him until one day his brother finally decides to join the adventure and no longer teases John. This book is a great example of friendship and that it doesn't matter if you are a boy or a girl you can still be friends. ( )
  ccbell | Nov 17, 2012 |
I was pleasantly surprised by how good this book is. The cover didn't grab me at all and I was expecting a so-so book, but apparently my niece knows the good ones when she sees them. She took this right off the shelf and said, "I want this one."

The main message of this book is friendship. It teaches that no matter your gender, you can all play great games, have fun, and be friends. And it does this in a creative, fun way by delving into the world of children and imagining all sorts of activities they do and places they go. It is too easy to turn this sort of message into a preachy sermon, but Pattison stays away from that and keeps it fun. And oh my goodness are the words catchy! After reading it once, the catch phrase, "nineteen girls and one lone boy" stayed in my head for hours. It's very rhythmical. Children will love having this read to them.

The illustrations were also a lot better than I expected from the cover. Whenever the characters play a pretend game and "go somewhere," such as The Great Wall of China or the Amazon river, the pictures really come to life. There's a lot of detail and bright colors that kids will love. During one reading, my niece took the time to count all the birds and alligators (or was it crocodiles?) in the Amazon picture, so this story can be used for reading, geography, and counting too!

In short, I recommend this one. Children will love it, adults will love it, and it's a story that you can use for teaching a lot of different things. Definitely worth the money! ( )
  sedelia | May 29, 2012 |
This book is about John Hercules, one boy assigned to a class with 19 girls. His brother teases him and tells him that if he plays with the girls he will become a sissy. Each day, at lunch, he plays different games with the girls. His brother feels that they are making him soft. Eventually, John Hercules realizes that their gender is not important. He would rather him their friendship. ( )
  lakertraw | Feb 10, 2012 |
The kindergarten class in 9B was odd.

John Hercules Po’s kindergarten class is made up of 19 girls . . . and him. His older brother warns him not to let all those girls turn him into a sissy, but as John Hercules Po discovers, he needn’t worry. As he and the girls let their imaginations run wild during recess, they end up digging all the way to The Great Wall of China, floating on the Amazon river, singing to the Man on the Moon, and racing a car 600 miles per hour.

So . . . 19 girls and 1 lone boy? Nope, even better—20 good friends.

By the acclaimed author of The Journey of Oliver K.Woodman and the illustrator of Bedtime! comes this delightful story that parents will adore just as much as their children.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:19 -0400)

John Hercules is worried about being the only boy in his kindergarten class, but after the first week he stops worrying.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,376,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible