The Red Wraith by Nick Wisseman

The Red Wraith

by Nick Wisseman

Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 1) by Orson Scott Card (Jarandel)
    Jarandel: The era of early colonization of North America through the eyes of magically gifted protagonists.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I went into this novel a little wary of some of the concepts: I work closely with many Native American populations and individuals and am very aware of the stereotypes that arise in literature. Many times it's downright painful. Thankfully I felt that Wisseman managed to take a relatively authentic view of the population...well, with added magic. And this magic was not just found in Native Americans, nor part of their faith or society (something that J. K. Rowling has received a good deal of criticism for in some of her recent releases that utilize Native American society as "magical"). That is a whole other story :) Anyhow, Wisseman presents an interesting novel here, one that I did enjoy. I will admit that it was a bit tedious at times, as the pacing would slow a great deal. A huge amount of inner dialogue left me skimming at time. Also Naysin's "fathers," who possess him, get a huge chunk of the ending of the novel, which bogged things down for me. I never felt a connection to them, and their story didn't draw me in. Overall, this was an interesting alternate history. I did really like how Wisseman took pains to show what happened to Native American society in the face of the overwhelming death toll that Smallpox took on the continents when Europeans brought it here (and people think the Black Death was bad--it had nothing on what happened in the Americas). If you are into historical fiction with a dash of magic, this is one to check out. ( )
  Meradeth | Jun 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I finished it. Finally. And that is my general feeling on it. (I was not able to read it straight through. I would read a few chapters, and read another book, then come back for a few more chapters, etc. )
The setting is interesting, early North American colonization period, even earlier than the [15642::Seventh Son] books by [[cardorsonscott::Orson Scott Card]] . Not quite sure if qualifies as Alternate History, or just Fantasy set in real world.
None of the characters really grabbed me. I did get most of the historic location/tribe allusions, which was actually some of the more interesting parts of the book for me. (I live near, and have visited Monk's Mound at Cahokia, where the book finishes up.)
Even though I generally enjoy this type of story, something about this just seemed … off maybe? I can't even quite describe the feeling I get from it.

In some ways, it almost feels like it's supposed to be a horror book, but again, not something I can put my finger on. It was just interesting enough for me to want to keep coming back, to find out what happened. The descriptions of how Smallpox and other European diseases decimated the Americas were haunting. ( )
  Lirleni | Mar 12, 2016 |
Historical Fantasy or Alternate History in the era of the early colonization of North America.

Should be enjoyable for people who liked the Alvin Maker series, except this tale happens somewhat earlier and from the point of view of a native. ( )
  Jarandel | Feb 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a very interesting book. It took a unique spin on "magic" or the forces of the world and added it to a parallel history. ( )
  Solasolablah | Feb 11, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a surprising twist on historical fiction that read a bit more like a fantasy story. The prose tries to take the reader through the human loss and devastation that wrecked the Native American populations after they came into contact with the Europeans. But far from just dealing with disease and slavery, there is the mystical aspect of the story and the struggle of the main character to find his purpose in the world, a struggle we as humans always face. ( )
  katielu14 | Feb 6, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nick Wisseman's book The Red Wraith was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,084,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible