Inner Sanctum

Inner Sanctum

312,001,085 (3.5)None
Recently added byTrulyAragorn, JalenV

It was a YES! moment for me when I spotted an audio cassette edition of Inner Sanctum in our county libraries' online catalog. I'd read about the show in Stephen King's Danse Macabre. I'm not at all sorry that I hadn't even been born yet during the 1940s, but I've wished I could hear the show.

The squeaking door sound that opens each episode is spooky, yes (think of a monster screeching). After awhile, it seems to scrape along the nerves. I like the fact that the original ads and World War II public service announcements have been included.

This list of episodes with their original air dates is taken from the back of the case:

'The Man From Yesterday' 12-21-41
***Why does a captured gorilla seem to recognize a man when they've never met before? The answer wasn't what I expected. I'm afraid the female character is there to do something really foolish.

'Terrible Vengeance' 6-14-42
****Members of the Czechoslovakia Underground are being hunted down by a sadistic Nazi and his soldiers. An Englishman in that movement gets captured. I rather liked the vengeance visited on the Nazi.

'The Black Sea Gull' 3-7-43
*** Richard's beloved wife, Barbara, dies because of an injury, but not before she promises to come back. Is Barbara really visiting him or is Richard's doctor correct in thinking that he's imagining it all? (Richard is played by famous horror actor Peter Lorre.)

'The Melody of Death' 4-22-44
***A violinist and his yellow-eyed cat force a woman to do his dirty work. Can her fiancé save her from him? Movie star Mary Astor played the woman.

'The Silent Hands' 5-13-44
****Mary Astor plays Nina, the woman in white. There have been five murders and Barnes suspects she's the serial killer. Can he prove it without being killed himself? Host Raymond Johnson mentioned that Ms. Astor will soon be appearing in a new MGM film -- 'Meet me in St. Louis'.

'The Color Blind Formula' 12-6-44
***1/2 A scientist has come up with a formula to cure color blindness -- a formula that could be worth a lot of money. Be chilled as his assistant tells his beloved how they could get the formula and she agrees she'll do anything for him.

'The Last Story' 9-11-45
***
Poor Rita has been told all her life that she's going to be a murderess some day, as her mother was. Tony, a writer, falls for her as soon as sees her beautiful yellow eyes. He's sure it's all superstition. Then her doctor won't let her see him. Tony is suspicious. (Tony was played by Richard Widmark.)

'The Creeping Wall' 1-8-46

****Our heroine, an aging beauty, keeps imagining that her home has a wall that moves. Horace, her loving and indulgent husband, buys a new house. Karen loves it except for a painting labeled 'Delilah'. She hates that painting beyond reason, but Horace won't let her get rid of it.

'Lady With a Plan' 4-9-46
***
Gladys, a prison warden's wife, wants to be a widow. Bucky Briggs, one of the prisoners, wants the warden dead, too. I smiled at the poem replacement host Paul McGrath recited at the end.

I Want to Report a Murder' 6-18-46
***1/2
Bank employee Martin Wheeler is cursed with a very jealous wife. He's very tired of her unfounded suspicions. On his way to bowling, he stops to help a pretty young woman. What could go wrong?

'The Dead Laugh' 9-23-46

A judge ignores the jury's recommendation that the defendant receive life in prison for killing a scumbag and gives him a harsher sentence. The defendant has a wish. The judge is unimpressed. I'd be much happier with the outcome but for two other characters.

'The Ghost in the Garden' 2-10-47
****Laura is so happy with her life at Green Towers, her younger husband, Tony, and the lovely roses in the garden. She won't let her Uncle Edward spoil everything, she won't! Perhaps her mother's legacy can help her.

'Till Death Do Us Part' 10-27-47

Loved the spooky voice saying 'Bromo Seltzer' then turning into a 'choo choo' sound at the beginning. It's Joe and Nancy Stone's wedding night, but they've witnessed a murder and the murderer saw them. As you listen, keep in mind that this is 1947, so the couple are supposed to be have waited to have sex for the first time on their wedding night.

'Death Out of Mind' 12-29-47

Reporter Ed Tate was a jerk who ruined a woman's life just for a story. Unlike some of today's media vultures, his conscience drove him crazy. Kinda rough on his bride, Mary, but rougher still on someone else.

'Murder Takes a Honeymoon' 7/26/48

When George bought Raintree Farm, did he do so figuratively as well as literally? His bride, Mary, isn't pleased to be brought to her new home.

'Murder by Prophecy' 9-27-48
****
An unpleasant young man finds out that one of his ancestors was a prophet and he's the subject of one of the prophecies. He figures out all the clues and reaps the reward.

'Death of a Doll' 10-14-48
***!/2
A reporter becomes infatuated with a woman he meets as a 'Jane Doe' in the morgue. She was found holding a doll that repeats a mysterious name. Can a street artist who once painted the lovely young woman help the reporter uncover the truth about her murder?

'Fearful Voyage' 1-3-49
***
Rita was a bad wife, but her husband could have used an anger management course. One bad decision follows another and another. Will a storm sink the boat?

Now that I've listened to 18 episodes, I'm sorry to have read that most of them were lost. The stories vary in quality from not bad to really good. I didn't see some of the twists coming. Even when I did, it didn't spoil the fun. What a pity for so many of the characters that their first bad decision just kept leading to more. While I couldn't blame some of the characters who wanted revenge, part of the horror is that desire led to the deaths of persons who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. ( )
  JalenV | Aug 13, 2015 |

No primary authorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Johnson, Raymond EdwardShow hostsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, PaulShow hostsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,913,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible