The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren…

The Masque of the Black Tulip

by Lauren Willig

Series: Pink Carnation (2)

Amateur night in the Regency World of espionage continues as the French spy, the Black Tulip, is a target for British counter-espionage.
  jamespurcell | Apr 8, 2019 |
well, there was no bodice ripping (though there was shift ripping =])!

I liked that Ms. Willig had a parallel story line going on with the researcher and her subject- though she's now sucked me into reading the next novel to see what happens with the researcher and her potential love interest...

It was fun, a nice flouncy romp (if those can be flouncy) through regency England and it's nest of spies and potential spyees..er, those spied upon. ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
Vacillating between "the heights of espionage to the depths of French farce" (or a Wodehouse-styled bungling with some assistance courtesy of Reginald “Turnip” Fitzhugh), Willig has produced another energetic and breezy rollicking romp through 1803 Europe and modern 2003 England. Romance continues to sizzle and thrum off the pages with our new romantic couple Miles and Henrietta providing just as much romantic misadventure as Richard and Amy did in the first installment of the series. Continuing the winning formula from the previous book, Willig presents readers with a formidable foe for Miles in the form of the brooding Lord Vaughn, a known rake of London society according to Henrietta’s mother, the Marchioness of Uppington. While the unmasking of the Black Tulip was no surprise to me, I found the budding relationship between Miles and Henrietta to be a delight. The fact that even Eloise has her own misadventures gives the two story-lines a parallel aspect.

Overall, a wonderful blending of Regency romance with swashbuckling Napoleonic Wars espionage anchored to the present via the modern day story-line of historian student/archivist Eloise Kelly. ( )
1 vote lkernagh | Mar 5, 2017 |
This is the second of 12 (full) books (there are also two novellas and a short story) in the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig (whose bio sounds a bit like the Eloise character in the book).  I listened to the first in the series a couple years ago, and enjoyed it, so I decided to continue when I wanted a "light" read (or listen, in this case).

It's still 1803 (summer), but this book focuses on two characters who played a minor role in the first book, Lady Henrietta Selwick and Miles Dorrington.  They are, respectively, the little sister and the best friend of Sir Richard Selwick, the former spy known as "The Purple Gentian."  Henrietta takes on the bumbling amateur spy role played by her now-sister-in-law Amy Balcourt Selwick from the first book.  In this case, she and Miles are trying to catch the mysterious French spy, the Black Tulip.

Naturally there is romance and some steamy sex and a few cameos by real historical characters, although a bit out of context.  And naturally I figured out pretty quickly who the Black Tulip was.

Once again, framing this story is the 2003 tale of Eloise, who is continuing her work on a dissertation on the mysterious British spy known as the Pink Carnation.  She spends the weekend exploring the archives at Selwick Hall, with Richard's descendant, Colin Selwick (and of course there are hints of romance there - at least for Eloise - but not much).

Kate Reading (real name:  Jennifer Mendenhall) does a fine job with American, British, and French accents and both male and female voices in the audiobook.  I will likely listen to a few more in the series when I'm looking for something funny, easy, and entertaining.

© Amanda Pape - 2016

[The audiobook, and a print copy for reference, were borrowed from and returned to my local public library.] ( )
1 vote riofriotex | May 27, 2016 |
It has been quite some time since I read the first book in this series but I immediately fell into the story again. I love the juxtaposition of a modern day historian's discovery of the papers of Regency heroes and heroines with the story of the heroes and heroines as they were living their story.

I found many parts of the story to be laugh-out-loud funny. In fact, I was laughing so hard that I had to put down the book to wipe my eyes. The situations as two rank amateurs get involved in uncovering a dastardly French agent were both thrilling and amusing. I especially liked the friends-to-lovers plot as Henrietta and Miles each realize that their long-standing friendship was growing into something more but who don't realize or believe that the other has come to the same realization.

I like the modern parts of the story too which has Eloise wondering very much about Colin Selwick who is definitely a man of mystery. I am eager to carry on with this series to find out what happens next in 1803 and also what happens next for Eloise and Colin. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 8, 2016 |
An appealing tale that deftly blends the intrigues of wartime with the oldest story of all.
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sandy Huseby (Jan 1, 2006)

Lauren Willigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gittinger, AntoinetteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reinhart, FrankaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verbeek, Annemariesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Brooke, paragon among little sisters, between whom and Henrietta any resemblance is more than coincidental.
I bit my lip on an "Are we there yet?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451220048, Paperback)

...But now she has a million questions about the Pink Carnation's deadly French nemesis, the Black Tulip. And she's pretty sure that her handsome onagain, off-again crush, Colin Selwick, has the answers somewhere in his archives. But what she discovers in an old codebook is something juicier than she ever imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:10 -0400)

Harvard grad student Eloise Kelly achieved the academic coup of the century when she unmasked the spy who saved England from Napoleon. But now she has a million questions about the Pink Carnation's deadly French nemesis, the Black Tulip. And she's pretty sure that her handsome on-again, off-again crush, Colin Selwick, has the answers somewhere in his archives. But what she discovers in an old codebook is something juicier than she ever imagined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,221,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible