I (Don't) Like Snakes by Nicola Davies

I (Don't) Like Snakes

by Nicola Davies

This book is about a little girl who's family likes snakes, a lot! She's the black sheep since she doesn't like snakes at all. Throughout the book, the more she learns about snakes the more she likes about them. This book mixes a fictional story with non-fiction facts about snakes and dispels some inaccurate ideas. ( )
  charneyuno | Oct 24, 2016 |
Summary:
I Don’t Like Snakes by Nicola Davies is an informational children’s book about snakes. The story is about a little girl that has a family that loves snakes. At first she doesn’t like them at all but when she gets to learn more about them from her family she starts to like them. The book tells a story as well as gives informational facts about various types of snakes. The little girl describes why she doesn’t like them, such as the way their tongues flicker, and then the author writes information on why their tongues do that etc. It’s a fun book that encourages children to ask questions about nature and understand nature better.

Personal reaction:
I thought this was a cute book. It shows children that education can help you understand things better, and even show you that you may like things that you thought you never would. I learnt new facts about snakes by reading this book. The author uses alliteration throughout the book such as “slimy, scaly skin.” The author also uses metaphors and similes such as describing a snake wiggling out of its skin as if taking a sock off your foot. The illustrations are watercolor and the drawings of the snakes are very detailed they drawings of the family members are sketchy and vivid with rosy cheeks. There are different types of font; the font that tells the story is more relaxed and artistic whereas the font for the facts about snakes is very solid and plain. This emphasizes the difference between the facts and fiction in the storybook. It is a fun and informational book for children.

Classroom extensions:
1. Learn about the anatomy and behavior of different types of snakes or reptiles of different habitats.
2. Go to a snake park and have a nature guide teach the children about snakes.
3. Watch a documentary on reptiles.
4. Imamate a snake’s movement on the playground. ( )
  Robyn7 | Jul 25, 2016 |
This beautifully written and illustrated book that teaches readers many things about snakes was interesting. A little girl that does not like snakes, has one for a pet! Her family keeps the pet snakes there to help this little girl understand why snakes are the way they are and why they do the things they do. Every time the little girl says she doesn’t like something about the snake, the family explains to her why it is the way it is. I think they hope that if she understands snakes, she will like them more. This story has many facts, information, and pictures on one side of the page, and the little girls story on the other. I personally learned a lot about snakes such as they can swim, and that some even live in rivers and even the ocean. I learned about the different kinds if snakes, such as the nighttime hunter, daytime hunters, and the pit vipers. All snakes are different, they look and act different. I think that students would really enjoy this book and I would definitely use the book when I am teaching my class about different reptiles. ( )
  Diana_94 | Apr 19, 2016 |
One little girl, in a family who loves snakes, really doesn't like snakes, but she doesn't know why. When her family tells her all the interesting details about snakes, the young girl learns to love those "slithering, tongue flicking, scaly, and shiny reptiles."
This book teaches readers all about snakes. From how they camouflage themselves to how they kill their prey, all of the details are covered. All of this information can make a snake hater into a snake lover.
I, on the other hand, will never be a snake lover. I have feared them for a very long time and the details only make me fear them more (especially the details about them killing things).
This is a great read since most people who don't like snakes don't know why because they have never cared to learn more about them. It is very informing and may change the misconceptions that people have about snakes. ( )
  srmorgan | Apr 18, 2016 |
This book covers the basics of snakes at a middle school reading level. The illustrations are colorful and bright. However, it does stereotype young girls as disliking reptiles at the beginning of the book and stereotypes young boys as being interested in death and violence. In terms of biological accuracy it goes into great detail explaining how snakes move and smell, but does not go into any detail when explaining how snakes can unhinge their jaw to eat animals much larger than themselves. Many of the illustrations are cartoon-ish versions snakes. There is a note on the copyright page that a mistake was made in the illustration of a venomous coral snake confusing it with the harmless milk snake. As this is a case of biological mimicry, the author missed an opportunity to explain a unique quirk of evolution.

This book would be useful in a Biology I classroom or life science lesson for middle and elementary students. I would use this book as a part of small group research or to introduce this group of animals to my students. For younger children, they could try and mimic the variety of movements snakes can make, make comparisons to body plans they might be more familiar with like human beings or dogs, and try to figure out the largest item of food that a snake versus a human could consume.

This book could use more sources and more of these sources should be primary sources. It would have benefited greatly by having a herpetologist review the information before going to printing. ( )
  mwestholz | Feb 15, 2016 |

They’re slithery and scaly, and they have icky, flicking tongues and creepy, unblinking eyes. What’s to like about a snake? You’d be surprised!

This little girl has a problem. Her family doesn’t have dogs, or cats, or birds—they have snakes! And she really, really, really really doesn’t like snakes. Her family can’t understand her dislike, but they canhelp her understand why snakes do the things they do and look the way they look. And maybe once she knows more, she will start to like snakes a little . . . or even a lot. Packed with snake trivia, this clever story includes realistic illustrations and simple explanations of snake behavior sure to make even slither-phobic readers shed their misconceptions about these fascinating reptiles. Back matter includes a note about snakes, a bibliography, and an index.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 07 Aug 2015 03:31:48 -0400)

A young girl learns facts about snakes, including their behavior, physical characteristics, and eating habits, to overcome her trepidation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible