Stunned by Sarah Noffke
711,138,814 (3.67)None

Roya Stark thought her problems were over after she and her team defeated Zhuang. Now she can finally relax, leave the horrible Institute, and get back to a relatively normal life—right?

Maybe not. Having been persuaded to stay and help work on her brother's secret project, Roya's not a happy camper. But that's the least of her worries when a head official is captured by a secret society of Dream Travelers. Added to that, her brother's getting sick. Roya witnesses him waste away while he won't even admit it.

The students must embark on yet another rescue mission—even while their team seems to be falling apart. And the life of one of their own is at stake...

My review: While I really enjoyed the first enstallment of this series, I was bit more conflicted on how to rate Stunned.

The premise is great and I was immediately intrigued, especially having read the previous book. I delved right into the second. And as it is with most books, parts of it amazed me and parts of it fell flat.

First of all, I'm afraid I'll have to take back what I said in my other review about love triangles. They crush your soul. Why, why, why must the girl always choose the guy who's SO wrong for her? No, I'm not being dramatic. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed in MANY books. Anyway...

Unfortunately, there was one thing that I loved in Awoken that I did not see at all in Stunned. This time around, the mission took a backseat to Roya's love life. Her insanely frustrating roller coaster ride of a love life. I would have liked to have seen less of Roya being torn between two guys, and more action and focus on the mission at hand.

We did get some action, and it was well done and exciting. However, it came too late in the book and when it ended the story still dragged on for awhile and then ended abruptly. I won't complain too much though, because there was another subplot I was curious about which was addressed after the main conflict subsided.

All in all, I did like this book. And one thing I absolutely loved is the voice. Roya's voice really draws you into her story, and I can't compliment the author enough on that. She also makes you really care about her characters. When they hurt—I hurt!

Stunned is by no means a masterpiece, but I believe that the author has a special talent, and if she keeps writing(and I really hope she does), will be able to create some really wonderful works that I'd be first in line to read.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Content: Some innuendo and mild intimacy; quite a bit more language than previous book.

The Scribbling Sprite ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0986208027, Paperback)

Roya desperately wishes she was above ground, on a sunny patio, watching the lake lap up on the shore. Instead, she finds herself trapped with the Lucidites. Her brother is mysteriously wasting away, and at every turn she finds a new betrayal. Just when she thinks she’s finally escaping the Institute, a new danger unveils itself. A secret society of Dream Travelers has declared war on the Lucidites by abducting a head official. It’s up to Roya to figure out who’s behind it and how to save everyone she cares about most. More action packed than its predecessor, Stunned is captivating and will leave audiences squirming from the tension and also begging for more.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:32:09 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,524,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible