Waiting on God: What to Do When God Does…

Waiting on God: What to Do When God Does Nothing

by Wayne Stiles

Waiting on God: What to Do When God Does Nothing is a highly recommended combination Bible Study on the life of Joseph with anecdotal personal insights and applications by Wayne Stiles.

Sometimes God seems silent or absent in our lives and going to the Bible to study and consider the life of Joseph presents a perfect example of waiting on God for years. We can be confused as to why God hasn't answered our prayers, but God's answer often requires a more active role from us rather than just waiting for our circumstances to change. Stiles points out that God may be waiting for us to change - and our circumstances may even worsen while He patiently waits for us to make those changes. We need patience too. Patience is the art of waiting well.

Hard times and difficulties are normal. God's people were never promised a trouble free life and Joseph's life is a perfect example to consider. God does make promises to believers, but there are lessons we may need to learn in the in-between time of waiting. God never said we wouldn't have troubles. In fact, we should expect trouble and difficulties (1 Thess. 3:3–4; 1 John 3:13; 1 Peter 4:12) as a normal part of our lives... along with waiting.

Here Stiles goes through the life of Joseph and considers his life (as well as the lives of his family) in comparison to things and circumstances we might go through today. Stiles uses many personal examples to make the story more pertinent to lives today and help readers see how Joseph's story is applicable to their lives, their personal stories. This isn't really a devotional or a Bible study, per se, but a study of one story and how it can be interpreted to encourage, help, and challenge us in our Christian walk today.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Baker Books for review purposes.
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |

We have all experienced a disconnect between God's promises to us and our everyday reality. We wait, without understanding why. We want to know God's plan so that we can trust it--but God so often hides his plan so that we will trust him. What can we do in the meantime as we are waiting for an answer, a change, or a miracle?

With deep compassion, Wayne Stiles helps readers understand why God makes them wait. Unpacking the Old Testament story of Joseph, Stiles shows readers how to find comfort and opportunity in the time between God's promises and his answers, revealing the perspective-altering truth that sometimes when we think we are waiting on God, he is actually waiting on us.

Anyone who has felt a disconnect between God's promises and their reality, who doesn't know what God wants them to do next, or who struggles with the brokenness of their world will find in Wayne Stiles a wise and trustworthy guide to finding peace in the pauses.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:35:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,653,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible