As Good as Gold by Heidi Wessman Kneale

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byMarFisk

No tags.

Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect when I picked up As Good as Gold by Heidi Wessman Kneale, but the blurb held enough interesting elements, I wanted to find out. The novella turned out to be a fun little morality tale.

When it started with a theft, I worried I wouldn’t like the story because the cause didn’t seem worthy. More fool I.

Rather than a simple motivation of wanting true love, Daywen is facing the very real example of the future awaiting her in her sister’s fate, a lack of options in the small town where she lives, and a desperate need to change that future. I especially liked the true power she obtained with the stolen gold when she buys the gypsy’s help, especially because it’s not what it appears to be.

Then Bel’s side of the unfolding tale is another layer of real complexity that seems simple at first but grows layer upon layer until the two main characters become unmoveable, opposing forces. Something has to give, and it does in all the right ways.

The dialect is a little strong, and I wish the German phrases had been translated so I could understand every word, but neither undermined my ability to enjoy this interesting story.

Now I want to know what happened to her sister and have that made right too. This is not because the story felt lacking, but rather the world introduced was intriguing and there seems to be more possibilities to be explored, always a sign of a strong tale. ( )
  MarFisk | Aug 2, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,812,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible