Jericho Beach by Brett Hopson

Jericho Beach

by Brett Hopson

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byDiane_K

I enjoyed Jericho Beach. It was a quick read and the development of the main characters was in depth. This is Mr. Hopson's second novel and I think he shows promise.

Amanda Tete Jaune is an investigator who isn't very experienced so her boss tells her that on her next case she has to work with Purdy and unknown to Amanda. Their job is going to be an easy one to investigate an insurance claim that is believed to be fraudulent. Gerald Ferrins is claiming a back injury that is causing him disability.

From the get go, everything goes wrong and Amanda and Purdy find themselves embroiled in the middle of a child abduction. It gets worse as Ferrins has a partner who really does not care who he hurts, maims or kills. Ferrins gets caught thanks to Amanda and Purdy - Purdy being seriously injured but the elusive 'Jack' is in the wind.

Thus begins a very scary chase of Amanda by Jack in order to get the child back. I feel that it is a revenge scenario but since she is a detective Jack might think that she will lead him to the child.

Amanda is Metis and grew up in Cache. Native American kids did not have it easy in school. Her home life was not the greatest and the reader can definitely tell those factors formed her personality. She isn't the greatest or even that good of a detective as Purdy points out in the beginning of their job. She definitely assumes too much about people, mostly in the negative. Amanda, herself, realizes halfway through the book she will never be happy and I tend to agree with her.

Purdy is something else. He tells it like it is and, he is a very good detective. He's observant and sharp. The only way the reader gets to know his background is by the glimpses of stories that he has written down in notebooks. At the time we meet him he is a bit down on his luck but has a roof over his head and is living with Echo in a cheap hotel.

Echo is a young, vibrant young woman who Amanda assumes is Purdy's live-in girlfriend. She is bright and makes a great detective even though she isn't one officially. Echo is observant and puts 2 & 2 together better than either Amanda or Purdy.

The only problem I had with Jericho Beach is that between Part 2 and 3 there is a huge gap. That's why my rating of 3 stars. Yes, the reader knows why the change for Amanda but it would be nice to know what steps went into accomplishing the change. It felt like all of a sudden we needed to get on with the story but like I said, it is a good story.

The author as provided me with a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes. ( )
  Diane_K | Aug 1, 2015 |

Brett Hopson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,180,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible