Beside Myself by Ann Morgan

Beside Myself (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Ann Morgan (Author)

Member:LindsaysLibrary
Title:Beside Myself
Authors:Ann Morgan (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury Circus (2016), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Beside Myself by Ann Morgan (2016)

Almost plausible story of identical twins who switched roles when young. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Feb 20, 2018 |
A fantastic idea for a gripping psychological thriller and for the most part I really enjoyed it. However I would agree with other reviewers that it did drag in places and some of the characters were just so awful I couldn't quite believe they were real. That aside it was a creepy, enjoyable story. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
I can't seem to figure out exactly how I feel about this book, so I'll go with 3 stars for now...maybe would do 3.5 if given the option. The premise seems so ridiculous that I really struggled with the first 1/3 of the book or so, just trying to decide if I wanted to invest the time in reading it or not. Twin six year old girls - identical in appearance but quite different in behaviors and abilities - decide to swap identities as a game, and then one of them refuses to swap back but no one notices? It seemed so completely implausible that I wasn't sure I could see past it to continue reading, but finally decided to push that aside and see where things went. It is eventually made clear that the main character has a mental illness, and I realized that questioning the plausibility was pointless since it's impossible to be certain if the swap actually took place or if it was something only real in her mind. The book gives an insightful view at the life of someone with bipolar disease and I did enjoy reading it, although it is quite sad and dark. ( )
  mmreed | Feb 4, 2017 |
This is one of the weirdest and most enjoyable books I've ever read so far. It frustrates you, makes you mad, upset, angry and all those awful feelings, you get them for real. The concept of the story is new, or maybe this is my first read for this kind of plot.

The story is about two identical twin sisters that swap places/identities at the age of 7 when they were playing a game, but things find another way when Ellie won't swap back to her identity and keeps acting as if she is Helen. Helen becomes frustrated and tries to tell her family the truth but everybody thinks that she has mental problems, when Ellie is the one who is having some issues dealing after the death of her father.

At the beginning, you get really confused trying to connect the dots together, who is who. Ellie, Helen, and Smudge. The story goes back in time and then back to real life with different personality. You can see how young Ellie is different from the grown up Ellie and the same goes for Helen. And I was also wondering if the mother herself is suffering from mental illness for not admitting the problems her daughters were going through or when she denied the incident that happened to Helen who's supposed to be Ellie and called her a MONSTER. It's a bit confusing, but the ending left me heart broken :/

The plot is really good, the characters are beyond amazing, how she shaped them, from up to low and the other way around. Dealing with mental illness with a family that doesn't want to admit there is a problem and neglecting it shows that to could lead to many other problems.

Well done Ann Morgan ( )
  books.paper.mania | Sep 13, 2016 |
The first thing the reader must do is plow through the very slow start to this tale. The second thing the reader must do is get beyond the unbelievable story line – that twin sisters trade places as a game to fool their parents, but when the twin who is the weaker of the two refuses to trade back, the stronger twin is then forced to accept the identity and treatment generally given to that weaker sibling. This book traces their route to adulthood, complete with mental illness and self-medication attempts, as they are forced to finally confront this lifetime lie when the “star” of the family is in an accident that puts her in a coma. While there are quite a few unbelievable moments, there are some interesting twists on the road to a final understanding of what it means to be human. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Feb 14, 2016 |

Six-year-old Helen and Ellie are identical twins, but Helen is smarter, more popular, and their mother's favorite. Ellie, on the other hand, requires special instruction at school, is friendless, and is punished at every turn.

Until they decide to swap places--just for fun, and just for one day--and Ellie refuses to switch back. Everything of Helen's, from her toys to her friends to her identity, now belongs to her sister. With those around her oblivious to her plight, the girl who used to be Helen loses her sense of self and withdraws into a spiral of behavioral problems, delinquency, and mental illness. In time, she's not even sure of her memory of the switch.

Twenty-five years later, she receives a call that threatens to pull her back into her sister's dangerous orbit. Will she take this chance to face her past?

6-year-old twins Ellie and Helen switch identities for a day -- but when Ellie refuses to change back, Helen loses her self-confidence and her identity. 25 years later, Helen risks being pulled into her sister's dangerous orbit once more.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,751,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible