dismiss

Assassination Vacation (2005)

by Sarah Vowell

A tour of key historic sites in America where incidents of political violence have occurred reveals lesser-known points of interest pertaining to each and shares information about how history has been shaped by popular culture and tourism.

Vowell finds herself a lot more hilarious than I do. ( )
  AldusManutius | Jul 5, 2020 |
Her writing was as brilliant as ever, but I thought the subject matter was a little thin for stretching out into a whole book. I enjoyed her meandering into all the tangental topics, but sometimes it comes at the expense of more closely related topics that are barely touched upon. Almost no time is spent trying to flesh out McKinley as an individual, for instance, while page after page is devoted to Teddy Roosevelt. Several pages are devoted to Emma Goldman's relationships, but there's very little discussion of anarachism and why it was such an attractive philosophy in that era. ( )
  James_Maxey | Jun 29, 2020 |
Got this on CD and was unable to listen to even the first disc without giving up. Why they would let an author with a lisp and that tone of voice read her own work is a marketing decision I can't get on board with. Horrible.
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |
Utterly delightful book. Sarah Vowell's enthusiasm for presidential assassinations is completely adorable and I wanted to hug her for every macabre fact she wrote down. ( )
  hatingongodot | May 3, 2020 |
Fascinating story that would have been much better if she had attempted some degree of objectivity. Well worth reading. ( )
  rodweston | Apr 23, 2020 |

Levinthal, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, ConanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olender, JeanetteDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, JonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the Middle Ages, relics spawned a continentwide craze. Devotees packed their bags and streamed out of towns and villages, thronging the pilgrimage trails. For most, a journey to see the relic of St. Thomas or St. James offered the only valid excuse for leaving home.

Anneli Rufus  Magnificent Corpses
"The real Lincoln exists in my mind," Pris said.
  I was astonished. "You don't believe that. What do you mean by saying that? You mean that you have the idea in your mind."
  She cocked her head on one side and eyed me. "No, Louis. I really have Lincoln in my mind. And I've been working night after night to transfer him out of my mind, back into the outside world."

Philip K. Dick  We Can Build You
That's what writing is. You're keeping people alive in your head.

Carl Reiner
In memory of Carlile Vowell (1904–1995)
Grandfather, principal, history teacher, Muskogee County commissioner, wiseacre, and Democrat. What I wouldn't give to hear him cuss that a book about three Republicans has been dedicated in his name.
One night last summer, all the killers in my head assembled on a stage in Massachusetts to sing show tunes.
Going to Ford's Theatre to watch the play is like going to Hooters for the food.
Please do not combine the abridged audiobook of Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation with the unabridged full text of that work. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,865,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible