Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1) by J.T.…

Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)

by J.T. Geissinger

DNF at 75%.

After reading several no-so-great reviews of this book, once I was approved on Netgalley I decided I would give it a chance. What am I referring to? Some pretty offensive remarks about a supposedly transgender character, transgender people in general, and Asians. They were just as offensive as I had expected but I wanted to see what happened after those remarks because the premise of the story was intriguing.

Unfortunately it just didn't get better.

Kat has a long history of physically and mentally abusive relationships with men, and (we are told but never shown) she has become a much stronger person after coming out the other side. She has very protective friends (we're told, but when it comes down to it they give their blessing to a man they just saw in a physical fight with strangers...) who don't want to see her go down that road again.

Nico is also a man with some major baggage in his past including physical abuse from his parents, and Avery his sister is a drug addict to the nth degree. He also likes withholding pertinent information from relevant parties while acting like they are in the wrong for asking, and has some major anger issues with include him getting physically violent on more than one occasion.

These people need therapy and they need to not be together. Theirs is one of those classic relationships where someone ends up dead in the end. Nico even says it, in this gem of a veiled threat which was incidentally the last line I read of this book:

"You don't run away from what we have and keep breathin'! This ends, it'll kill us both!"

But you want to know the kicker line for me? This one was just a few paragraphs before the one above and was the one that really killed it, though I kept reading for a few moments after like I was in shock or something.

He loved me. I knew he loved me. But at that moment, I would have sworn he was also perfectly capable of wringing my neck.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the point I decided there was no redeeming this book. Don't pick this up unless you enjoy reading abusive relationships between people who have going-back-for-more syndrome. I'm looking at you [b:Beautiful Disaster|11505797|Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)|Jamie McGuire|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358259032s/11505797.jpg|16441531]...

Copy courtesy of Amazon Publishing, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
"5 out of 5 stars!! When Kat (Katherine) meets Nico during his music video shoot, she never expected her world to change in the blink of an eye. But it does. The question is does she have the courage to stay on and enjoy the ride or will "she run for the hills" too soon?

If you’re looking for an EXTREME romantic rollercoaster read than this is the book for you!! Very well written! At times, it made me feel like I was reading Kat's diary. Overall, Kat makes you fall in love all of the characters, even herself.

Reader Disclaimer :: If you were a fan of Travis from Ms. McGuire's "Beautiful Disaster" then I think you'll enjoy Nico from this novel. However, if you weren't a fan of Travis from "Beautiful Disaster" then this probably won't be the best choice for you. Mostly because Nico has an intensity about him that is like Travis. Meaning that while it's undeniable to see that Nico has feelings for Kat, he's very possessive of her and is quick to rage when he's feeling protective, which I have read previous reviews that some female readers didn't like reading "heroes" who were portrayed like that. Therefore, if that reader is you and you don't like possessive heroes (like Nico & Travis) then I don't think you’re right for this novel.

Now back to the good stuff..."

Read more of this review and THREE TEASERS here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2015/06/idolizing-in-bad-habit-series-... -- TO BE POSTED ON MY BLOG BY JUNE 14, 2015! --

Find out more about my reviews at my blog here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/ ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Sweet as Sin by J.T. Geissinger is a rocking start to the Bad Habit Series. Hollywood makeup artist Kat Reid agrees to work on the set of a new music video for the world-famous band Bad Habit. When lead singer, Nico Nyx, girlfriend show up too drunk to play her role in the video, they convince Kat to play the part. Kat and Nyx have incredible chemistry in the video that Nyx wants to peruse off camera.

I really enjoyed this contemporary rock romance suitable for new adult and adult audiences. Both Kat and Nico are complex characters that grow throughout the story. They have an incredible chemistry. Nico is hiding his past, and Kat discovers his secrets in this story. The story is emotional and heartfelt. The plot is intense and believable. The characters are likable. J.T. Geissinger is off to a great new series. I cannot wait for the next book.

Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Feb 11, 2016 |

Twentysomething Kat Reid is loving life as an in-demand Hollywood makeup artist. She has absolutely no interest in rock 'n' roll, but in order to pay the mortgage, she agrees to work on the set of a rock video for the world-famous rockers known as Bad Habit, which brings her face-to-face with Nico Nyx, lead singer of Bad Habit and Adonis in the flesh. However, the fiercely independent Kat isn't impressed by the hard-living, womanizing rock star. But when Nico's model girlfriend shows up to the set drunk and Kat is tapped to replace her as the video's sexy bride, her combustible chemistry with Nico suddenly threatens to consume the set. Nico feels it, too and becomes determined to win Kat over, body and soul. Yet behind his rock god swagger, Nico hides a dark secret. Can he rock Kat's world forever, or will he just break her heart?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,451,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible