Look and Be Grateful by Tomie dePaola

Look and Be Grateful (2015)

by Tomie dePaola

look around and be grateful for everything is a gift and is pleasant
  shawntae | Nov 27, 2016 |
37 words

a gentle book

a teaching book

worth reading again…and again

art is so Tomie dePaola

This sweet little book calls us to open our eyes and see all that is around us…the tiny and the large. Let us be grateful for all that is set before us, from a ladybug to a flower to a rainbow as well as each another. Having gratitude can turn our worlds around and upside down in positive ways. Each day is new, filled with much for which to give thanks.

Tomie de Paola’s illustrations are his usual types of drawings, and so perfect for this book. Pale yellow pages are the background for the drawings, colored with gentle aquas, greens, yellows, tans, and oranges. He used acrylics on tea-stained Arches 150 pound paper.

Age Range: 2 – 5 Years

Author?Illustrator

Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is well-known for his children’s books. Over 15 million copies of well-over 200 Tomie dePaola books have been sold internationally. He has been writing, illustrating, and being published for over 40 years. Many awards have been given for his work, including a Newbery Honor Book (26 FAIRMOUNT AVENUE in 2000), a Caldecott Honor Book (STREGA NONA in 1976), Golden Kite Award (for Illustration-GIORGIO’S VILLAGE by the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators in 1982), 1990 USA nominee for the Hans Christian Andersen Award in illustration-International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY), and many, many more. In 1999, he was selected for the New Hampshire’s Governor’s Arts Award of Living Treasure.

He lives in New London, New Hampshire, with his Airedale terrier, Brontë, working in a renovated 200-year-old barn. You can find him @ http://www.tomie.com/main.html ( )
  lindalou924 | Jun 6, 2016 |
A young boy goes through his day looking, seeing, and being grateful for the simple things in life. As stated, "Every day is a gift". This is very true and I love the message that way able to unfold here. Nothing should be taken for granted, and being thankful for all of our blessings is important. ( )
  jmistret | Mar 31, 2016 |
Tomie de Paola teaches children around the word to be grateful for every little thing. In this world where children feel so entitled to everything, it is good to read them this book so they learn to be grateful.
  Lenoir16 | Mar 19, 2016 |
For all the children
Open your eyes, and look.

In this meditative and joyful book, a young boy awakens with the dawn, opens his eyes and looks closely at his world. He admires all that surrounds him, large and small, from the radiant sun to a tiny, but exquisite, lady bug.

"Today is today, and it is a gift," writes Tomie dePaola. Simply told, penned in graceful hand-lettering and illustrated with jewel-like paintings, this inspiring picture book encourages each one of us to be thankful.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 28 Aug 2015 14:04:40 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible