Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell

Assassination Vacation (2005)

by Sarah Vowell

OMG! Thanks sis for the recommendation! I was hesitant to read this but Sarah Vowell is a GREAT storyteller. I love her facts on the presidents and her stories from her travels. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Hard to explain, but I think I probably would've loved this book 10 years ago. ( )
  poppycock77 | May 26, 2018 |
That was pleasant. I would have given it 4 stars except it didnt't have sources listed and I demand sources. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
This is an awesome book...everyone could get something out of it. Sarah Vowell is clever and hilarious and the fact that she combines intense and depressing American history into her humorous and entertaining adventure speaks to her literary talent. She meticulously and obsessively researched for this book and offers in-depth details that made it a compelling read. Whether you are a history buff, voracious reader or just looking for a quick read, it's a good one. ( )
  emjmace | Aug 1, 2017 |
I love Vowell. Who else but Violet from the Incredibles would undertake a tour of asassination sites - and make it interesting, funny and compelling? That said, she wears her liberal politics on her sleeve, so those with a more right wing opinion might be annoyed by those sections. Read around it, it's worth it. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |

Levinthal, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, ConanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olender, JeanetteDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, JonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the Middle Ages, relics spawned a continentwide craze. Devotees packed their bags and streamed out of towns and villages, thronging the pilgrimage trails. For most, a journey to see the relic of St. Thomas or St. James offered the only valid excuse for leaving home. -Anneli Rufu Magnificent Corpses
In memory of Carlile Vowell (1904–1995)
Grandfather, principal, history teacher, Muskogee County commissioner, wiseacre, and Democrat. What I wouldn't give to hear him cuss that a book about three Republicans has been dedicated in his name.
One night last summer, all the killers in my head assembled on a stage in Massachusetts to sing show tunes.
Going to Ford's Theatre to watch the play is like going to Hooters for the food.
Please do not combine the abridged audiobook of Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation with the unabridged full text of that work. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074326004X, Paperback)

Sarah Vowell exposes the glorious conundrums of American history and culture with wit, probity, and an irreverent sense of humor. With Assassination Vacation, she takes us on a road trip like no other -- a journey to the pit stops of American political murder and through the myriad ways they have been used for fun and profit, for political and cultural advantage.

From Buffalo to Alaska, Washington to the Dry Tortugas, Vowell visits locations immortalized and influenced by the spilling of politically important blood, reporting as she goes with her trademark blend of wisecracking humor, remarkable honesty, and thought-provoking criticism. We learn about the jinx that was Robert Todd Lincoln (present at the assassinations of Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley) and witness the politicking that went into the making of the Lincoln Memorial. The resulting narrative is much more than an entertaining and informative travelogue -- it is the disturbing and fascinating story of how American death has been manipulated by popular culture, including literature, architecture, sculpture, and -- the author's favorite -- historical tourism. Though the themes of loss and violence are explored and we make detours to see how the Republican Party became the Republican Party, there are all kinds of lighter diversions along the way into the lives of the three presidents and their assassins, including mummies, show tunes, mean-spirited totem poles, and a nineteenth-century biblical sex cult.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:50 -0400)

A tour of key historic sites in America where incidents of political violence have occurred reveals lesser-known points of interest pertaining to each and shares information about how history has been shaped by popular culture and tourism.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible