Travelers Rest: A Novel by Keith Lee Morris

Travelers Rest: A Novel (2016)

by Keith Lee Morris

The Book Cover:

The Addisons-Julia and Tonio, ten-year-old Dewey, and derelict Uncle Robbie-are driving home, cross-country, after collecting Robbie from yet another trip to rehab. When a terrifying blizzard strikes outside the town of Good Night, Idaho, they seek refuge in the town at the Travelers Rest, a formerly opulent but now crumbling and eerie hotel where the physical laws of the universe are bent. Once inside the hotel, the family is separated. As Julia and Tonio drift through the maze of the hotel's spectral interiors, struggling to make sense of the building's alluring powers, Dewey ventures outward to a secret-filled diner across the street. Meanwhile, a desperate Robbie quickly succumbs to his old vices, drifting ever further from the ones who love him most. With each passing hour, dreams and memories blur, tearing a hole in the fabric of our perceived reality and leaving the Addisons in a ceaseless search for one another. At each turn a mysterious force prevents them from reuniting, until at last Julia is faced with an impossible choice. Can this mother save her family from the fate of becoming Souvenirs-those citizens trapped forever in magnetic Good Night-or, worse, from disappearing entirely?

My Thoughts:

A really good read with a really well thought out plot. Part fairy-tale...part ghost story with a little fantasy thrown in for good measure. Be prepared to have the present the past and the future blend and bend at a moments notice...which can, at first, be a bit disconcerting. The bones of this novel is that reality has ceased to exist as we know it from the first step into the old hotel. 4 stars for a creepy good time.

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The Addisons--Tonio, Julia, and 10-year-old Dewey--have recently picked up Tonio's brother, Robbie, from a substance abuse rehab facility in Seattle, and the family decides to see much of the continental US by driving home to Charleston, S.C. Encountering a snowstorm outside Good Night, Idaho, they checked into the Travelers Rest, the once opulent, now deteriorating, eerie and rambling inn. Shortly after registering and settled into their rooms, each member of the family finds themselves separated and isolated from each other. Much of the time the adults appear apathetic about finding the remainder of the family. When one of the Addisons glimpses another within another room or through a window, they appear to be attired in a fashion of a different. Will the family be reunited? Is there a familial motivation to do so?

The story is told from each of the Addison's point of view. Although I enjoyed the literary theme of this novel, I found that it dragged several times; maybe too much stream-of-consciousness. However, I did enjoy it enough to read further works by this author. ( )
  John_Warner | May 11, 2016 |
This is the story of a family who get stuck in a snowstorm as they are returning from getting a family member from rehab. They stop in a town called Good Night, planning on waiting out the storm at a hotel called Travelers Rest. Strange things begin to happen to each of the members of the family. They end up separated, and each family member has an unique experience while staying at the hotel. The story was confusing – jumping around in time and place. I often wasn’t sure what was happening. I finished the book with many questions about what had happened! I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  peggy.s | Mar 17, 2016 |
Stephen King's The Shinning meets The Twilight Zone. (RA for All)
  ktoonen | Feb 1, 2016 |
The book starts off so similar to “The Shining” by Stephen King – snow storm, spooky hotel, unstable main character. There’s the married couple, Julia and Tonio Addison, their 10-year-old son, Dewey, and Tonio’s brother, Robbie, an addict recently released from rehab. On their way home after picking up Robbie, they decide to stop at the town of Good Night, Idaho and stay the night at the hotel, Travelers Rest.

The four of them become separated and as they wandered the endless halls and tunnels of the hotel, at times their minds became numb and trancelike. I have to say that at times during the first half of the book, my mind also became numb and trancelike and I felt that parts went on for too long. But each time I would start to get a bit bored with the wandering, something would happen to spike my interest. Once the book starts going back in time and you start to see the correlation between the past and the present, it becomes much more interesting again.

The author does know how to create compelling characters and how to pull you into the story. He’s created a very unique world and casts a thought provoking light on perception and consciousness. It’s a very slow-moving eerie story and also quite a sad one, as these generations of people try to break the pull this town has on them.

I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and am under no obligation to give a review. ( )
  hubblegal | Aug 6, 2015 |

A chilling fable about a family marooned in a snowbound town whose grievous history intrudes on the dreamlike present.

With the fearsome intensity of a ghost story, the magical spark of a fairy tale, and the emotional depth of the finest family sagas, Keith Lee Morris takes us on a journey beyond the realm of the known. Featuring prose as dizzyingly beautiful as the mystical world Morris creates, Travelers Rest is both a mind-altering meditation on the nature of consciousness and a heartbreaking story of a family on the brink of survival.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 06 Aug 2015 15:20:44 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,968,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible