Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor

Into the Dim

by Janet B. Taylor

I received this ARC from Miss Print's (Emma) ARC Adoption over here! Thank you Emma!

I think I had the same problem I had with Reawakened as I had with Into the Dim. This is probably meant for younger YA, and the protagonist annoyed me to pieces.

Into the Dim is my second time traveler book of 2016, third if you count the fact that I've read three time traveling books that released in 2016. Into the Dim is akin to Passenger in the fact that there's familial disputes, MC realization that she's a time-traveler, mother-saving, and star-crossed insta-love.

It starts off with Hope Walton, whose mother has just died (or well, disappeared) when she was supposed to be giving a lecture at a university, and all of a sudden, an earthquake appeared. Hope is to spend her summer with her mother's side of the family, because she is adopted and her father's side (sans her father), hates that fact. Her mother's side is from Scotland, and over there, realizes that the earthquake that supposedly killed her mother was no chance event. In order to save Sarah Walton, Hope must venture to the 12th century, during the time of Eleanor of Aquitaine, with siblings Phoebe and Collum.

For more of my review, check it out over here at Wonderland Novels! ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
So this book isn't a complete shit show like some of the other I read. However whenever it feels like it's on it's way to being good... it has to throw in something that jut kills the moment.

The book starts out with Hope's mother missing and them both at the funeral since she's supposed to be dead. Don't worry, lots of brown people died for this plot moment as the reason she is suspected of being dead is that there was an earthquake in India that caused the place she was to be lecturing at to collapse and of course since she was supposed to be there they thought she was dead. However Hope looking at a video saw a pamphlet, written in Hindi as the book points out, that the lecture was cancelled and thus giving her "Hope".
It's pointed out that she has a photographic memory and claustrophobia, because female characters have to have super flaws, where male characters.... maybe just can't swing a sword good if they get any flaws at all. This flaw only comes out in the very end of the book to mar her progress.

Then of course her aunt in Scotland wants her to come over so she can info dump that she's part of these time travelers and has to go save her mom, who is of course alive, with these two others.

The two others. The over protective, semi-alpha male Collum who wants to run everything and get into trouble and doesn't want to take any criticism for it, but will heap it on Hope when he gets the chance. And Phoebe which is kinda the pixie girl with her blue hair and piercings.

We also have Doug from Senegal our black token, who has "Twisted finger length dreadlocks stuck out in all directions as if he'd been tugging on them."He doesn't listen to rap, but Metal music. So he's black but you know.. not BLACK black. He's white people black. He's big with glasses and he's the smart one. I get a feeling he looks exactly like this:

He's the adopted brother to Phoebe... and he's also the love interest of Phoebe.

Now the bad guys.
There's Bran the main love interest who's with the Timeslippers, however he really doesn't do anything to hinder Hope's team. He's been however adopted by Celia.
Celia Alvarez who is of Spanish decent, described as having black hair and olive skin. I get the feeling the author wanted to go for someone from South America, but that wouldn't fit in with the Europe theme so she went with someone from Spain to fit the "evil latina sexy seductress scorned woman" trope. She peels her lips back from her teeth many times to smile sexily at out heroes.
I should note however she's never described as "spicy" so I guess that's a win? Just evil and foreign, peppering her sentences with Spanish at the opportunity. Why is she scorned? Because she was in love with Michael and she killed him, or at least Sarah supposed killed him. Basically because of a man.

And two other goons that don't get much in the way of descriptions other then Eustace that is supposed to look like the grodiest rapist ever. No really he threatens to rape Hope once and then tries to rape the Hope again at the end. He is introduced going to rape Rachel, our Jewish girl that serves no other purpose really than to get Hope into a few places and to be the oppressed Jew that makes us feel good about when Hope is all "Your religion is A-OK!"
We also have Thomas Becket that really hates women and Jewish people.
There's also Babcock, who rapes and beats Sarah, who is Hope's mother.

As for the story we don't get a lot of slutshaming which is good, however the plot really hinges on "Middle Ages were totes bad and all the men were rapists and all the women were getting raped Game of Thrones and all that" going on. Which makes me think the author didn't do the research. I mean there's SOME research here, but it seems picked and chosen.

Overall the books slathers on that the bad guys are really bad and good guys are really good. Bran is always a good person and you never even question him even though he's the adopted son of Celia.
We can tell the bad guys are bad because they are antisemitic misogynists who go around raping and beating women and I'm not joking.

The good things about this book is that adopted children are considered real children. The love interest is actually good and not an alpha male. He's sometimes a jerk, but not such a jerk that you are screaming at Hope to ditch him. The plot is OK and the pacing is fairly striaght.

The bad is that this book wants to preach feminism with Eleanor of Aqutaine and all that, but women are slutshamed a few times and it's mostly "It's feminist because the men are horrible misogynists so it can't be that bad."
Sarah is raped and beaten while pregnant and turns into a simpering weakling, despite being built up to be this strong woman.
Many times it's taken out of Hope's hands to injure or kill someone by a man. However she does get to murder someone finally, maybe. Which is the "MC but be a pure innocent flower.

Really this book is about as mediocre as you can get. It doesn't want to make me hate it so much because it stays fairly decent, but it also plays a ton of the YA tropes that you can find in books like Awoken, straight. ( )
  Maverynthia | Jul 27, 2017 |
[b:Into the Dim|25897792|Into the Dim (Into the Dim, #1)|Janet B. Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1445519198s/25897792.jpg|42755574] is a great read! If you love exciting action, family drama, excellent character development, time travel paradoxes, and challenging, thought-provoking situations, you will also love this book. I look forward to the next story in the series. ( )
  blmyers | May 15, 2017 |
Into the Dim is essentially a conglomeration of book features I loathe. We have the beginnings of the now ubiquitous love triangle. The ever charming slut shaming used as a device to make the protagonist more interesting. Obnoxious displays of male bravado and machismo. Nauseatingly overblown teen romance. Hope, sixteen and oblivious, embarks on tantalizing journey through time to rescue her mother from the clutches of the 12th century. Complete with backstabbing, medieval courts, and a race against both the clock and a tribe of evil time travelers, all the while Hope is learning the limits of her potential and the truth of her mysterious origins, Into the Dim is heavy with drama, but rather light on substance. While the setting, from modern-day Scotland to Middle Ages London, is beautiful and the premise intriguing, unfortunately Into the Dim is little more than predictable, cheesy, and overwrought with stereotypes. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
The premise of Into the Dim really intrigued me. It's claimed to be the Outlander of the YA genre. A time travel story set in Scotland. It has to be good, right?

I had high hopes for this one but in the end I was both disappointed and frustrated. I really enjoy time travel stories and that aspect of Into the Dim was OK, not great but not overly bad either. The way the stories interweave and jump back and forth was for the most part done well and not hard to follow. Where I did have huge problems was with the whole set in Scotland part. I'm Scottish born and bred, I've lived in Scotland my whole life so perhaps I'm harder to please when it comes to the dialect etc but I found the dialect and portrayal of the Scots in this book to be way off the mark. The Scots dialect got me more and more annoyed the further I read. You don't want to know how many pages of highlights I have marked!

Apparently being Scottish means we either talk like Yoda: "It's happy we are to finally have you here." "But I'm knowing one thing for certain." "And it's pleased we are to have you here." Or use the word "bloody" all the time in our conversations: bloody cold, bloody brilliant, bloody queen, bloody big emerald, bloody amazing, bloody bizarre, bloody wanker, bloody damn, the list goes on. That's more an English thing than a Scottish thing, and even then it's way over used here. And don't even get me started on the "Cheese an' crackers!" or "How in the name of Mary and Bride.." and "Hill of beans." Don't know where the heck the author found those. In the name of the wee man, yes, but in the name of Mary and bride?

Add to that the over use of pure: pure sorry, pure furious, pure tired, pure unusual. The only Scot you'll hear saying "pure" anything are wee neds from Glasgow. And baked beans for breakfast. It's the norm? Perhaps with the occasional full Scots breakfast fry up and certainly not with a fried egg and jam piece. Boke! We have the same as everyone else, you know cereal, toast, fruit and often porridge. And it's clootie dumpling here in Scotland, not spotted dick.

The language in general just didn't work for me. The characters go back in time and just magically understand the dialects and nuances of the people of that time. They don't stand out despite the fact that they don't adapt their language to that of the times. There's a lot of little things like the use of "Okay" in the dialogue in the year 1145. Okay wasn't in use until 1840 and not well known and used commonly until the 1880's.

(Few Americanisms have been more successful than OK, which survived the political campaign of 1840 that fostered it, quickly lost its political significance, and went on to develop use as a verb, adverb, noun, and interjection. The expression was well known in England by the 1880s. - Dictionary.com)

A character traveling back in time using the word "Okay" would stand out and draw attention to themselves but here it's just brushed over.

Authors if you are going to set your story in another country, using a dialect you are not familiar with, please do proper research. Ask someone who lives there and uses the dialect for advice or find a beta reader who is also familiar with it. The Scots in this book is awful, it's like a cross between Outlander (exaggerated and outdated), Rab C Nesbitt, gibberish and English slang.

I cannot stress enough the importance of research, it would have made a world of difference here. Instead it seems like the author has taken silly stereotypes and ran with it, then thrown in a little Yoda for the hell of it.

Not one I would recommend. ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Dec 9, 2016 |

Sixteen-year-old Hope Walton travels back in time to help rescue her mother, a member of the secret society of time travelers, who is trapped in twelfth-century England in the age of Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Janet B. Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,001,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible