Bad City by Matt Mayr

Bad City

by Matt Mayr

198537,190 (3.06)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recieved this as part of the early reviewers program. I just couldn't get into this one. ( )
  CarriePalmer | Apr 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Kill or be killed. Post apocalyptic stories can be so depressing, and dirty. Literally dirty. I can just picture the dirt under everyone's fingernails. Forget the anxiety over the constant threat of violence, I just wanted someone to get a hot bath. Ah well, I liked the main character Simon and his girl, hope the cabin was there in the wilderness. ( )
  melissajerome | Feb 16, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to Librarything and the publisher for a free copy of this ebook.
I find that post-apocalyptic novels can be a hit or a miss. Bad City, Matt Mayr's debut novel was a definite hit with me. I was engaged from the start and had a hard time putting it down, right through to the ending which did not disappoint.

Set in North Town and South Town, societies created after catastrophic flooding, the reader is introduced to a violent world where people are ruled by fear and desperation.

There are many interesting, well-developed characters, my favourite being Simon Gray, a young thief, disillusioned by society. He prepares to escape into the unknown, beyond the city limits with his love interest, Eva. They gather seeds and other survival essentials to start a new life in the wilds of Northern Ontario at his parents' old cabin.

Flashbacks of Simon's life growing up in Northern Ontario and India are seamlessly interspersed with the present day story. I found them particularly fascinating as they helped me to understand and become invested in Simon's character.

All in all, Bad City is a very well written, engaging read. ( )
  paulamc | Jan 11, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I read the author's bio I understood the origin of the detail of the book. This post apocalypse novel is not special except for the details of survival incorporated in the narrative. Even though it follows the tried and true format of the genre, it is made more interesting by the inclusion of survival detail that only an experienced hunter and fisherman would be able to provide. Enjoyable read, not unusual, but interesting for the inclusion of special details, I'd recommend. ( )
  dmclane | Jan 1, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In a solid premier, Bad City, by Matt Mayr examines revenge, regret, hope, and redemption as envisioned in a post-apocalyptic feudal society. In the world created by Mayr, a simple thief is drawn into a web of intrigue that reaches back to the earliest days of society's fall, and which may determine the future course of the city's inhabitants.

Featuring clear, dedicative writing and strong character development, this novel is strides above others in this genre. Mayr should be proud of his efforts, and it should satisfy fans of the futuristic, post-apocalyptic genre. ( )
  ekricci | Dec 14, 2015 |

In the violent world of post-apocalyptic South Town, Eli Baxter is king, ruling from the thirteenth floor of his building while henchman do his bidding. Simon Gray, a talented young thief, now disillusioned with South Town, is desperate to escape with the woman he loves. As he plots their journey north, glimpses of his childhood in South India and Northern Ontario reveal the world as it once was, fueling his desire to break away. But when he's handed a new job, one that will make Eli untouchable, Simon realizes that escape - and transcendence to love and a peaceful way of life - might be harder than he thought.

In the violent world of post-apocalyptic South Town, Eli Baxter is king, ruling from the thirteenth floor of his building while henchman do his bidding. Simon Gray, a talented young thief, now disillusioned with South Town, is desperate to escape with the woman he loves. As he plots their journey north, glimpses of his childhood in South India and Northern Ontario reveal the world as it once was, fueling his desire to break away. But when he's handed a new job, one that will make Eli untouchable, Simon realizes that escape (and transcendence to love and a peaceful way of life) might be harder than he thought.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Matt Mayr's book Bad City was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,365,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible