Riptide: A Florida Panhandle Mystery (#2) by…

Riptide: A Florida Panhandle Mystery (#2)

by Michaela Thompson

Several descriptions of this novel call it a "cozy". It is not. "Cozy" implies a certain light tone, and this novel is deeply solemn. While not quite grim, it is full of angst.

It's a reasonably well-thought-out mystery that I found somewhat but not entirely predictable.

Its weakest point, I think, is that none of the characters come across as likeable or even sympathetic, except maybe for Isabel's aunt's nurse, and one small child. Since we don't spend much time with either of them, that doesn't help much.

I also did not care for the carefully anonymous chapters from the killer's point of view; I'm not even sure that they were necessary, and they did show the author explicitly withholding information. Mystery authors need to do that! but they should be more subtle about it, I think!

By the way, the title has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot or characters. Why???

This could have been a really enjoyable read, but the deadpan tone and the flat characters prevented that, despite a good plot. ( )
  cissa | Oct 12, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible