Twin Powers by David Pereda

by David Pereda

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added bySheilaDeeth

No tags.

A beautiful scene opens David Pereda’s Twin Powers, with sudden unquiet invading a young girl’s peace as events come into focus. The daughter of a rich doctor is vacationing with her mother in Cuba when things fall apart. Soon the doctor, a dangerous assassin friend, Castro’s family, and many more are united in a quest to save the child.

Nice turns of phrase bring characters and scenes to life, while some surprising understatements call secrets into question. “It was obvious he [the father] was going through a rough patch in his life,” might startle the reader when a man’s daughter’s just been kidnapped. But this father is more than just a doctor, and his past, or that of his wife, or both, might be about to catch up with him.

The story includes plenty of sexuality, unexpected romance, touches of mysticism, fast action, cynicism and humor—something for everyone it seems. Some typos slowed the reading for me (she for he, and for an etc), but perhaps they were just in my copy – they didn’t stop me reading.

Twin Powers surprised me most in that the powers of its titular twins are so low-key, almost sidelined in the plot. I wish there had been more about them, but I’m guessing, since this reads like the middle of a series, there’s bound to be plenty more to come.

Disclosure: I bought a copy long ago when it was free. I’m just sorry it took me so long to get around to reading it. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Aug 4, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,861,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible