The Offering by Desiree Bombenon

The Offering

by Desiree Bombenon

411,664,912 (3)None

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I liked the premise of the book and the story, but it felt like I had been dumped into the middle of a series and was having to catch up on characters and past storylines. It was a decent book overall, but the plot had quite a few holes in it. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Mar 27, 2016 |

Jake and Amanda are the perfect couple, rich, intelligent, business savvy, and Amanda has a sixth sense that has helped them in the past solve crimes. Amanda and Jake are strong, brave and strongly in love, they share everything.

They are in Hawaii relaxing when their neighbor in Canada Bernie Wright calls with a request for Amanda and Jake's help. Bernie is a Mountie in Canada and knows of Amanda’s gift; his daughter Taylor, ex-wife Gail, and his ex Mountie partner & Gail’s new love interest, Keith have disappeared after leaving the Hawaii Airport. Bernie also found that Taylor had an online relationship with a strange character going by the name Carlos who lived in Hawaii. After reading the emails, Bernie finds that Carlos seemed to have some strange beliefs. Amanda's six sense start kicking in. Detective Tao on the Big Island does not believe in Amanda’s gift and doesn’t want Amanda and Jake's help or interference, but reluctantly works with them.

Taylor does not realize that she's involved with a very warped person. Carlos has suffered horrible mental and physical abuse at the hands of his father. He almost died at one point. He is not normal in any way because of his horrific abuse. His mentor Liag is orchestrating Carlos's sacrifice of Taylor to the Voodoo Gods and he is using Carlos for his own purposes; he is a master manipulator of Carlos. Taylor is being held in a dark dank cell and she knows she is in very bad trouble. The plan Taylor and Carlos concocted to bring her mother and father back together has gone very wrong, and she realizes Carlos is involved with their kidnapping and imprisonment. Her mother and Keith are not in the cell with her, she doesn’t know where they are held or if they are still alive. Carlos and Liag are planning a religious Voodoo ceremony in which Taylor is a prominent participant. Amanda and Jake must solve this case before it is too late for Taylor. Ms. Bombenon created a story with many surprising twist and turns. I couldn’t wait to reach the end of the book.

Ms. Bombenon infused this book with fear. It was a scary book to read, as people such as Carlos actually exist. The plots are paced well and the book is full of action and adventure. Her presentation of Taylor as an immature teenage who sees no harm in giving a strange intimate details of her life on the internet was spot on. And the twists in the story were very unexpected.

The ending was a complete surprise, what an ending! I would have never guessed. Well-done Ms. Bombenon. I am sure Ms. Bombenon has a bright future as an author.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes a great crime mystery story that will keep you interested from beginning to end. I can’t wait to start next book, The Congregation.

I received this book from the publisher and Netgalley in return for an honest opinion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,310,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible