Dirty English by Ilsa Madden-Mills

As with other book written by Ilsa Madden-Mills, this book is suck you right in, cannot put it down, and hot steamy good! Unlike her other books, this is a college age book, and mostly takes place around the life of college students. This book is very Pride and Prejudice ‘like’.

The heroin is from the wrong side of the tracks and has a let’s say horrid life that she is picking herself up from and doing a damn good job. With everything including her own mother going against her, Elizabeth Bennett, I trying to put a very bad experience behind her. Her worst fears come back to haunt her, when her Mr. Darcy saves the day.

Declan is the HOT Brit with the muscles and accent that will melt the panties off every co-ed on campus. Wait, he already did that! He is also the best underground fighter, which, is something that Elizabeth is not too pleased to find out. But when those fighting skills are used to save the day, what can she say!!

The characters are strong and developed and the story is amazing. I was hooked from the first paragraph. This is a standalone book, but I really wish that Ilsa would turn it into a series just so we can find out more of the other characters. I want to know more about Dax, Declan’s twin brother.

Reviewed by Patti for East Coast Book Chicks. East Coast Book Chicks was provided with an advance copy of the book by the author in exchange for a review. This review will also appear on the blog and its (Amazon) page.
  pcorrea3 | Dec 19, 2016 |
Lusty, but not worth 4.5 stars.
  bcrowl399 | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book can easily become a series. The end made me want more! ( )
  seyebrows | Dec 30, 2015 |
I have sat here for days trying to figure out what I should and shouldn't say about this book. I still really don't know. I have so many wonderful thoughts running through my head about this one, but I can't seem to get them down a straight path. There isn't anything other than praises for this one!

The British are not only coming, but they have arrived! And boy did they arrive in fashion! Twins. Twin British men. Women swoon over that accent. I don't think it really matters what they look like, as soon as they talk, panties are flying! Well, they practically were in this one.

This book isn't just about girl meets boy, boy meets girl, they fall for one another. This story goes a little deeper than that. This is a well-paced story about two people who have a mutual attraction to one another and growing feelings for one another, while they are battling their own demons in the same breath. This is a story about not just falling in love, but learning to leave the past behind you to move forward.

This story is everything you want. It is witty. It is sweet at times. It is sad at times. It is the perfect combination that makes it a book that you won't want to put down.

Ilsa does a superb job with the references and symbolism from Pride and Prejudice in this book. I was curious on how she was going to make the two parallel or what she was going to do to connect them in some way. I was honestly scared. But, I had no need to be scared. The subtleties were there in perfect form.

This book is so well-written. I was engaged from the first page. It didn't take me pages (or even chapters) to get into this one. I loved that. No one wants to force themselves through what feels like useless rambling at the beginning of the book. This book has absolutely none of that. The words flow from the beginning to the end. And everything in the middle is absolutely wonderful! ( )
  UANBookAddict | Dec 3, 2015 |
Dirty English by Ilsa Madden-Mills

Elizabeth Bennett (yes, they do mention this ironic name choice) is a Whitman University student in Raleigh, NC, struggling to overcome a sexual assault by a former boyfriend, Colby, as well as life-long neglect and betrayal by her mother. She works in a bookstore and designs and makes jewelry, hoping to make that dream become more than a hobby someday. She has developed strict rules in order to maintain a semblance of control in her life. She doesn't date. She will never fall in love. She occasionally has one-night stands with men SHE chooses and propositions. Men who are more on the ordinary side, those who feel safe to her. Those very different from her former boyfriend.

Declan Blay and his twin brother, Dax, were raised in London until their mother died and they were shipped off to live with their wealthy and demanding American father at the age of 10. Much is made of their British accents and colloquialisms. Dax is fun-loving, a free spirit who outwardly doesn't seem to take college or life seriously. Declan, however, has recently been betrayed by a girlfriend and has turned his focus on opening up his own gym, continuing to work as a trainer, and dreams of himself becoming a UFC fighter, with or without his father's support. He's much more serious. He's an English major who can recite the entirety of Pride & Prejudice. He "gets" girls and what they like is the point they were making with that tidbit, I guess. It works, by the way, as it shows a sensitive side in contrast to his bulked-up fighter physique and persona.

Elizabeth doesn't like drinking and makes a point to avoid people who drink (another rule to maintain control), but she finally agrees to go to a frat party with her two best friends, Shelley and Blake, wherein she meets the two brothers. Sparks fly instantly between Elizabeth and Declan. There is off-the-charts chemistry between them, but they also enjoy talking to each other. They both seem to instinctively feel better in the other's presence.

These two felt right from the beginning. Their angst and problems focused around their own inner personal demons they are fighting in letting go of past hurts and learning to trust again. There is also some outward drama, suspense and danger thrown in as well.

I thought all the characters were well-developed and interesting. Declan, the H, is basically perfect. There are some whispered "sweet nothings" that just make you go awww. He's totally worth all the high praise he has received in other reviews I've read on the net. This one is worth the read so you can see for yourself!

I would definitely read this again and will go into my keeper pile. And whew! What can you say about the cover? I'm gobsmacked! ;) ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Oct 20, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,558,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible