Imaginary Fred by Eoin Colfer

Imaginary Fred (2015)

by Eoin Colfer

Other authors: Oliver Jeffers (Illustrator)

What happens to imaginary friends when kids don’t need them anymore? Like Drew Daywalt, Eoin Colfer looks at a conundrum from an “out of the box” point of view, i.e., in this case, from the point of view of an imaginary friend named Fred.

Fred wishes he would be needed forever, but he fears that will never be the case. How does this make a creation like Fred feel, and how will he end up?

Colfer comes up with an ingenious solution, sure to please readers.

Colfer, who was appointed Children’s Laureate in Ireland, writes about himself for the back cover:

“Eoin has two imaginary friends who are hilarious because they insist they are his actual sons and need stuff like food and clothing.”

Black ink drawings by talented Oliver Jeffers illustrate the text, with smudges of color added to the imaginary friends, so you can pick out who is considered “real” and who is relegated to the realm of the imaginary.

Evaluation: I love stories like this, because they not only stimulate the imagination, but encourage children to think about perspectives other than their own. ( )
  nbmars | Sep 17, 2016 |
A creative twist on the imaginary friend topic (see also: Beekle by Dan Santat). Imaginary Fred is pleased to have found a friend in Sam, but worries that he will begin to fade once Sam finds a "real" friend. When Sam does, though, it turns out that she has an imaginary friend too, and the four make a friend quartet. ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 26, 2016 |
Imaginary Fred is an imaginary friend who comes to lonely children who make wishes for a friend. He always loses his friends, though, when a real one comes along... until he meets Sam. Through Sam, he learns more about friendship (real and imaginary), and makes more friends, too. ( )
  TammyBB | Jul 7, 2016 |
Too bizarre for me. ?Too long and complex for preschoolers. ?áI would have liked it better as an early chapter book, for those reading the Ivy and Bean books. ?áEspecially because then I would not have to look at those ridiculous noses Jeffers drew on the boys. ?áBut I do have to give it an extra 1/2 star because my 19 yo son, a fan of Artemis Fowl by Colfer, liked it. ?áI can see why some readers would love it, so I do recommend you judge for yourself." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Aww!! This i a wonderful book about friendship. I loved this book so much! I think this has been one of my favorites that I have read so far! I love how simplistic and interesting the art is. The writing is whimsical and fun. The message of this story is important for all people!
  KelseySchroeder | May 8, 2016 |

Eoin Colferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeffers, OliverIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my very own Dramatic Duo: Finn & Seán --E.C.
To Egbert, my imaginary friend. And to Michael, my real one. --O.J.
Headaches are a pain.

A quirky, funny, and utterly irresistible story from Eoin Colfer and Oliver Jeffers, two of the finest children's book creators on the planet.

Did you know that sometimes, with a little electricity, or luck, or even magic, an imaginary friend might appear when you need one? An imaginary friend like Fred.

Fred floated like a feather in the wind until Sam, a lonely little boy, wished for him and, together, they found a friendship like no other.

The perfect chemistry between Eoin Colfer's text and Oliver Jeffers's artwork makes for a dazzlingly original picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 10 Aug 2015 18:44:19 -0400)

"Did you know that if the conditions are just right, and if you add a little electricity, or magic, or luck, that an imaginary friend might appear just when you need one? An imaginary friend like Fred. Fred is the best imaginary friend you could ever hope for, but no matter how hard he tries, the same thing always happens: his friend finds a friend in the real world, and Fred fades away, bit by bit, waiting to be wished for again... Then one day, a boy named Sam wishes for a friend, and Fred appears! For a while everything is perfect. But what about the day when Sam finds a real friend? Could it be that this time, something magical might happen...?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,425,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible