The Searcher by Simon Toyne

The Searcher

by Simon Toyne

I've just finished reading this, and immediately looked for the second book in the series. Blast! It's not been published yet!

I nearly gave this title a miss — I dislike this growing practice of adding a "puff" as a subtitle — but I read the blurb and was intrigued enough to download a sample. When I got to the end of the sample, I bought the book and carried on reading.

It begins with a man running from a plane crash in the Arizona desert. He doesn't know who he is, or how he got there. All he knows is that he is there to save a man. There is a name in his suit: Solomon Creed; and a book in the pocket with the inscription: Gifted to Solomon Creed by James Coronado. He is convinced that James Coronado is the man he is there to save.

At the same time as the crash, in the historic cemetery on the hillside above the nearby town of Redemption, there is a funeral taking place. A man called James Coronado is being buried. Temporarily derailed from his mission, Creed gets involved with the townspeople fighting the fires started by the exploding plane. He realises that he knows exactly what needs to be done, without knowing how he knows.

As the book progresses Creed discovers within himself more skills, more knowledge, some of which horrifies him in its implications. But Creed is not the only one with secrets. There is something dangerous going on in Redemption, and a growing threat from across the border.

The story is well crafted, and well written. There is some violence without it being gorily graphic, and the use of strong language is confined to those for whom it seems quite natural - a refreshing change! This is a writer who is able to maintain pace and tension without resorting to cliches, and to startle you with an unexpected twist.

I want to read more by this author. ( )
  Kindleifier | Jul 27, 2016 |
From The Book Cover:

The first novel in the mesmerizing Solomon Creed series in which a man with no memory of his past must save a lost soul in a small Arizona town. On a hilltop in the town of Redemption, Arizona, the townspeople gather at an old cemetery for the first time in decades to bury a local man. The somber occasion is suddenly disrupted by a thunderous explosion in the distant desert. A plane has crashed, and it’s pouring a pillar of black smoke into the air. As Sheriff Garth Morgan speeds toward the crash, he nearly hits a tall, pale man running down the road, with no shoes on his feet and no memory of who he is or how he got there. The only clues to his identity are a label in his handmade suit jacket and a book that’s been inscribed to him: both giving the name Solomon Creed. When Morgan tells Solomon that he is in Redemption, Arizona, Solomon begins to believe he's here for a reason—to save a man he has never met . . . the man who was buried that morning.

My Thoughts:

It is mesmerizing from the beginning with a man running from a fire, with no shoes and no idea of who he is... only that he has a sense that he is there to save someone. That someone has just been buried. What follows is an intriguing mystery. Who is Solomon Creed and why is he at a town called Redemption? His questions will lead him to a town full of secrets, to people that have something to hide, where the lines between good and evil are drawn and some will have to decide which side to be on. It had some great twists and turns that I was not expecting with a touch of the supernatural thrown in for that extra kick. I really liked the character of Solomon Creed and the mystery of who or what he could be. The book follows 2 plot lines that merge... one of Solomon Creed and one from the point of view of the founder of the town in the form of a diary. 4.5 stars and I am looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed The Sanctus series and was looking forward to reading The Searcher and I have to say that it did not disappoint. The book was hard to put down and the character of Solomon Creed is quite unique. It is well written, fast paced, good character development, action, history, with a touch of supernatural. I am now anxiously awaiting the second book in the series. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
As the story of “The Searcher” opens, for the first time in more than sixty years, the townspeople are gathered in the historic cemetery overlooking their town. They've come for the funeral of a local man, but the service is interrupted by a plane crash; the resulting fire threatens the town of Redemption, Arizona.

A man running from the crash thinks he might have been on the plane, but he has no memory, doesn’t know his own name, doesn’t know how he arrived in Redemption, doesn’t know anything except that he believes he's come to save a man named James Coronado . . . the man being buried in the cemetery when the plane crashes.

The name in his handmade suit and in a copy of the book that recounts the history of Redemption is Solomon Creed. The man finds that the name feels right, but how can he be certain? And why does he believe he is there to save a man who is already dead?
As Solomon seeks his own past, he uncovers long-buried secrets that some in the town would rather keep hidden. Can Solomon uncover the truth behind the death of the man he has come to save as he seeks the answers to his own identity? Or will the secrets of Redemption condemn them all?

As each tantalizing clue is revealed, the answer only leads to another question. The mystery of the man and the town intertwine with relentless suspense and pulse-pounding action. Crisp writing, well-developed characters, and the compelling story of Solomon Creed and the town of Redemption will keep readers spellbound until the final reveal.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Dec 31, 2015 |
When a plane crashes outside the town of Redemption, a man walks out of the fire. He has no memory of who he is or why he is here or even if he was on the plane. Yet he seems to have a great deal of knowledge about medicine, firefighting, and the town. He gives the name of Solomon Creed although he is not sure if that is right. He is convinced he is here to save a man except the man is already dead and buried. Yet, he can’t shake the feeling and he is determined to stay and discover what he came to do. The town’s leading citizens seem less than happy to have Solomon in their town but they are determined to make sure he doesn’t leave. Redemption has deadly secrets and Solomon is just one loose end too many.

The Searcher is the first in a new series by author Simon Toyne. It reminded me of John Connolly’s Charlie Parker series especially in the Solomon Creed character and, at least for me, that’s a very good thing. It’s a fast-paced thriller with just a touch of the supernatural and a smidgen of the old west and it kept my attention from beginning to end. Definitely a big Yes! from me. I am already looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Oct 6, 2015 |
. . . all I know is that I know nothing.
Socrates
FOR BETSY
(NO, BEAN NO!!)
In the beginning is the road - and me walking along it.
I have no memory of who I am, or where I have come from, or how I came to be here. There is only the road
and the desert stretching away to a burned sky in every direction
and there is me.

The author of the acclaimed Sanctus trilogy conjures an eerie epic of good and evil, retribution and redemption—the first novel in the mesmerizing Solomon Creed series in which a man with no memory of his past must save a lost soul in a small Arizona town.

As Sheriff Garth Morgan speeds toward the crash, he nearly hits a tall, pale man running down the road, with no shoes on his feet and no memory of who he is or how he got there. The only clues to his identity are a label in his handmade suit jacket and a book that’s been inscribed to him: both giving the name Solomon Creed. When Morgan tells Solomon that he is in Redemption, Arizona, Solomon begins to believe he’s here for a reason—to save a man he has never met . . . the man who was buried that morning.

Miles away, three men scan the skies for an overdue plane carrying an important package. Spotting a black cloud in the distance, they suspect something has gone badly wrong, and that the man who has sent them will demand a heavy price if the package has been lost.

To uncover the secret of his identity, Solomon Creed must uncover Redemption’s secrets too and learn the truth behind the death of the man he is there to save. But there are those who will do anything to stop him, men prepared to call on the darkest forces to prevent Solomon from seeing the light.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:26:26 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,067,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible