Heart Thief by Robin D. Owens

Re-read 10/27/11: This is another favorite of the series. Ruis's gloomy personality bothered me more this time around. I loved Samba just as much as always. The ship and residences played larger roles and were much appreciated secondary characters.

_____________

I wasn't sure about this book when I first started it. Ruis Elder is a Null, which means he has no magical Flair. I wasn't sure how that would work in this world, but Owens pulled it off brilliantly.

I really loved both Ruis and Ailim. Their conflict - she is a Judge and he a Fugitive - was interesting and worked well. I really liked that the setting was something new.

Samaba was a great Fam, too. I literally laughed out loud at her antics. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
Fantastic! I loved this book! Looking forward to reading more, but don't know that the rest of them can top this one. Can't really say why, as I don't want to spoil it. ( )
  booklovre6 | Mar 30, 2013 |
  booklovre6 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I almost couldn't finish this one. Let me say, I did not read the first book of this series, and it's possible that I would have enjoyed the second book more if I had. Honestly, though, I doubt it. The writing style didn't work well for me -- that combination of dramatic Celtic antiquity and futuristic scifi was very disjointed and jarring. I couldn't "fall" into the story, if you understand what I mean. Most problematic, though, is that I found Ruis completely unlikable. He was childish, irritating, tedious ... Ailim was easily too good for him. Now, she was a great character -- well-developed and believable. Too bad she had terrible taste in men.

I did find the excerpt for the third book, "Heart Duel", interesting, so maybe with Ruis out of the spotlight I might like this series after all. Someday I'll give that one a try, but I don't think I'll ever revisit "Heart Thief". ( )
  TheBooknerd | Oct 17, 2010 |
Funny. The Null is so firmly a villain in Heart Mate - it's nice to get behind that 'obvious' characterization and see why he behaves as he does. And both Ruis and Ailim are interesting people in themselves (quite aside from the romance). HeartMates without the 'magical' link. I keep expecting him to come up with a way to nullify or contain his Null field - particularly after Nuada's Sword could detect it, and he had a mechanical version to work with - but no, that particular deus ex machina doesn't come into play. In this book, anyway. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 12, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425190722, Mass Market Paperback)

The story of Ruis Elder -- a man without psi powers on a world where they are prized. An outcast, Ruis must overcome all society to survive, pursue his passion for restoring ancient Earth technology, and win his love -- Judge Ailim D'SilverFir.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:21 -0400)

Destined to walk the planet Celta alone because of his extraordinary ability to neutralize others' psychic powers, Ruis Elder finds himself in front of the ruling Council and in the presence of the gorgeous Ailim, his greatest adversary, who tempts him into a forbidden affair.… (more)

Robin D. Owens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible