Limerence II by Claire C. Riley

Limerence II

by Claire C. Riley

431,664,912 (3.25)None

I would put this book more in the horror category than the first. Mia has fully embraced being a vampire. She doesn't have those pesky human morals holding her back now. At the end of book one, I was a little heartbroken and totally rooting for Mia and wanting her to just be all big and bad.

This book begins with her just kind of lost. A vampire named Evan is trying to bring her around slowly. He's trying to help her out while still serving the Queen. It's a precarious situation. Mia isn't completely cruel, but she's just kind of there.I said goodbye to the Mia I had once been, left her soul in Delamere forest, cold and forever wandering, never to be seen again, and after her passing came the new me. She was stronger and colder, harder and less emotional than the old me.
Basically she becomes a drone just going through the motions. The only spark in her life for the most part is when she is with Evan. And it's a dangerous spark. The feelings between Mia and Evan change everything.I'm not supposed to feel love if I'm a vampire. Surely I'm a soulless, godless creature that cannot feel such emotions? Yet here they are, killing me not softly, but painfully—as if ripping my dead, black heart out from my body.
There are several surprises along the way, some deaths, returns, transformations and reversals. Some of it made me mad. I can't wait to read the next book while willing things to go the way that I want. ;) And I just have to mention the human soda fountains—creepy times two.

If you're looking for a horror read with hints of love, this is probably the book for you.

4-4.5 stars

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2015/02/limerence-ii-by-claire-c... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

4-4.5 stars

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Mia is now a vampire and all the concerns she had as a human seem so very distant, so vanishingly small compared to what she is now. Of course that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have passions

She wants out, she wants freedom, she wants to live as a vampire free from the Queen’s dictates.

But she also wants Bastion - the sexy vampire who desperately wants her as well. But they are forbidden from being together, no matter how it hurts. They should stay away, but they can’t bring themselves to do so - even as their love threatens Mia’s fragile control. A snapped control that could not just threaten them - but the whole vampire society.

The first book in his series was wonderfully refreshing. It took that very common paranormal romance trope of deeply obsessive love and showed us the much darker side of it. That it isn’t romantic or sexy or passionate - it’s scary, it’s terrifying and, ultimately, it’s extremely destructive. It was an excellent analysis.

This book? Well, there’s something similar, but it isn’t really conveyed nearly as well. Mia is now a new vampire and is having to adapt to the new society she finds herself in… but there isn’t a lot there. Sure there are vampires and drinking blood (and this book does an excellent job of conveying a truly callous, humanity-less depiction of vampire. Vampires that are utterly uncaring about who they kill and feeding their appetite) but other than the fact they serve their queen. Which is fine, it doesn’t have to be extremely complicated or byzantine or anything else

But we get this for half the book. For half the book Mia is training (without actually expanding her vampire powers), fighting her inner vampire (without especially explaining what that was, though we get more of that in the second part) but, on the whole, it mainly focuses on her relationship with .

This does continue the theme of the first book. Mia and Bastion both obsess over each other even though they both know their relationship is destructive. Bastion treats her terribly, continually pushing her away then trying to pull her back in, throwing so many mixed signals that it’s dizzying. Again, this is something we see in other romances, but this book shows the dark side of it, the damage and pain - not all the romantic sadness and suffering that we see repeated over and over again. Their relationship is a trainwreck that we see spiralling toward inevitable destruction.

But it’s a trainwreck that takes a huge amount of pages of constantly melodramatic description to get to that destination. It’s not a fun read, it’s so long and lacking in so much else beyond these endless maudlin monologues.I can appreciate what it is depicting, I appreciate the new take on these tropes, I really like that we’re seeing this repeated depiction through a darker - more realistic lens. But I just didn’t enjoy reading it.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | May 20, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 150278078X, Paperback)

When you see life through the eyes of a vampire, you see the true colors of the world. It’s been almost a year since Mia’s life was forever altered, and each day is a battle as she fights the dark vampire trapped within her. She is strong, and powerful, and she wants control. She will do anything to be free. Even if it means destroying them both. Evan, a strong Bastion vampire is fighting a darkness of his own. And though their Queen won’t allow it, Mia’s connection with him is intense & addictive. They find it impossible to stay apart. But as their emotions grow stronger, Mia fears Evan’s secrets will destroy the very strength she needs to keep her inner vampire under control. Is she strong enough to survive a love which is not allowed, while fighting the monster within? The Queen is sick and the world Mia has only just come to know is changing. In the end, there can only be one survivor.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 01 Aug 2015 18:53:57 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,767,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible