Pokergeist by Michael Phillip Cash

Sometimes life - as well as death - is all about second chances. During his lifetime, Oliver 'Clutch' Henderson was considered by many to be one of the best poker players in the world. As a matter of fact, he had even written several books on the subject and gained quite the following for himself along the poker circuit. Clutch had always viewed the game of poker as intrinsic to living the best lifestyle possible; and while his legions of fans unanimously agreed that he went exactly the way he would have wanted - playing poker in a tournament - they nevertheless deeply mourned the passing of the legendary Clutch Henderson.

Telly Martin has absolutely no clue what to do next in his life. After losing his job as an IT computer specialist for a casino - for the first time ever - Telly finds himself at a complete loss. Determined to find a way to become a professional poker player - even though he is turning out to be supremely unlucky as a gambler - Telly makes an impossible wish over a casino fountain in Las Vegas: and suddenly finds himself being mentored by a world-famous poker champion. The only catch...Telly's mentor is none other than the late and very-much-lamented Clutch Henderson.

Together, this unlikely pair of card-sharps must now navigate their way through the seedy gambling underbelly of Las Vegas. However Telly, the hapless poker protégé - and Clutch, the vaunted 'King of Poker' - will first have to learn to trust each other if they are to have any chance at all of winning an elusive spot in the 'International Series of Poker'. Meanwhile, they must find a way to repair their shattered personal relationships and find redemption - both in this life as well as in the hereafter.

First of all, let me say that although I may have classified this book as horror - the horror is more comedic rather than thrilling. I actually had the pleasure of reading another of Michael Phillip Cash's books - Schism: The Battle For Darracia back in June of 2014. This book was just as pleasurable for me to read; in my opinion, the author has created engaging and believable characters and an intriguingly well-developed plot. I'm also delighted to say that Mr. Cash has somehow managed to achieve a near impossibility with me: I'm actually beginning to appreciate poker!

To be perfectly honest, I've never paid that much attention to poker. Having never actually played the game myself, I guess that I just couldn't really understand the draw of it as a profession. Having said that, I would certainly give this book an A! ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Feb 3, 2017 |
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

I Loved the cover of this book. I have read 2 other book by Mr. Cash which did not disappoint so I could not wait to get started on this one.

Pokergeist is set in VI VIA LasVegas and a porker tournament. The Big One. After the winning Gold watch. Telly Martin is an awful gambler who is trying to be a professional poker player. He thinks he got what it takes but keeps failing badly. His wife is ready to leave him because he refuses to get a real job and thinks this next poker game is going to put them at the top. Little did he know that legand Clutch Henderson wants to win….. even though he died and is now a ghost.
For some reason Telly is the only one that can see and hear him. Telly and Cluth must naviage a gambling working in Las Vegas learning to trust each other in order to win the elusive international series of poker and repair both their shattered personal relationships and to hopefully find redemption in both of their lifes.

All in all this was a great book… I am not a big poker fan and since this book is mainly poker I had a hard time getting through it. BY NO MEANS is this book boring or bad……. I just am not a big poker fan….

You will not be disappointed. ( )
  sareiner | Nov 10, 2016 |

I couldn't resist the lure of this book - a bad ass cover and a ghost. I love ghosts, but they're kind of the underdog of fiction. Random hauntings are common, but actual ghost character? I don't read enough of them.

I went into this thinking it was a paranormal ghost-themed mystery. By the way, there's no mystery and I was wrong. I don't know how to categorize this other than general paranormal fiction. It's a short read and a fast fly through this ghostly romp, but while the beginning is great and the ending satisfying, the middle lags behind.

Writing style was good and dialogue convincing enough, but the author does need to work on point of view shifts. Points of view are randomly changed in the middle of the scene, which is a 'writing no.' Some of the characters got on my nerves eventually, like the girlfriend, who became too whiny and demanding. She was all for it before, so why - when he wins - is she so against? I get the lying deal but if she'd just listen for a second to someone she supposedly trusts and let's the man actually explain...

At first I was into the poker spiel, but I couldn't hold interest for the whole duration. I think what it was is that the story dished out all the goodies too soon, so that the first part was entrancing, but when you get to the mid and there's no big revelations, game changers, twists, or surprises left, you're kind of coasting along for the rest of the ride until it stops.

I did like the ending though, it had a surprise at the big showdown and then a sweet wrap-up.

Overall worth a read - it's different and it has a GHOST (*heart*), but it needs some tweaking to be a higher rated haunt. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Pokergeist is a great story about a poker champion, Clutch, raised by his grandparents that lacked affectation and his grandfather was a poker champion. He dies and refuses to go on because he wants the champion bracelet. He meets a guy, Telly, who is down on his luck, a all around good guy, no skill at poker, and needs money. Telly makes a wish to win the poker championship at the same time Clutch is there and somehow Telly now can see and hear him. It makes for some funny experiences. Telly's girlfriend doesn't want him in the poker games due to his history and wants him to have a regular job. Clutch convinces him to play with Clutch's help. It makes for a strange time. A very interesting, fun read. The plot was steady and purposeful. The characters were well developed. The read was fun and had a twist at the end. I reviewed this book for NetGalley. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Mar 7, 2016 |
“Shuffle up and deal”

I love ghosts, hauntings and poker and Pokergeist has all those things.

Pokergeist is a spine tingling novel that grabbed me and never let me go.

I felt for Telly Martin. If it wasn’t for bad luck, he would have none at all.

He reaches for the brass ring, only to be shot down time after time.

I thought I knew where this was going and I did, sort of.

Michael Phillip Cash held back a surprise that I didn’t see coming and I love surprise endings. I look forward to reading more of his work.

To see more visit http://www.fundinmental.com ( )
  sherry69 | Jan 13, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible