Slice Harvester: A Memoir in Pizza by Colin…

Slice Harvester: A Memoir in Pizza

by Colin Atrophy Hagendorf

I found this book extremely difficult to hold my interest in until about half-way through. It was marketed as a memoir of a man that set out to review every pizza in New York City.
Not really as much discussion about the pizza as I thought there would be, but that is why there was the blog, I guess, which I did refer oto sometimes while reading this book.
As far as the memoir portion, I found it to be more just reminiscing when he wrote about himself (and that part consisted mainly of drinking/drugs). It seemed that when he spoke of other people, like the pizzeria business owners, he went more into the details of their life making their stories better than his own.

I like the way he described the pizza, anyway. ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | Feb 24, 2017 |
An insane concept by a too young-so-he-missed-all-the-best-parts punk fan: eat a slice of pizza at EVERY pizza place in New York City. Colin starts a 'zine (remember those ?) that turns into a blog, and he's got a large number of readers hanging on every bite. It takes 2 1/2 years at 436 pizza places. Colin drags the reader around to the best and the worst and shares family, girlfriend, and punk clan stories along the way. It's great big fun, despite that fact that Colin is a drunkbag who throws up to start off each day that he does get out of bed. He's a very gifted writer, especially with descriptions of the interiors of the most horribly dank and nasty dining establishments. You'll have to read it to find the best slices. I'm not telling. ( )
  froxgirl | Jan 30, 2017 |
I requested this book originally because I love a book with a gimmick, especially when it’s Non-fiction. I like reading about people deciding to challenge themselves with some sort of goal, it inspires me to want to challenge myself. The author, Colin Atrophy Hagendorf (very cool name by the way!) decides to eat a plain slice of pizza from every pizzeria in New York City. In the two years it takes him to meet his goal so much more happens than just eating pizza. A blog, first and foremost the author gives you samples of his reviews of some of the pizzerias. He made this goal, which was an undertaking by itself, the fact that he took the time to photograph his pizza slices and write creative reviews for each one was impressive to me. He was honest and creative throughout the book without being cruel. You could tell how much he cares about New York and it feels like he’s giving you an insider’s tour to a New York of the past. Although I am not a part of his scene or way of life I really enjoyed reading what he had to say. There is a section in the book where Colin writes a part about the reason he got into punk, made zines, and played music was an attempt to assert him as one of those cool weirdos that we see throughout history. I firmly believe he has succeeded in becoming one of these cool weirdos. ( )
1 vote book_in_hand | Sep 19, 2015 |
This book is for Scott Hagendorf and Jamie Ewing
Less than a dozen blocks from the very tip-top of the island of Manhattan sits Grandpa's Brick Oven Pizza, its oddly tropical facade a bright orange contrast to the drab surrounding buildings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,145,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible