Katy by Jacqueline Wilson

Katy (2015)

by Jacqueline Wilson

This is Jacqueline Wilson fix-it fic, which she wrote after reading What Katy Did to her daughter. It is a fun page turning story of the human spirit surviving even after a horrible accident, and it's also an interesting study of both how times have changed and what distinguishes a Jacqueline Wilson book by the directions it's changed from the original. So we get not just one Boy subplot, but two, Izzie is no longer their aunt but their step mother, and Elsie doesn't get left out as much for being the middle one, but more because she's the half-sister. And the main changes - Katy isn't told 'this is a lesson from God to make you more patient', and we see far more of her frustrations and embarrassment (and Izzie's too), Izzie doesn't die, and Katy doesn't get better. But she does get a bright red wheelchair and learn she can still be awesome even if she can't walk. Awesome in this case being 'playing basketball and dancing with cute boys' rather than 'taking on the household management' which is definitely an updated message... ( )
  atreic | Sep 22, 2017 |
I only vaguely remember What Katy Did (and promptly went and reserved it right after reading this) I seem to recall that as I got older it got more annoying, but we'll see how I get on with it as an adult. This rang fairly true-to-life for a lot of it, Katy Carr is the eldest of 6, her mother died when she was young and her father remarried, bringing a daughter with her. Her father and mother had another three children. Katy is accident prone and still working out issues from losing her father and resenting the intrusions into her life, all typical teenage stuff, until an accident makes her have to deal with some serious life-changing stuff.

An interesting reworking of what I remember, now to compare and contrast. There were some things that were a bit thoughtless but they rang fairly true to what a teen girl probably believes. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 18, 2016 |

Was inspired by

Katy Carr is a lively, daredevil oldest sister in a big family. She loves messing around outdoors, climbing on the garage roof, or up a tree, cycling, skateboarding, swinging. But her life changes in dramatic and unexpected ways after a serious accident.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,399,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible