Housebroken: A Horror Thriller by The Behrg

Housebroken: A Horror Thriller

by The Behrg

Housebroken by The Behrg is one of the worst books I have read. If someone wants to read just torture and cruelty, this is your book. No plot, flat characters, and inhuman atrocities. Two guys invade home. Hold family captive to observe them. Any of them break their rules they are violently punished. Violent is not even a strong enough word. They burn the dog up, set the wife on fire...and so much more. Yeah, this kind of book. No plot. You never find out why the guys are there. You find out a little background of one of the guys but that's it. The family characters are not even developed. Maybe it is a good thing we don't get to know them and they are just cardboard characters since they suffer so much. This is just a book for someone to write bloodthirsty things down. I can't believe people are giving this 5 stars! Really? Where is the plot? There is suspense, you don't know what is going to be written next but you don't care about the people so much because we don't know them, just want to see what horrible thing is going to be written. Sick. I wanted to quit reading but if I did, I couldn't review it. I wanted to review this book to warn anyone else like me that just picks it up and sees a dog burn to death! There is worse in here too. Don't go here. Hated this book. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Sep 3, 2017 |
Blake is a rich man with a wife and teenage son. Things look perfect on the outside and he thinks they are about to get better when he moves across the country to a new home in a gated community in California. After they settle into their new home a strange person comes to their door selling magazines, Blake refuses to buy and sets off a chain reaction of events. Now Blake and his family are at the mercy of two sociopath kidnappers.

These kidnappers don’t want money though or to torture them. What they want is to observe Blake and his family for one week to see how they became so successful. There is a catch, though if you break one of their rules the kidnappers have promised to torture them and they have proof to show how vicious they can be. Blake is caught in a game of survival his perfect life starts to erode and he has to reevaluate what is most important.

I loved the concept behind Housebroken by The Berg. You can tell that the kidnappers come from a rough background and the idea that they just wanted to see what made these rich people different is an intriguing idea. After awhile you start to see that Blake’s life isn’t as perfect as it looks and it doesn’t take a lot to make everything come undone. What I liked best about this book is that all the characters were shades of gray. There were times that the kidnappers came across like they weren’t bad people and you could have sympathy for them and there were times when Blake’s family showed that each one had a dark side. I cared about all of these characters to an extent and in the beginning, I even liked the kidnappers and could understand their point of view, though the story gets more complex as it moves along.

As much as I loved the characters though there were also scenes in this book that came across as so ridiculous that I almost wanted to stop reading. I don’t want to give anything away but at one point there was a scene with a car and also by their pool where I was asking how was that even possible and then there was an escape attempt where I was just scratching my head in confusion. There was also a scene with a doctor that I thought wasn’t necessary at all.

Despite its flaws I did enjoy this book, there are some well-written scenes and I loved the depth given to the characters and how their feelings are described. The best part of this book though is how you feel for the family. At first, they come across as a normal slightly dysfunctional family, then it gets revealed that they may be even worse than the reader thought. You still care for them though because you see how despite their conflicts they are still counting on each other to survive. Housebroken is a page turner and even though the story has its problems, it’s still good enough where I was wondering what else has this author written. ( )
  dwatson2 | Jul 2, 2016 |

Thrillers can be a dime a dozen. I’ve read so many over the years that I hesitate half the time to start a new one, fearing it will be the same old rehash as the last one. Housebroken looked different enough to be promising, holding something fresh and twisted, so I hopped on it with hope, and let me say that I’m glad I did, because I haven’t read anything quite like this one.

It almost feels like a lifetime is covered in this novel, so much happens in so little time, yet it doesn’t quite cross the boundary of being overwhelming. So, pacing? A big thumbs-up.

Even though the plot is event filled, it’s a character driven book as it focuses more on psychological torment and jabbing than anything else. Blake is a …strange lead. I liked him well enough at first, even if he didn’t stand out in any unique light, but for some reason ended up turning against him later. There’s just something weak and unlikeable about the man. There’s no telling what tragedy and stress will bring out of people, but with him it was always there, just shown more clearly when faced in these situations.

Adam interested me the most out of the family of victims. He had enough about him that was different to keep from being too mainstream, his edginess helped push the story forward as they battled their captors. All three had strong personalities but with their own focuses – Blake’s was his drive in business and his intellect, his capacity for technology and advancement; Jenna’s seems to be her motivation to ignore the bad to survive the present, to come out on top somehow and someway; Adam just left me fascinated as he didn’t always act the way most would.

Overall this was a great book that was hard to put down and, despite all that was happening, the pace kept up with the busy story. The family goes through hell as the blazingly violent psychos go as far as they threaten to go when rules are broken. Several surprising twists in store for the family kept me on my toes, and there are mysteries here that the reader doesn’t even know are supposed to be mysteries until later on.

I would have thrown in the five star rating, but I wasn’t completely happy with the very ending. Small squabbles aside, this book is highly recommended.

I received this for review from Maxine at Booklover Catlady Book Reviews & Publicity
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
3.5 stars

For the sheer terror of it, Housebroken gets all the stars.
For the pacing and suspense, it also gets all the stars.
I read this in a day, only putting it down to do what I absolutely had to do. And there were moments I felt ill, imagining the trauma these characters endured.
So if you love a good scare, this will keep you enthralled.

However, there were a few detractions.
There's a bit too much going on here - who's really in charge? who's actually who? what long-lost connections are uncovered? - these are all running threads in the story. Along with high-tech intrigue, mercenaries, a couple scenes seemingly written for the movie version, it's like everything was crammed in.
And left out is some of the humanity of the characters. The author does give us backstory, and the victims are not completely wooden. But the final scene's unlikeliness just underscores the lack of depth given to the individuals. The author hints that more terror is in store for these people, but given what they went through, you'd think they'd be much more guarded in this scene.

The part that is most interesting is the main character's son. He's a wild card, and more time should be spent on him and his young mind. That's all I'm going to say about him, because I don't want to spoil anything for you.

If you're looking for a book you can't put down, DEFINITELY pick this up. The flaws are outweighed by the thrill of it. I'd read more by this author any time.

Thanks to the Author and Publicist for my copy of this book to read and review. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
Housebroken is like a non-stop action movie. It is fast and relentless. There is a lot of graphic violence so much so I nearly stopped reading at one stage (that pool scene at the beginning, that's still in my mind even now). If you are sensitive, this may not be the book for you. However, the writing was so refined and totally awesome, and there were so many intriguing developments, I just had to keep going to find out what exactly was going on and why. The storyline and all the characters are extremely well developed, and as the plot thickens you get enough of the characters' histories that you feel emotionally involved. While I didn't find any of the characters redeeming, they were fascinating in a sick sort of way. The most mesmerizing character though was neither the protagonist nor the vicious villain but the protagonist's son. I loved the little hints that gave you just enough to carry on reading to find out what exactly the deal was. Not my usual type of book, but well worth reading, and I would certainly read more by this author simply because I liked his style of writing.
Thanks to the author and his publicist for my copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.
  Pet12 | Aug 4, 2015 |

"It was a kidnapping, but in all the wrong ways. No ransom, no demands; there was nothing they wanted -- other than to observe."

When Blake Crochet and his family are taken hostage in their own home, they are forced to act out their everyday lives under the observance of two psychotic kidnappers. They soon learn that the consequences of both action and inaction are more terrifying than they imagined.

As the motives behind the home invasion are revealed, Blake must sacrifice everything to hold on to the ever-shifting definition of what his family has become. In his battle for survival, he will face the ultimate consequence: for to fight a devil, you may have to become one yourself.

Some rules hurt when broken. Others can kill.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:16:07 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible