Hopscotch Homicide (Zoe Donovan Mystery)…

Hopscotch Homicide (Zoe Donovan Mystery) (Volume 16) (edition 2015)

by Kathi Daley (Author)

1131,186,400 (4.67)None
Member:LaurasReading
Title:Hopscotch Homicide (Zoe Donovan Mystery) (Volume 16)
Authors:Kathi Daley (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2015), 302 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:cozy mystery, crime, murder, raising children, small town

Hopscotch Homicide by Kathi Daley

I had so much fun reading this book from the moment I picked it up:) I love that Zak and Zoe are now proud "parents" to 3 kids, dogs, kitties, and a new school. They have been busy. Since the honeymoon they have so many new responsibilities, PTA assistant, coordinator for PTA activities, Soccer mom, Football mom, cheerleader mom, on top of solving the murder of the lunch lady. Zoe is loving being Supermom right now but I am thinking things may get a little hairy in the next adventure of Zak and Zoe:)
About the book inside a book, I loved it. Phyllis is great with the kids and they are showing her that life isn't over for her and a chance for love is in the air:) Can't wait for the next adventure for Zak, Zoe,Phyllis, all the kids and of corse Levi and Ellie. ( )
  Penny_Burns_Marks | Aug 4, 2015 |
We had been "warned" that now that Zoe Donovan is married she may settle some and be less of a bumbling amateur sleuth. Don't believe it! In this fantastic addition to her series she discovers a body in the rain and puts on a tumbling mud show at the first football game of the season.
I was very happy to have the whole gang involved in this episode.

Written with a story within a story. We are treated to the beginnings of a potential romance between a favorite senior character and a new member of the community.
There are also teenage flirtations arising for the inexperienced new guardians to deal with.

I can not praise this series enough for how it has evolved and the characters grown and developed.
The murder was difficult to solve, with several motives and suspects.
Zak and Zoe are being pulled in many directions and realizing they have to make adjustments to allow time for individual lives and interests they had before children and their new Academy venture.
Having money may help, but the idea is to be part of the kids daily lives and provide a stable environment, so they face the same time struggles as all parents. I look forward to watching it unfold.
I am also looking forward to getting to know the kids better. ( )
  LaurasReading | Aug 3, 2015 |
This book is a little different than previous installments in the Zoe and Zak series. There is a lot more focus on the kids and their school activities than anything else. Sometimes it felt as if the murder mystery were secondary to that part of the story.

However, I love seeing Zoe get more maternal--her shopping trip with Alex was reminiscent of taking MY girls school shopping. And the chapters written from the point of view of Phyllis King, letting us see her life as three teen girls board with her to attend Zimmerman Academy, were a lot of fun as well. I would have liked to see more of Levi and Ellie in this book, and hope we get more of their story soon.

The mystery, as I hinted at in the first paragraph, left me wanting more this time around. It just didn't really grab me and have me turning page after page to follow the clues and discover the killer.

So, while I enjoyed this story, I hope the mystery goes back to being the primary focus in future books. ( )
  TeresaKander | Aug 3, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,366,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible