A Fashionable Indulgence: A Society of…

A Fashionable Indulgence: A Society of Gentlemen Novel (Society of… (original 2015; edition 2015)

by K. J. Charles (Author)

Member:RobynBachar
Title:A Fashionable Indulgence: A Society of Gentlemen Novel (Society of Gentlemen Series Book 1)
Authors:K. J. Charles (Author)
Info:Loveswept (2015), 252 pages
Collections:Read and owned, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:historical-romance, lgbt romance

A Fashionable Indulgence by KJ Charles (2015)

Another Edwardian gay romance with recurring characters in which a newly found potential heir to a fortune, who has a radical political past (and to some extent, present), is tutored in upper-class ways by a dandy with a tragic past. The parties are relatively open about their feelings for one another, and Charles has created a small society where m/m relationships are plausibly an open secret despite the threat of flogging or jail if discovered by the general public. The barriers are Julius’s war-related trauma and Harry’s fear of being found out/disinherited, and more specifically the dangerous-in-many-ways demands of his bigoted grandfather and the investigations of one of their social rivals. Harry’s lack of interest in politics was relatively unsympathetic to me. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 27, 2018 |
4.5 stars

If this is what I can expect from the rest of the series, it looks very promising.
Excellent writing and complex characters, every one of them was well fleshed, not only the MCs.
The romance was great, but this book is about so much more than that: friendship, family, grief, ideals, political views. After a slow start, which was useful anyway to set up characters and setting, the plot picked up the pace and kept me glued to the pages.
And now onto the next.
  Ele.na | Jun 8, 2018 |
Harry Vane has spent his youth on the run from the authorities: such is the penalty of being the son of a known radical agitator. And yet, when his estranged grandfather's agents finally track him down, Harry is shocked to discover that his father actually came from wealthy stock and that his family are prepared to take him, Harry, back in the absence of any other heirs to the family fortune. And yet how on earth is a scruffy bookseller's assistant to be transformed into a gentleman in time for the Season? The burden falls on Harry's long-suffering cousin, Sir Richard Vane, who in turn engages one of the most fashionable men he knows: Julius Norreys. Cold and reserved, Julius has no intention of becoming emotionally involved with anything, but he soon finds that his unwanted task is becoming a more personal project. Embarrassing though it is, he wants Harry to succeed. And, as Julius finds himself beginning to grow fond of another person for the first time since a tragedy four years ago, Harry himself is wondering what reaction he'd get if he made a move on his glacial tutor.

I almost never read romance novels, but Amazon kept recommending this to me after I purchased a book by Sarah Monette and so I eventually gave in, if only out of curiosity, as a kind of dare to myself. I was actually rather impressed with the quality of the writing and the strength of the plot beyond the development of the central relationship. The numerous sex scenes are explicit, more so than I would normally choose, but they are set within a strong narrative and emotional context. Probably best described as blend of Georgette Heyer, Pygmalion and Brokeback Mountain, this is a delightfully frothy romance set in and around the streets of St James's. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Jan 22, 2017 |
I've seen this book around a lot, but I never thought it would be something for me. I was so very wrong. Historical gay romance for the win! It has an excellent plot with proper society and family scandals. There's mystery and drama. It also has hot sex scenes that I wasn't expecting if I'm being honest. Sometimes sex scenes in historical romances are cheesy to me, but that was definitely not the case. I preferred the wording to many contemporary romances actually. I'm eager to start the next in the series. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,677,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible