Summer at Sea by Beth Labonte

Summer at Sea

by Beth Labonte

This is my first story by this author, and my fifth chick-lit book. Man, that word really has no deep meaning to me, but each time I write it or say it I think of chiclets candy. mmphs. Right, distracted myself there.

As I mentioned, this is my fifth chick lit book, and I add, by my third author in this genre. I'm not really certain what that is supposed to mean, really.

"Chick lit or Chick literature is genre fiction which addresses issues of modern womanhood, often humorously and lightheartedly."

The only thing that seems to differentiate it from regular romance seems to be 'a story told humorously and light-heartedly that includes the heroine's relationship with her family and friends in a modern setting'. Which . . . well, I've read plenty of romances that meet most of those criteria. For the most part, the thing that doesn't normally match up is the modern part. I tend to read historical romances, not contemporary. So, seriously, what is the difference between contemporary romance and chick-lit? The humorous and light-hearted part? Guess I have to relabel some of the books I've read to move them to chick-lit, then.

Right - this story here. The beginning was humorous. Which is good, because I almost didn't read it. Which would have been a shame, since it's the first book I've been able to give five stars to in this genre. Why did I initially have an issue? Initially think I didn't wish to read it? Because the main character had this 'woe is me, I'm forced to live with my parents at the advanced age of 26, and I could easily move out and live by myself, but . . . um . . stuff' attitude. Fortunately she was quite humorous about the whole thing or I'd have not been able to read this book.

Books that involve characters feeling trapped in their families are not books that I can read easily. For various reasons which I do not specifically wish to mention.

I liked all the main characters, though some take a little to get used to. Summer Eve Hartwell, the main character (26, middle school librarian, lives with her 60+ year old mother and father), Mom Hartwell, Dad Hartwell, and Graham Blenderman (Summer's brother's best friend) all go for a week long cruise to Bermuda. Set up by Eric, Summer's brother, to celebrate his and Graham's success with their Fart App.

Summer hopes to use the 8 days to fulfill The Prophecy - find a husband, finally move out of her parent's home. Mom and Pop Hartwell are kind of along for the ride, reluctantly. But their son paid for it all so . . .. Graham's decision to join and his mission while aboard is not at first apparent.

The story is a fun, sweet, humorous little story. ( )
  Lexxi | Oct 26, 2015 |
If you are looking for a thoroughly entertaining chick lit / romantic comedy to read during the waning days of summer, than look no further, author Beth Labonte's Summer at Sea will keep you in stitches!

Follow twenty-six year old Summer Hartwell as she embarks on a week long cruise adventure to Bermuda with her family. Summer's plans for the cruise include seeking fun adventures, independence, and romance ... but she doesn't expect to find romance with her brother Eric's best friend Graham Blenderman, who joins them on the cruise!

Summer at Sea is a sassy tale that has a wonderful mixture of romance and comedy. The reader is easily drawn into Summer's crazy adventures as she pursues her mission to gain independence from her parents and find romance while on the cruise. This is a well-written and fast paced fun tale that is full of memorable characters and laugh-out-loud moments. I loved the wickedly humorous and witty banter, sarcasm, snarkiness, and sweet romance that is interwoven throughout the story. As the reader follows Summer's hilarious relationship with her parents, to the crazy drama and mishaps, to the unrequited desire for Graham that unexpectedly blossoms into a romance, you know that Summer is in for one heck of a memorable cruise. Reading this entertaining story made me want to go on a cruise!

Summer at Sea is a delightful romantic comedy that will leave the reader wanting more!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a book review program hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2015/08/summer-at-sea-by-beth-labonte-... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Aug 27, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible