The Fall of Icarus (The Elevator, The Fall…

The Fall of Icarus (The Elevator, The Fall of Icarus, and The Girl)

by NR Bates

431,664,912 (4.5)None

An errant elevator, Greek myth, and a girl who can fly. Each of these stories can stand on their own. Together they make a strong statement for making our own choices, seizing opportunities, and following our own paths.

As these are short stories, I can’t give much more description.

I did get a feeling that some of these stories were left unfinished. Could have been given a real ending. That brought me back to their messages which I mentioned in the beginning of my review. Maybe leaving an open ending was so I could choose how it would go.

What I enjoyed was putting myself in each character’s shoes. What would I do? Would I succeed? Could I have done something different?

When a book can make me do that. Make me pause, think, ask questions, I know I’ve been reading some strong writing. ( )
  laura-thomas | Feb 1, 2016 |
Truly a collection of short stories I didn’t want to end. I reread the trio several times, each instance conjuring up vivid imagery, my imagination fully engaged – the hallmark of outstanding writing.

Three stellar short stories interrelated, connecting at the conclusion. At first you are blind to the relation, as you progress you grasp the linkage. Three dimensional characters, elegant and evoking writing with such lush descriptions you find yourself drowning in stunning prose. A collection resonating, lingering in your thoughts. ( )
  melinda_hence | Aug 13, 2015 |
This book has three short stories, The Elevator, The Fall of Icarus, and The Girl.

My favorite was The Elevator because the main character is claustrophobic and so am I. I could feel his fear as the elevator lurched and suddenly stopped. This elevator was quite old and when the doors opened he is always in different places, encountering people and situations that were not what he expected. It’s up to him as to what happens from there.

The other two stories are interesting too. The book is really short and can be read quickly. I love short stories and this book did not disappoint me. I also liked the writing style of the author. There were no lulls in the story and that made the book flow well.

If you like short stories, I think you’ll enjoy this book. ( )
  VickiLN | Aug 3, 2015 |

Three interconnected short-stories set in Paris explore the issue of choice, survival and transformation. In the first story, a young man on his first business trip is waylaid by an aberrant elevator. In the pivotal tale, a young scientist re-imagines the Greek myth of Icarus and his fall to earth. In the final story, a young woman who cannot recall her own name relates the fantastical tale of a girl who can fly.

NR Bates is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible