Where Treasure Hides by Johnnie Alexander

Where Treasure Hides

by Johnnie Alexander

234459,532 (5)None

Where Treasure Hides, first novel by Johnnie Alexander is one not to be missed. A wonderful story of WWII intrigue, love and heartache. Alexander has captured the WWII era well with a realistic story and believable characters. Readers are given a glimpse of life in Europe during a horrendous time in our world. The impact of the Nazis on the art world and the impact of the war on the Jewish people, especially children are well portrayed. Through the lives of Alison, a lovely miss from the Netherlands and Ian, a British Army captain readers are given a gripping and compelling love story that endures through the horrors of war. There are a number of twists and turns to the plot that keep the pages turning. Alexander has woven the powerful impact of the scriptures throughout the book as her characters bring to remembrance Bible verses that bring comfort and strength. Two especially effectual quotes are: "Strength and honour are her clothing,” she recited, her voice barely a whisper. “She shall rejoice in time to come.” and “Thou are my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance.”…Ian believed God’s hand was upon him, to preserve him and deliver him. A marvelous debut novel.
I received a copy of this book through The Book Club Network in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Anne_Rightler | May 1, 2016 |
Saturday, April 2, 2016
Where Treasure Hides by Johnnie Alexander, © 2013
World War, 1939-1945

She felt a kinship with the embroiderer, the mysterious need to preserve a slice of time before it flowed into the mists of memory.
"I had to capture the moment."
--Where Treasure Hides, 13

August 1939 ~ London, England
A strain of music drew her as she waited at the train station ~ "Rule, Britannia!" and the holder of the violin not more than seven or eight, played with his heartstrings for all to hear and believe. That Alison Schuyler should be there at the exact same moment Lieutenant Ian Devlin was watching out for young Josef Talbert, Kindertransport identity label 127. Boarding his train, Alison notices she has missed her connection ... and her heart that day, as Lt. Devlin invites her to tea and memories. He was a soldier on the eve of war. A chance meeting at Waterloo Station....

I have just finished reading Chapter Four and tears cover my eyes, hating for them to part. Especially, with her parting thoughts through the window of the train: "You're safe now, Ian Devlin," she whispered. "I've left you, and now you're safe." As her train continues down the track, I cherish the few moments they have had together.

Can a day change your life? Ian Devlin hopes it is so. An image to take to war with him with hopes that they will indeed meet again.

This is a story of the hiding of the irreplaceable art of the Masters. Alison lives with her grandfather in Holland where he owns an art gallery. Believing that anyone who touches their family comes to ruin, she tries to guard her heart against the memory of Ian. When England declares war on Germany, Ian is recalled to duty.

Johnnie Alexander has visibly taken us through the throngs of war during this time period in history. I would like to see a continued story beyond Where Treasure Hides by this author. Very deftly written, you will follow the characters amid every turn in their unknown days to come.

***Thank you to Tyndale House Publishers for sending me a copy of Where Treasure Hides for review. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.*** ( )
  lanehillhouse | Apr 3, 2016 |
I really enjoy reading historical fiction and finding out intriguing facts about the time period. This book is set during World War II and the details are so vivid I felt like I was there in the midst the struggles that people were enduring. Alison is a brilliant artist and has a job in her family's art gallery in Amsterdam. She is alone in the world except for her grandfather. When her mother died, the grieve was to much for her father and he left Alison to continue her life with her grandfather. Does she have problems with feeling abandoned by those she loves?

Ian is a British Army Captain who comes to the aid of a young child. The child is playing violin in the Waterloo Station and Ian is seen by Alison helping the child out. She finds the encounter fascinating and begins to do a sketch of the two. Will Ian see her and find her intriguing? Will there be sparks between these two people ?

As Hitler begins his trek for power, the author does an incredible job of writing about what People were going through to survive. . It was a time of despair and chaos. No one seemed to be safe and Alison risks her own safety to work with the Dutch Underground to find safe places for Jewish children. Ian is in combat and sees the horrors of war. . The story is intriguing, powerful and filled with history that is overwhelming to read at times. The writer has captured a story of survival and love and made a rich captivating book that is hard to put down.

I received a copy if this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Jan 4, 2016 |
Title: Where Treasure Hides
Author: Johnnie Alexander
Pages: 416
Year: 2015
Publisher: Tyndale
My rating is 5 stars out of 5.
This is a mystery within a mystery with WW II set as the backdrop for this heartwarming novel. Characters that compel the reader to hope for their success or pray they are captured for their crimes are included. One of the main characters is a young woman, Alison, who is a very gifted artist and has been raised mainly by her father after the loss of her mother.
Alison is sent to Holland to be with her grandfather and to run their famous family art gallery. The family has secrets that seem to be dark and cause Alison to face her fears and overcome them with her faith before they destroy her heart. Alison loses her heart to a British officer when their eyes first meet and the audience travels with them through tears and triumph in the novel.
Some of the storyline reminded me of the movie Monuments Men and other novels that tell of brave people trying to preserve their nation’s culture as seen in various forms of art. Love, forgiveness, anger, regret, and many other feelings are expressed in this touching tale. The protection of the Jewish people is also another theme woven throughout the book. The bravery and courage many countrymen exhibited through their resistance movements still speaks to my heart.
I hope you take time to read this treat written with such authentic attention to detail as well as how faith in Him kept the characters from giving up hope in their darkest hours. I enjoyed the freedom in her heart Alison experiences as she chooses to believe God as well as sharing her artistic talent, seeing it as a gift to uplift many people.
Where do our treasures hide? Are they earthly or beyond this time and space? Read the story written by Johnnie Alexander and see if your heart doesn’t become entangled in the novel like mine did all the way to the last page. Where Treasure Hides is truly a masterpiece!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Aug 5, 2015 |

Artist Alison Schuyler spends her time working in her family's renowned art gallery, determined to avoid the curse that has followed the Schuyler clan from the Netherlands to America and back again. She's certain that true love will only lead to tragedy -- that is, until a chance meeting at Waterloo station brings Ian Devlin into her life. Drawn to the bold and compassionate British Army captain, Alison begins to question her fear of love as World War II breaks out, separating the two and drawing each into their own battles. While Ian fights for freedom on the battlefield, Alison works with the Dutch Underground to find a safe haven for Jewish children and priceless pieces of art alike. But safety is a luxury war does not allow. As time, war, and human will struggle to keep them apart, will Alison and Ian have the faith to fight for their love, or is it their fate to be separated forever?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible