The Truth About Him by M. O'Keefe

by Molly O'Keefe
#2 Everything I Left Unsaid
Audio narrated by Joe Arden & Maxine Mitchell
2-1/2*

I'm picking up this series partway through and I think may have missed a lot by doing so. Other than hearing about the main character, Dylan Daniels, having gone to prison for his brother, Max, and some fire that had happened in the past which caused Dylan's physical (and emotional?) scars, I was still left in the dark about why Dylan was still carrying so much anger toward his father, Ben. For a while I wondered if there was sexual abuse in his past somewhere, but I think it came down to basic neglect.

Whatever happened in Dylan's past seemed to be the cause of why he was so cold and initially unable to show tenderness or even receive love from others. The book references some recent sexual history between Dylan and Annie, a young woman who admitted to being married and in hiding from her abusive husband, Hoyt. They have a strange way of interacting with eachother, a push and pull that was confusing to me, and I wasn't convinced of their love story. There wasn't enough there to convince me it was more than lust.

Some of Dylan's family members are involved in a motorcycle gang involved in illegal drug distribution. They are feeling pressure from a dealer named Rabbit who has put serious threats out against Ben, Max, and even Annie. Dylan has been keeping a separate life away from them, designing engines for racecars and supposedly now being richer than Croeses. All of this is told as asides, so I had to piece all of that together. He's drawn back in because he's trying to protect people in his life.

With a little more work on the character development, it does have potential to be an interesting story about this family. All in all, however, I thought this was pretty meh so I won't be rushing out to finish the series. I would definitely suggest reading these books in order because this didn't work well for me as a standalone, and since there are a lot of high ratings for these books, there must be something to them that I just missed. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 29, 2017 |
DESCRIPTION, NOT REVIEW: We played our roles, told each other lies.

But now Dylan is no longer just a mysterious deep voice on the other end of the line. We’re face-to-face and our relationship is very, very real.

We still have secrets—but so much is crystal clear:

The thrilling danger.

The raw, naked desire.

The need to keep feeling the way he makes me feel. Forever.

Dylan is putting up walls, trying to keep me safe, but he can’t shut me out. He has seen my darkness and rescued me. Now it’s my turn, if only he will let me. ( )
  treehousereader | Jun 23, 2016 |
I don't usually read romances this dark, but I won this copy and thought I'd read it. This is a follow-up story to the characters from a book I have not read. While that might have been nice, it wasn't necessary to get into this story. We have an abused wife who manages to remove her husband from her life permanently and a man with a less than promising childhood (neglectful drug abusing mother and father in a motorcycle gang) who both believe their pasts make them unlovable and not worthy of the others' attention. Which of course makes them perfect for each other. This story is about how they finally figure it out. ( )
  susanbeamon | Jan 1, 2016 |
Riveting and mesmerizing. Molly takes us into the dark and brings us back to the light with her word wizardry and brilliant imagery. I loved this book. ( )
  LilithDarville | Dec 29, 2015 |
The Truth About Him by M O'Keefe is a 2015 Random House publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is the conclusion to the first book - “Everything I left Unsaid” and as you will recall that book left us in a very bad place with the mother of all cliffhangers.

Thankfully, we didn't have to wait too long between books, to find out what happened. Suffice it to say, the story charges from the gate with some truly shocking developments.

But, it is finally time for Annie to really move forward with her life and she desperately wants Dylan to be a part of it, but, Dylan is convinced Annie could do better and does everything in his power to run from the love he feels for her and pushes her way as hard as he possibly can, constantly berating himself, second guessing, and beating himself up.

In the meanwhile, Dylan and Annie learn some disturbing things about Ben and Joan, plus Dylan's brother, Max, disappears, making his MC very uneasy, putting Dylan in the crossfire, a place he is trying to avoid at all cost.

As the story progresses, we see two very wounded and scarred people learn to let go of their demons, little by little, face their fears, and allow themselves to receive what the other has to offer. It's a slow, hard fought battle with a lot of outside influences trying to keep them down and in danger. But, these two have a key word that describes them and their relationship perfectly ...Bedrock. There couldn't be a more fitting motto for this couple.

What I like best about this second book, was how gritty, raw, and emotional it is . While this book is written in the New Adult format, with dual first person perspectives, the story doesn't have that immature, whiny angst, so many NA novels have. I would recommend it to contemporary romance readers more so than any other genre or sub-genre.

This is a very tight, taut, nerve wracking tale, on one hand, but an inspirational story too. I did grow frustrated with Dylan on more than one occasion, but understood his wariness, and knew he had to go through some things, just like Annie, in order to take that next step.

The tension was almost too much at times, though, and I found myself putting the book away for a little bit and coming back to it later, simply because it was on such a high emotional plane at all times. That's not a bad thing, but it was intense.

The sexual aspects of the story were very, very steamy, and was very much a continuation of Annie's sexual awakening, which means some experimentation that is firmly on the erotica side of things.

Overall, I was pleased with the outcome and enjoyed this pair of novels by M. O'Keefe, which was certainly unlike anything else I've read recently. It was outside the box a little and challenged me some, and that's always a plus when you read as much as I do.

4.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Dec 4, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,014,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible