Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell

Assassination Vacation (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Sarah Vowell

3,482None1,520 (4.05)172
Member:joelhagan
Title:Assassination Vacation
Authors:Sarah Vowell
Info:Simon & Schuster (2006), Paperback, 258 pages
Rating:*****

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell (2005)

Abraham Lincoln (29) America (31) American (23) American History (166) American Presidents (26) assassination (113) assassins (25) audiobook (31) biography (36) essay (26) essays (181) Garfield (31) history (516) humor (325) Lincoln (53) McKinley (33) memoir (83) non-fiction (486) NPR (23) own (32) politics (80) Presidents (129) read (82) sarah vowell (28) to-read (57) travel (197) travelogue (20) unread (21) US History (53) USA (53)

The most entertaining book you'll ever read about the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley. ( )
  JennyArch | Feb 27, 2014 |
Not my favorite of Vowell's books, but still very enjoyable. For some reason I didn't connect with this one as much as her other two audiobooks that I've listened to so far, Unfamiliar Fishes (probably my favorite) and The Wordy Shipmates. But Vowell's deadpan delivery and sarcastic humor is still in full force here; I highly recommend her audiobooks, even if they are abridged. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
Assassination Vacation is another one of those jewels I picked up on a Kindle Daily Deal. I jumped on the offer because I so enjoyed Unfamiliar Fishes a couple of years ago.

I think I enjoyed both of Sarah Vowell's books because I think she might be my twin. My much younger, quite a bit funnier twin that stops to read all the historical markers wherever she goes like me. She's the one who does all the cool things I always wanted to do like write great non-fiction books that bring to light details about historic events that you might not even know about and she gets to travel to cool places to do it.

In Assassination Vacation, Vowell compiles a travelogue describing places she's visited associated with three Presidential murders--Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley. Now think about it--when's the last time you read a good book on the McKinley assassination? That's just one good reason you should read this book. (And if you just asked yourself "Did we really have a President McKinley?" that's another.)

Accompanying her on her jaunts through museums and graveyards are her sister and especially lovable nephew. Her stories about them bring a personal touch to the book as do her stories about her personal history. The way she weaves the stories of her travels, her family, her politics, and the Presidents makes for a cant-put-it-down book, evidenced by the fact that I finished it in 5 days--way shorter than my usual several months average.

If you're looking to learn interesting stuff told in a funny way, you need to read this book. Highly recommended! ( )
  spounds | Feb 5, 2014 |
I thought that this book would be an interesting concept ~ and it was, just not my cup of tea. Her humor did not appeal to me. ( )
  VjPratt51 | Jan 1, 2014 |
Sarah Vowell has a funny, distinct voice, and her interest in fairly obscure historical topics always makes for a unique and enjoyable read. This book provided lots of great details large and small about Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, and their respective assassins. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is that it seems a bit dated -- lots of references to George Bush and other current events of 2003-4. It makes the book feel less than timeless. ( )
  verbafacio | Dec 20, 2013 |

Sarah Vowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dzama, MarcelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Levinthal, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olender, JeanetteDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the Middle Ages, relics spawned a continentwide craze. Devotees packed their bags and streamed out of towns and villages, thronging the pilgrimage trails. For most, a journey to see the relic of St. Thomas or St. James offered the only valid excuse for leaving home. -Anneli Rufu Magnificent Corpses
One night last summer, all the killers in my head assembled on a stage in Massachusetts to sing show tunes.
Going to Ford's Theatre to watch the play is like going to Hooters for the food.
Please do not combine the abridged audiobook of Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation with the unabridged full text of that work. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074326004X, Paperback)

Sarah Vowell exposes the glorious conundrums of American history and culture with wit, probity, and an irreverent sense of humor. With Assassination Vacation, she takes us on a road trip like no other -- a journey to the pit stops of American political murder and through the myriad ways they have been used for fun and profit, for political and cultural advantage.

From Buffalo to Alaska, Washington to the Dry Tortugas, Vowell visits locations immortalized and influenced by the spilling of politically important blood, reporting as she goes with her trademark blend of wisecracking humor, remarkable honesty, and thought-provoking criticism. We learn about the jinx that was Robert Todd Lincoln (present at the assassinations of Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley) and witness the politicking that went into the making of the Lincoln Memorial. The resulting narrative is much more than an entertaining and informative travelogue -- it is the disturbing and fascinating story of how American death has been manipulated by popular culture, including literature, architecture, sculpture, and -- the author's favorite -- historical tourism. Though the themes of loss and violence are explored and we make detours to see how the Republican Party became the Republican Party, there are all kinds of lighter diversions along the way into the lives of the three presidents and their assassins, including mummies, show tunes, mean-spirited totem poles, and a nineteenth-century biblical sex cult.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:51 -0400)

A tour of key historic sites in America where incidents of political violence have occurred reveals lesser-known points of interest pertaining to each and shares information about how history has been shaped by popular culture and tourism.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible