Wherever There Is Light: A Novel by Peter…

Wherever There Is Light: A Novel

by Peter Golden

Gripping story telling. Sweeping scope that was honed impeccably with not an unnecessary sentence anywhere to be seen. These characters will stay with me for some time. Very thankful to have won this copy in a Goodreads Giveaway. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Well, this book was definitely a meaty, thought-provoking read. Dealing with heavy subjects like race, prejudice, and war, there were several times where I had to just stop and digest the material, reflecting on its relevance to today’s world as well as on the times it portrays.

I liked that the author wasn’t afraid to delve into these heavier topics. Interracial relationships and the history that go along with them are as relevant today as they were then. The judgment that society piles on such unions and their progeny is heart-breaking; every time that Julian and Kendall faced down those bigots and gave them one-four, I cheered. The author delves into murder, lynching, racial pressure from both sides of the color spectrum to not mix, and betrayal while telling this gripping story.

I fell in love with Julian almost immediately. He’s tough, gritty, determined, intelligent, and protective as hell. He doesn’t give a fig what society makes of him, his views, or his life; he’ll live as he dang well pleases and woe betide anybody who stands in his way or threatens his own. I admire his viewpoint on life and its issues; it’s one I hope I can adopt some day.

Kendall I’m a bit more mixed on. I do like her grit and her pluck in pursuing her dreams. She wasn’t going to let familial pressure steer her onto a predetermined road; she was going to pursue her dreams of travel and art no matter what it took.

Her attitude towards how society viewed her relationship with Julian and her unwilling-ness to defend it and him, though, got on my nerves. Julian didn’t hesitate to throw pie in someone’s face after a derogatory slur directed her way; however, when the opposite happened, she didn’t say a word, just looked in the other direction and pretend that nothing happened. She also let the pressure that society put on race and her relationship keep her from building a life with Julian and so hurting both herself and him in the process. A part of me felt like she didn’t deserve Julian because she wasn’t willing to meet him halfway in the fight against society’s expectations and prejudice.

Despite some reservations on how Kendall was sometimes portrayed, overall I really enjoyed this book. It tells a great story that doesn’t hesitate to explore material that other authors might shy from. The main leads were strong enough to carry the story and thematic material, giving these a human face and making everything very personal. Highly recommended to lovers of historical fiction!

Note: Book received for free from publisher via GoodReads FirstReads program in exchange for honest review. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 14, 2016 |
This was a captivating love story between a Jewish bootlegger and an artist Black girl through WWII and beyond. Their pasts as well as their different races make being together difficult. ( )
  snash | Jan 13, 2016 |
Where There Is Light
By: Peter Golden
Published By: Simon & Schuster
Copy Courtesy of Netgalley
Reviewed By: tk

You will meet a man by the name Julian. This will be the only simple thought you will have until you reach the last page and close the book.

You are about to embark on a breath taking journey with Julian. It begins around the age of 12 and into his adulthood. A heart wrenching tale of triumph, loss, and acceptance that no ordinary man should have to endure.

Peter Golden is an extremely talented writer. His tale will take your heart and soul along with Julian. It seems at times you have become an actual character walking beside Julian while observing his life from a first person stand point. A winning heart felt story that will haunt you long after your finished. Highly recommended!
5/5 ( )
  doseofbella | Dec 24, 2015 |

A "panoramic tale of twentieth-century America, chronicling the decades-long love affair between a Jewish immigrant and the granddaughter of a slave"--Amazon.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,646,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible