My Two Blankets by Irena Kobald

My Two Blankets

by Irena Kobald

Other authors: Freya Blackwood (Illustrator)

I never thought I'd be studying and critically analysing picture books at Uni, but thank you professors! I think this is one of my favourites so far. The art is gorgeous, and the story is incredibly meaningful and just plain lovely. ( )
  EarlGreyBooks | Aug 2, 2017 |
Summary:
This book follows a little girl and her family who move to a new country. The little girl feels swallowed up by all the new, and every time she felt overwhelmed, she covered up with her old "blanket." One day at the park, another little girl waved to her. Days later, the two little girls become friends. As time passes, the little girl starts to learn a new language thanks to her new friend. She started to feel more comfortable, and started to make a new "blanket." Now she is starting to feel better in this new country, and realized that no matter what blanket she uses...she will always be herself.

Personal Reflection:
This is a cute book that shows how overwhelmed people can be when moving to a new place. It helps you understand the difficulties people go through, and how important it is to be nice to those around you.

Classroom Extension:
1.) We could design out own "blanket," highlighting the aspects of out lives that make us, us.
2.) We could discuss the importance of always being yourself, and how accepting others the way they are is the right decision.
  JenniferPrice | Jul 6, 2017 |
"My Two Blankets" is a story about a girl who leaves her home country with her Auntie and moves to a new country. She struggles because everything is so strange to her and she can't speak the language. However, she meets a girl at the park and the girl helps teach her the language. I found this book to be very relevant to today's times. I also found this book to be compelling. I've never really thought about what moving to a new country is like for an immigrant, especially a child, and this book helped give me some perspective on it. The art was well done and I thought it matched the tone of the book. I think this book would be great to have in the classroom to help encourage students to branch out to new students.
  BrettMartin | Apr 22, 2017 |
When a young girl, nicknamed Cartwheel by her aunt/guardian, moves from her war-torn African country to Australia in this moving picture-book examination of the refugee experience, she finds everything around her strange and discomforting. The language of her new country is especially distressing, surrounding her with a "waterfall" of sounds that make her feel cold and isolated. She takes comfort in a "blanket" of the familiar - in the colors and sounds of home. But then Cartwheel is approached by a friendly girl at the park, a girl who plays with her, and patiently teaches her new words. Slowly, Cartwheel begins to construct a new blanket, made from the sounds and experiences of her new world...

A beautiful book - conceptually, textually, aesthetically - My Two Blankets offers a poignant examination of the experience of newly arrived refugees (and of immigrants in general), concluding in a hopeful and uplifting way. I really appreciated the central metaphor that Irena Kobald - who makes her debut here - utilizes, as the idea of our native language and culture being a sort of security blanket for us is spot on, and is a notion with which younger children will be able to readily identify. I don't know if all children would be as persistent as Cartwheel's new friend - would they feel awkward approaching someone new? - but this story will encourage young readers and listeners to take a chance, even if the newcomer can't fully communicate with them at first. The story here touched my heart, but the artwork, done in a combination of oil and watercolor paint by the immensely talented Freya Blackwood, was also immensely appealing, capturing the emotional journey of the main character perfectly. This was no surprise, as Blackwood is one of my absolute favorites - her work on The Selkie and the Fisherman, sadly not available in the USA, was outstanding. In sum: an outstanding picture-book, one I would recommend wholeheartedly to anyone looking for children's stories about the refugee/immigrant experience, or about friendship across cultural and linguistic barriers. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jan 18, 2017 |
I liked this book because it showed friendship. It also, showed diversity and that people who are different can be friends.
  Elisabeth_Reil | Jun 2, 2016 |

Irena Kobaldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackwood, FreyaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Cartwheel moves to a new country with her auntie, and everything is strange: the animals, the plants—even the wind. An old blanket gives Cartwheel comfort when she’s sad—and a new blanket just might change her world.

This multicultural story of friendship is about leaving home, moving to a foreign and strange place, and finding a new friend. It's a story for all who have experienced change. Irena Kobald’s poetic text, paired with Kate Greenaway medalist Freya Blackwood's powerful paintings, renders an emotional and heart-warming story about two children from diverse backgrounds coming together to become new friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:42:55 -0400)

Summary: Cartwheel has arrived in a new country, and feels the loss of all she's ever known. She creates a safe place for herself under an 'old' blanket made out of memories and thoughts of home. As time goes on, Cartwheel begins to weave a 'new' blanket, one of friendship and a renewed sense of belonging. It is different from the old blanket, but it is eventually just as warm and familiar.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible