The Gifting by K. E. Ganshert

This is a hard review to write because I am primarily reviewing the audio book version. Let's start out with the fact that I read the book first and very much enjoyed it. I would give the book itself five stars. On the other hand, I would give the audio version four stars. While the voice artist did a good job (certainly better than average), I have also listened to quite a few books where the voice artist did a better job of differentiating the different characters as well as differentiating female and male characters. For this reason, I could not bring myself to rate the audio portion 5 stars. Thus, I guess my overall review would be 4.5 stars, but Amazon did not give me the option to review provide an "average" of the two. Bottom line, I enjoyed reading the book better than listening to it. That said, the big difference may also be that I read the book first. I'm not 100% sure whether I would have rated it higher if the content had been new to me when I listened to it. ( )
  Firesmith | Dec 22, 2016 |
Great series

I waited to write this review after I finished the entire series. Just like other reviewers mentioned, I was unsure if I would like this series from the start. I don't particular like thinking about evil and its forces in our world. However, this series was well written. Don't stop reading!! As far as my kids are concerned, I probably will want them to be older teens before reading it. Solid in their own beliefs and able to discuss the topics brought up. Overall I loved the story and characters and highly recommend it. ( )
  cool-mom-e | May 7, 2016 |
I'm not sure what I expected when I received this audio copy of The Gifting by K.E. Ganshert. I was excited, since I was just about to start on the print copy and with the chance to listen to the book first, and then see if I like audiobooks, sounds good. My first audiobook was The Fault in Our Stars, which I specifically borrowed, knowing that I've already read the book version several times. Since I'm familiar with it, I won't have a problem but to focus on what about audiobooks do I like. Now, with The Gifting, it will be my very first audiobook that I've not read the print version beforehand. My thinking was that I'd be able to jump onto the book if I really didn't like the audio version. So the verdict? I listened to the whole thing, until the last 2 chapters, for reasons I'll explain later.

Now back to The Gifting. O, what a fascinating story! And I don't mean it with any sarcasm whatsoever! I truly mean how captivated I was. At first, it was more like "hmmm, what's going on?" and a bunch of other questions that popped into my head. I was so into it that I kept going, waiting to hear what's going on next and get some answers! The premise of a society where religion is frowned upon and churches are underground, and all sense of God is dismissive, seems so out of tune, but sadly have some merit to it. And then the idea that the government controls most aspects of your life seems ludicrous, yet, that also have merit. (I will refrain fom going into politics here).

O my, for some eye candy (ear candy?), the the brooding Luka with the intense stare can get any girl's heart beating faster than...than a roller coaster ride. As for Tess, you have the typical teenage girl shyness and insecurity that is very well written. However, I must say it took some getting use to hearing the narrator, Heather Masters narrate as Tess. The voice sounds "breathy" and the beat of the narration seems slow. However, in some time, around chapter 6, you'll get use to it all, and understand that she is shy and recluse to herself in many ways. Leela and Luka opened her up, a bit. It does have me imagining a very weak gal, not at all the supposedly strong-willed Tess with a black belt, of all things! Even for that, as time progress in the audio book, I was more and more engrossed. I need to know what happens and why things happen. Many times over, I wanted to jump right into the book and continue on, but I didn't. Then, for the last 2 chapters, I couldn'the help it and hopped over to the book and read it. I know! But I needed to know what happen and I couldn't wait for the next 20 minutes of so. So I read it and then went back to listen to it. Yes, I'm weird, but at least I went back and listened to it. It's good.

In all a great story of a far too possible society (that makes you think), great intriguing characters, a mystery you want to solve, a young adult novel with all the great teenage drama, and what's more? You'll have to find out. *wink wink. I must also mention that even though this is not categorized in the Christian fiction genre, K.E., aka Katie Ganshert, is a Christian (and she does write inspirational novels) and The Gifting does have qualities that seeps through from an inspirational point of view. I think that is also something I love about this series. I'm jumping the gun here, since I've yet to read or listen to the other 2 books, but I will. That's how sure I am. Just look at them! Pretty covers with a captivating story that will get you hooked.

The first 3 chapters of The Gifting is available on Katie's website. Check it out, or just go grab the currently free digital version (limited time). As to audiobooks, even though I still prefer a printed book in my hand, I must say audiobooks are convenient. In this case, I think it took me into Tess & Luka's world a little more visually with sound. I will need to try out some more audiobooks to have a better assessment of my interest.

This review first appeared on Just Commonly Blog.

NOTE: I received a complimentary audio copy of this book for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page. ( )
  justcommonly | Mar 17, 2016 |
OK... Kicking myself because I haven't reviewed this here yet. *face-palm*

Never judge a book by it’s synopsis!!!

OH MY WORD! The synopsis doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of this AMAZING story!

However, I will say; that first line is INTRIGUING…

“If science is right, then I am crazy. And crazy is dangerous.”

See... intriguing.

Immediately, you want to know what she means. I mean – I know there are crazy people in the world who are dangerous but what exactly is it that makes her crazy and how is it dangerous?

For most people, that would be all they need but I have to tell you, at this point, that it took me a long time to decide I should read the book – simply because of the game mentioned in the synopsis.

I’m not a fan... well, Tess isn’t either. YAY!

Anyway, I SOOOO should have given in and read this long ago – when it first came out. Of course, I would have been absolutely insane waiting a month for the next book... especially considering I have nearly three months until “The Gathering” is available and I’m already going nuts! (or... I did when I wrote this review. lol)

If you are at all a fan of science fiction, dystopian, fantasy or speculative fiction – this is not a book to miss! Actually, if you enjoy adventure, mystery or magical realism – you would love this book too!

It is just an AMAZING book! I simply can’t say it enough!

Katie (K.E.) will have you glued to your seat and your nose buried in the story while you’re up to your ears in our heroine’s confusion and devastation!

Review © JCMorrows 2015 ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible